    I won't ask for a 1-10 rating on the D50 because I'm sure that will start a
    huge debate.

    Thanks all...
    BingBangBoing, Oct 30, 2006

  2. BingBangBoing

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "BingBangBoing" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Newbie here....
    >
    > I purchased a Nikon D50. It came with a DX 18-55 MM 3.5 5.6 ED lens.
    >
    > I wanted a zoom, so I tried a SIGMA lens for a while (forget which one),
    > but ended up getting a Nikon ED 70-300 1.4 5.6 D zoom.
    >
    > On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate my zoom lens at? I just wanted a
    > general purpose zoom for outdoor use. I understand there are other Nikon
    > lens lines other than "ED". What are they? Where does the ED line stand?
    > In the middle?
    >
    > I won't ask for a 1-10 rating on the D50 because I'm sure that will start
    > a huge debate.
    >
    > Thanks all...

    I'd give it a 9. It's an excellent lens, just a little slow for low light
    situations.

    Bill Crocker
    Bill Crocker, Oct 30, 2006

  3. BingBangBoing

    Neil H. Guest

    > Newbie here....
    >
    > I purchased a Nikon D50. It came with a DX 18-55 MM 3.5 5.6 ED lens.
    >
    > I wanted a zoom, so I tried a SIGMA lens for a while (forget which one),

    but
    > ended up getting a Nikon ED 70-300 1.4 5.6 D zoom.

    Not a bad choice, if you can handle that focal length.

    > On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate my zoom lens at? I just wanted a
    > general purpose zoom for outdoor use. I understand there are other Nikon
    > lens lines other than "ED". What are they? Where does the ED line stand?
    > In the middle?

    "ED" isn't a line, it's a type of glass (Extra-low Dispersion glass) which
    Nikon uses in many of its better lenses. It helps reduce or eliminate
    chromatic aberration, which tends to be especially a problem in long lenses.
    I don't know how you'd apply a 1-10 scale for your lens, since some Nikon
    lenses of the same f.l. range are far more expensive. If you bought your
    70-300 f/4-5.6 at a good price, you got your money's worth. If you'd bought
    a much more expensive lens, you'd probably have something better optically
    but much bigger and heavier. "Ye pays yer penny and ye takes yer choice."

    > I won't ask for a 1-10 rating on the D50 because I'm sure that will start

    > huge debate.

    On a 1-10 scale, all Nikon digital SLRs rate 10. But of course some are a
    higher 10 than others. ;-)

    Neil
    Neil H., Oct 30, 2006
  4. BingBangBoing

    Cynicor Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:
    > "BingBangBoing" <> wrote in message
    >> Newbie here....
    >>
    >> I purchased a Nikon D50. It came with a DX 18-55 MM 3.5 5.6 ED lens.
    >>
    >> I wanted a zoom, so I tried a SIGMA lens for a while (forget which one),
    >> but ended up getting a Nikon ED 70-300 1.4 5.6 D zoom.
    >>
    >> On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate my zoom lens at? I just wanted a
    >> general purpose zoom for outdoor use. I understand there are other Nikon
    >> lens lines other than "ED". What are they? Where does the ED line stand?
    >> In the middle?
    >>
    >> I won't ask for a 1-10 rating on the D50 because I'm sure that will start
    >> a huge debate.
    >>
    >> Thanks all...

    > I'd give it a 9. It's an excellent lens, just a little slow for low light
    > situations.

    9 might be just a little bit high. I'd give it an 8.743226.
    Cynicor, Oct 30, 2006
  5. BingBangBoing

    rivets Guest

    Another Newbie replying... I bought the same lens; 70 - 300. It's
    excellent, but I don't know enough to compare it to others.
    All told, the D50 is a great package.

    I'm now searching for a speed light, but can't really figure if the
    extra money is worth buying a sb800 over the less expensive sb600.

    Comments on these flash units?

