    John Paton Guest

    Do any intel motherboards still have on board video?
    John

    John Paton, Nov 29, 2010

  2. John Paton

    Paul Guest

    John Paton wrote:
    > Do any intel motherboards still have on board video?
    > John

    Yes, but it's a special implementation. It's a two part
    solution. Intel has moved the GPU inside the processor,
    on select processors. But that doesn't prevent the
    user from installing a PCI Express video card and using
    that as an upgrade.

    1) Go to ark.intel.com, and spot the processor you want,
    with "graphics" ticked as YES. For example, first in the
    list here right now, is i5-680. It has graphics. It's
    also a very fast processor (with a high price to match).

    http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=42912

    2) LGA1156 socket motherboards, with graphics connectors
    showing on the faceplate, support graphics provided by
    the processor. If you pick the wrong kind of processor,
    the connector doesn't work. The processor must have the
    GPU inside it, for the motherboard connector to work.
    In a quick check, it looks like the micro-ATX (9.6"x9.6")
    boards get the graphics connectors.

    "GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H57 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX"
    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-430-Z02?$S640W$

    Looking at an Intel Northbridge datasheet (322169), H55 and H57 list
    these as functions, while P55 does not.

    HDMI/DVI/VGA/SDVO/DisplayPort

    "The PCH’s integrated 350 MHz RAMDAC supports resolutions up to
    2048x 1536 @ 75 Hz"

    It implies the Intel GPU inside the processor, produces an
    intermediate (digital) format, that the Northbridge converts
    into the signals that goes on the I/O plate graphics connectors.

    In years past, the GPU was entirely in the Northbridge (like G45),
    both the part that does the 3D stuff, as well as the part that
    makes VGA/DVI signals etc. What this new split buys you, is
    the usual thing with splits - it allows the 3D part to be
    a purely digital chunk (so the processor doesn't end up with
    a VGA RAMDAC inside it). But it still requires the Northbridge
    to have the VGA RAMDAC, to convert something computed by the
    GPU, into something you can use. The presence of the graphics
    connectors on your LGA1156 motherboard, tells you the right
    kind of Northbridge is present, and then you need a processor
    with GPU block inside, to finish the job.

    Now, if a user plugs a video card into the PCI Express slot of
    one of those motherboards, it means your Intel processor is
    probably still powering the GPU. I don't know to what
    extend it can be powered down, when the BIOS knows it
    isn't going to be used.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 29, 2010

  3. John Paton

    John Paton Guest

    On 29/11/2010 02:30, Paul wrote:
    > John Paton wrote:
    >> Do any intel motherboards still have on board video?
    >> John

    > Yes, but it's a special implementation. It's a two part
    > solution. Intel has moved the GPU inside the processor,
    > on select processors. But that doesn't prevent the
    > user from installing a PCI Express video card and using
    > that as an upgrade.
    >
    > 1) Go to ark.intel.com, and spot the processor you want,
    > with "graphics" ticked as YES. For example, first in the
    > list here right now, is i5-680. It has graphics. It's
    > also a very fast processor (with a high price to match).
    >
    > http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=42912
    >
    > 2) LGA1156 socket motherboards, with graphics connectors
    > showing on the faceplate, support graphics provided by
    > the processor. If you pick the wrong kind of processor,
    > the connector doesn't work. The processor must have the
    > GPU inside it, for the motherboard connector to work.
    > In a quick check, it looks like the micro-ATX (9.6"x9.6")
    > boards get the graphics connectors.
    >
    > "GIGABYTE GA-H57M-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H57 HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX"
    > http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-430-Z02?$S640W$
    >
    > Looking at an Intel Northbridge datasheet (322169), H55 and H57 list
    > these as functions, while P55 does not.
    >
    > HDMI/DVI/VGA/SDVO/DisplayPort
    >
    > "The PCH’s integrated 350 MHz RAMDAC supports resolutions up to
    > 2048x 1536 @ 75 Hz"
    >
    > It implies the Intel GPU inside the processor, produces an
    > intermediate (digital) format, that the Northbridge converts
    > into the signals that goes on the I/O plate graphics connectors.
    >
    > In years past, the GPU was entirely in the Northbridge (like G45),
    > both the part that does the 3D stuff, as well as the part that
    > makes VGA/DVI signals etc. What this new split buys you, is
    > the usual thing with splits - it allows the 3D part to be
    > a purely digital chunk (so the processor doesn't end up with
    > a VGA RAMDAC inside it). But it still requires the Northbridge
    > to have the VGA RAMDAC, to convert something computed by the
    > GPU, into something you can use. The presence of the graphics
    > connectors on your LGA1156 motherboard, tells you the right
    > kind of Northbridge is present, and then you need a processor
    > with GPU block inside, to finish the job.
    >
    > Now, if a user plugs a video card into the PCI Express slot of
    > one of those motherboards, it means your Intel processor is
    > probably still powering the GPU. I don't know to what
    > extend it can be powered down, when the BIOS knows it
    > isn't going to be used.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Thank you very much.