    software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
    clue him in.

    , Sep 25, 2003

  2. °Mike° Guest

    Have your friend install a second phone line.

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:27:12 -0400, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Phil Guest

    Try This, It will be a lot cheaper than installing a second phoneline -
    "This company will sell you a piece of equipment that connects between your
    modem and phone.
    They can be found at www.eDREAM.co.uk and the machine is called "internet
    alert" page 28 of catalogue" - It tells you when someone is calling you and
    you just hit a button and answer your telephone. I have been using it since
    it came out and it is Brilliant

    Best of luck
    Phil

    Phil, Sep 26, 2003
  4. Richard Guest

    wrote:

    > I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since
    > have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
    > able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I
    > can't
    > for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
    > software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
    > clue him in.

    There are a few switchboxes available for this.
    One is advertised fairly regularly on tv.
    you might try places like "circuit city" or even "best buy".
    Even one of your local decent computer shops.

    Richard, Sep 26, 2003
  5. °Mike° Guest

    Why are you telling me? Besides, on that item, in the catalog:

    "Sorry, Sold Out"

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:09:05 +0100, in
    <bkvsji$ea$>
    Phil scrawled:

    °Mike°, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Brian H¹© Guest

    Richard said:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since
    >> have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
    >> able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I
    >> can't
    >> for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
    >> software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
    >> clue him in.

    > There are a few switchboxes available for this.
    > One is advertised fairly regularly on tv.
    > you might try places like "circuit city" or even "best buy".
    > Even one of your local decent computer shops.

    Doesn't a switchbox break one circuit to make another, as in switch?
    Defeating the object somewhat don't you think?

    Brian H¹©, Sep 26, 2003
  7. Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:27:12 -0400, In this world we created
    wrote :

    >I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since I
    >have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
    >able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I can't
    >for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
    >software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
    >clue him in.

    If an ISP supports V.92 and the user has a modem that supports," V.92
    Suspend" then it will pause his internet connection to take the call.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in jmx to reply :)

    Shep©, Sep 26, 2003
  8. Herbert West Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:27:12 -0400, wrote:

    >I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me since I
    >have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
    >able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I can't
    >for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function of
    >software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
    >clue him in.

    3 ways to do it.

    1.) Get V.92 capable modem and an ISP who offers V.92 service in
    your area. (Requires only standard phone service)

    2.) Get broadband DSL service. (Requires DSL phione service)

    3.) Get broadband cablemodem service. (requires cable TV)

    Herbert West, Sep 26, 2003
  9. Richard Guest

    Brian wrote:

    > Richard said:

    >> wrote:

    >> > I've seen this feature advertised, but it's not important to me

    >> since
    >>> have cable. But a friend of mine who just got a computer, wants to be
    >>> able to be on line and receive phone calls at the same time and I
    >>> can't
    >>> for the life of me remember what I read on this. Is this a function
    >>> of
    >>> software, service provider and/or modem? Thanks for any help so I can
    >>> clue him in.

    >> There are a few switchboxes available for this.
    >> One is advertised fairly regularly on tv.
    >> you might try places like "circuit city" or even "best buy".
    >> Even one of your local decent computer shops.

    > Doesn't a switchbox break one circuit to make another, as in switch?
    > Defeating the object somewhat don't you think?

    Didn't know what else to call it. And there are such things as automatic
    switchboxes.

    Richard, Sep 26, 2003
  10. nemo Guest

    I suspect it's called ADSL and provided your friends exchange is
    enabled I would suggest that he goes for it.

    Regards

    nemo

    nemo, Sep 26, 2003