    Rivets, Vancouver Canada
    rivets, Oct 31, 2006
  6. BingBangBoing

    Bill Guest

    > I wanted a zoom, so I tried a SIGMA lens for a while (forget which
    > one), but ended up getting a Nikon ED 70-300 1.4 5.6 D zoom.
    >
    > On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate my zoom lens at?

    I'm picky about image and lense quality, so I'd give it a lower rating
    than you'd probably like. But if it does what you want and gives you
    good enough images, then a rating doesn't matter.

    > I just wanted a general purpose zoom for outdoor use. I understand
    > there are other Nikon lens lines other than "ED". What are they?
    > Where does the ED line stand? In the middle?

    The ED label means the lense contains "Extra-low Dispersion" glass.
    This is glossary at Nikons site for more info:

    http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/glossary.htm#ed
    Bill, Oct 31, 2006
  7. BingBangBoing

    Neil H. Guest

    "rivets" <> wrote in message

    > Another Newbie replying... I bought the same lens; 70 - 300. It's
    > excellent, but I don't know enough to compare it to others.
    > All told, the D50 is a great package.
    >
    > I'm now searching for a speed light, but can't really figure if the
    > extra money is worth buying a sb800 over the less expensive sb600.
    >
    > Comments on these flash units?

    I have both, and both are great.

    If you're just looking for a single flash unit to put on the camera, the
    SB-600 is fine. I would buy that first in any case, since you can still use
    it if you ever decide to get into Nikon's very sophisticated multi-flash
    system, for which you'd want the SB-800 as a controller.

    The SB-600 is really a terrific bargain at the price.

    Neil
    Neil H., Oct 31, 2006
  8. "BingBangBoing" <> wrote in message

    > Newbie here....
    >
    > I purchased a Nikon D50. It came with a DX 18-55 MM 3.5 5.6 ED lens.
    >
    > I wanted a zoom, so I tried a SIGMA lens for a while (forget which one),
    > but ended up getting a Nikon ED 70-300 1.4 5.6 D zoom.
    >
    > On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate my zoom lens at? I just wanted a
    > general purpose zoom for outdoor use. I understand there are other Nikon
    > lens lines other than "ED". What are they? Where does the ED line stand?
    > In the middle?
    >
    > I won't ask for a 1-10 rating on the D50 because I'm sure that will start
    > a huge debate.
    >
    > Thanks all...

    I think the main differences between Nikkor "consumer" zooms and "pro" zooms
    is more to do with *what* they will do rather than just that they take
    better photos. If you are happy not to have those extra couple of stops
    that the expensive lenses give you then there is no big reason to spend the
    extra cash, especially if you are just getting started in DSLR photopraphy.

    Cheers - Adrian www.boliston.co.uk
    Adrian Boliston, Oct 31, 2006
  9. "BingBangBoing" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I purchased a Nikon D50. It came with a DX 18-55 MM 3.5 5.6 ED lens.
    >
    > I wanted a zoom, so I tried a SIGMA lens for a while (forget which one), but ended up getting a Nikon ED 70-300 1.4 5.6 D zoom.
    >
    > On a scale of 1-10, what would you rate my zoom lens at? I just wanted a general purpose zoom for outdoor use. I understand
    > there are other Nikon lens lines other than "ED". What are they? Where does the ED line stand? In the middle?
    >
    > I won't ask for a 1-10 rating on the D50 because I'm sure that will start a huge debate.

    This lens is rated at my www.ferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html, along
    with MANY others. I down-graded it compared with the earlier
    75-300mm due to its unexceptional edge performance when used
    full-frame (all of the lens ratings are full-frame, on film) - but used on
    the smaller digital frame, it should perform quite well at any but the
    smallest stops (due to diffraction). Others described the meaning of
    "ED" - but it refers to the use of low-dispersion glass, used to reduce
    chromatic focus errors.
    --
    David Ruether

    http://www.ferrario.com/ruether