    drive, they also wanted some pertinent files given to them. I can't
    seem to write them to the medium, they permissions are still on the
    needed files? Is there some app out there that could save me?
    Bonzi, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Bonzi

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Bonzi spewed forth:
    > I'm backing up a clients computer, in addition to the ghost of the
    > hard drive, they also wanted some pertinent files given to them. I
    > can't seem to write them to the medium, they permissions are still on
    > the needed files? Is there some app out there that could save me?

    How about some DETAILS? Like what operating system/service pack? What TYPE
    of files? Where are they located? What are you trying to write them to?

    Toolman Tim, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Bonzi wrote:

    > I'm backing up a clients computer, in addition to the ghost of the hard
    > drive, they also wanted some pertinent files given to them. I can't
    > seem to write them to the medium, they permissions are still on the
    > needed files? Is there some app out there that could save me?

    Wild guess (since you offer no details): if windows, try to copy said files
    in "safe mode", maybe even rename extensions of the copies before you boot
    in normal mode again to be able to burn/backup them.
    Linux 2.6.14-mm1 [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Bonzi

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Bonzi" <> wrote in message
    > I'm backing up a clients computer, in addition to the ghost of the hard
    > drive, they also wanted some pertinent files given to them. I can't
    > seem to write them to the medium, they permissions are still on the
    > needed files? Is there some app out there that could save me?

    Assuming you're logged in as the admin, assume owenership of the files.
    Also, what medium? HDD, CD-R?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Mar 11, 2006
  5. Bonzi

    Bonzi Guest

    These files are on his HD that I have pulled. The ownership is under
    his account in XP, I have administrator privleges (XP) and yet I still
    can't copy them to my HD under my system. I'm sure it's a really
    simple fix but this monitor has burned the answer out of my brain.

    Thanks in advance.

    -Ben
    Bonzi, Mar 11, 2006
  6. Bonzi

    Bonzi Guest

    Also, I cannot get into his system through his system. His mainboard
    blew a power control chip (hence the backup)

    -Ben
    Bonzi, Mar 11, 2006
  7. Bonzi

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Dan told you the answer but whoooooosh! it blew right by you. Maybe this
    will help
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    pcbutts1, Mar 11, 2006
  8. Bonzi

    Bonzi Guest

    Allright the details...
    Their computer: Inspiron 600
    Their OS: XP Home SP2 (don't have build # as I have never booted into
    his system)
    Their files: Various (it's his whole 'my documents' folder, if I touch
    anything in the folder I get an 'access denied' messge)'

    My computer: Gateway MX7118
    My OS: XP Pro SP2
    Writing to: D:\B-up

    What I'm doing:
    I'm trying to put the folder onto my HD through XP so that I can burn
    then to CD
    Bonzi, Mar 11, 2006
  9. Bonzi

    Bonzi Guest

    Yea, I guess I did miss dan's finer point. Even though it was just what
    I needed, thanks!

    -Ben
    Bonzi, Mar 11, 2006