On board Nvdia 6100 graphics does surprisingly well

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Sep 3, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Needed to upgrade....decided I needed a second "decent" spec'd PC to
    stop arguments over who gets it.....oh the joys of family....

    Anyway I got a Gigabyte S series board and thought, well, Ok to run
    runscape until I can afford a discrete video card....only to find it
    runs BF2142 rather well.....in fact as good as if not better than my P4
    with a 7600GT card.

    The interesting thing is the price performance....amd2 motherboard and
    amd4000x2 CPU == 7600GT on its own in dollar terms ($250)...given the
    silly money wanted for a FS800 P4 AGP motherboard or P4 cpu's on trademe
    trying to upgrade my AGP machine with a new motherboard makes no sense...

    I might just sell my 7600GT....

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 3, 2007

  2. thingy

    JohnO Guest

    On Sep 4, 10:51 am, thingy <> wrote:
    > Needed to upgrade....decided I needed a second "decent" spec'd PC to
    > stop arguments over who gets it.....oh the joys of family....
    >
    > Anyway I got a Gigabyte S series board and thought, well, Ok to run
    > runscape until I can afford a discrete video card....only to find it
    > runs BF2142 rather well.....in fact as good as if not better than my P4
    > with a 7600GT card.
    >
    > The interesting thing is the price performance....amd2 motherboard and
    > amd4000x2 CPU == 7600GT on its own in dollar terms ($250)...given the
    > silly money wanted for a FS800 P4 AGP motherboard or P4 cpu's on trademe
    > trying to upgrade my AGP machine with a new motherboard makes no sense...
    >
    > I might just sell my 7600GT....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    What's the difference between on-baod 6100 and 6150? I'm looking at an
    ASUS M2NPV-VM (onboard 6150) with low cost AM2 dual core CPU to
    replace an old SocketA board with a fx6600GT card. Primary use is HTPC
    but also play the odd 3D game such as FarCry on it.

    FarCry is picky about Gfx card.

    JohnO, Sep 4, 2007

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 10:51 am, thingy <> wrote:
    >> Needed to upgrade....decided I needed a second "decent" spec'd PC to
    >> stop arguments over who gets it.....oh the joys of family....
    >>
    >> Anyway I got a Gigabyte S series board and thought, well, Ok to run
    >> runscape until I can afford a discrete video card....only to find it
    >> runs BF2142 rather well.....in fact as good as if not better than my P4
    >> with a 7600GT card.
    >>
    >> The interesting thing is the price performance....amd2 motherboard and
    >> amd4000x2 CPU == 7600GT on its own in dollar terms ($250)...given the
    >> silly money wanted for a FS800 P4 AGP motherboard or P4 cpu's on trademe
    >> trying to upgrade my AGP machine with a new motherboard makes no sense...
    >>
    >> I might just sell my 7600GT....
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    > What's the difference between on-baod 6100 and 6150? I'm looking at an
    > ASUS M2NPV-VM (onboard 6150) with low cost AM2 dual core CPU to
    > replace an old SocketA board with a fx6600GT card. Primary use is HTPC
    > but also play the odd 3D game such as FarCry on it.
    >
    > FarCry is picky about Gfx card.

    The 6150 is better, especially for video playback / HTPC use...it also
    has on board gig as opposed to 10/100.

    http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo_features.html

    That Asus board is better it has 4 memory slots as opposed to the two I
    have (but do you need more than 2gig of RAM?)...it is also $40+ more
    than mine...and I didnt need video playback and I only have a
    100LAN....for your use that looks like a good choice...it is probably
    what I would buy....in hindsight a better buy than mine I think.

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Sep 4, 2007
  4. thingy

    Steven Ellis Guest

    On Sep 4, 1:52 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > JohnO wrote:
    > > On Sep 4, 10:51 am, thingy <> wrote:
    > >> Needed to upgrade....decided I needed a second "decent" spec'd PC to
    > >> stop arguments over who gets it.....oh the joys of family....

    > >> Anyway I got a Gigabyte S series board and thought, well, Ok to run
    > >> runscape until I can afford a discrete video card....only to find it
    > >> runs BF2142 rather well.....in fact as good as if not better than my P4
    > >> with a 7600GT card.

    > >> The interesting thing is the price performance....amd2 motherboard and
    > >> amd4000x2 CPU == 7600GT on its own in dollar terms ($250)...given the
    > >> silly money wanted for a FS800 P4 AGP motherboard or P4 cpu's on trademe
    > >> trying to upgrade my AGP machine with a new motherboard makes no sense...

    > >> I might just sell my 7600GT....

    > >> regards

    > >> Thing

    > > What's the difference between on-baod 6100 and 6150? I'm looking at an
    > > ASUS M2NPV-VM (onboard 6150) with low cost AM2 dual core CPU to
    > > replace an old SocketA board with a fx6600GT card. Primary use is HTPC
    > > but also play the odd 3D game such as FarCry on it.

    > > FarCry is picky about Gfx card.

    > The 6150 is better, especially for video playback / HTPC use...it also
    > has on board gig as opposed to 10/100.
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo_features.html
    >
    > That Asus board is better it has 4 memory slots as opposed to the two I
    > have (but do you need more than 2gig of RAM?)...it is also $40+ more
    > than mine...and I didnt need video playback and I only have a
    > 100LAN....for your use that looks like a good choice...it is probably
    > what I would buy....in hindsight a better buy than mine I think.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    We use the M2NPV-VM for myPVR. Makes an excellent HTPC solution.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Sep 4, 2007
  5. thingy

    JohnO Guest

    On Sep 4, 3:39 pm, Steven Ellis <> wrote:
    > On Sep 4, 1:52 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    > > JohnO wrote:

    > > > What's the difference between on-baod 6100 and 6150? I'm looking at an
    > > > ASUS M2NPV-VM (onboard 6150) with low cost AM2 dual core CPU to
    > > > replace an old SocketA board with a fx6600GT card. Primary use is HTPC
    > > > but also play the odd 3D game such as FarCry on it.

    > > > FarCry is picky about Gfx card.

    > > The 6150 is better, especially for video playback / HTPC use...it also
    > > has on board gig as opposed to 10/100.

    > >http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpu_mobo_features.html

    > > That Asus board is better it has 4 memory slots as opposed to the two I
    > > have (but do you need more than 2gig of RAM?)...it is also $40+ more
    > > than mine...and I didnt need video playback and I only have a
    > > 100LAN....for your use that looks like a good choice...it is probably
    > > what I would buy....in hindsight a better buy than mine I think.

    > > regards

    > > thing

    > We use the M2NPV-VM for myPVR. Makes an excellent HTPC solution.
    >
    > Steve- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Steve,

    How well does the Component Video TV-out work? Do you have to mess
    around with overscan etc to get the picture size right?

    On that topic, why *do* we often have to mess with over/underscan to
    get tv-out to fit the TV? DVD players don't require such tweaking and
    in essence they are doing the same output job as an HTPC (MPEG->
    component video).

    Cheers,
    JohnO

    JohnO, Sep 4, 2007