    http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326

    ... is a masterpiece imo.
    , Dec 10, 2006

  2. Rudy Benner Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
    > every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
    > every time....
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen
    >
    > Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
    > Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
    > through those..
    >
    > This shot:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >
    > .. is a masterpiece imo.

    Excellent.
    Rudy Benner, Dec 10, 2006

  3. Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 10, 2006
  4. Mike Fields Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
    > every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
    > every time....
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen
    >
    > Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
    > Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
    > through those..
    >
    > This shot:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >
    > .. is a masterpiece imo.

    Great shot ... but I think I would have preferred to see to shoot
    that with something like a 300mm instead of the 18mm indicated :)

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Dec 10, 2006
  5. Mike Fields Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
    > every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
    > every time....
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen
    >
    > Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
    > Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
    > through those..
    >
    > This shot:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >
    > .. is a masterpiece imo.

    There is definitely a "fair bit of talent" there. The section on
    wolves is great just by itself --- they don't respond well to
    "stay" while I get in position and take your picture.
    Serious talent !!

    mikey
    Mike Fields, Dec 10, 2006
  6. Re: On a lighter note - cliched effects, over-processed/saturated?Maybe, but absolutely stunning..

    wrote:
    > I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
    > every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
    > every time....
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen
    >
    > Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
    > Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
    > through those..
    >
    > This shot:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >
    > .. is a masterpiece imo.

    She has an eye, fer shure. My girl friend does, too, but so far she's
    shied away from using it with my cameras. I did give her my G3, and she
    uses it well, but I am wondering whether I should give her an SLR for
    Christmas, probably my 300D, exactly what the photog. uses in the above
    Galleries.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 10, 2006
  7. Hi Mike,

    > Great shot ... but I think I would have preferred to see to shoot
    > that with something like a 300mm instead of the 18mm indicated :)

    I like the wider angle, but a closeup of the bear would have been awsome
    too. OTOH you have to respect someone who takes a picture of a bear that
    close at 18mm<g>
    --
    Arnor Baldvinsson
    San Antonio, Texas
    Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 10, 2006
  8. timeOday Guest

    Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi Mike,
    >

    >>Great shot ... but I think I would have preferred to see to shoot
    >>that with something like a 300mm instead of the 18mm indicated :)

    > I like the wider angle, but a closeup of the bear would have been awsome
    > too. OTOH you have to respect someone who takes a picture of a bear that
    > close at 18mm<g>

    Did the bear and the trees even come from the same shot? Or should I
    not care?

    I think some of the shots are overprocessed. Too much better than
    reality. I suspect the images may one day appear dated, like songs from
    the 60s when the sound bounces between the right and left channels
    because stereo was the new thing. E.g.

    <http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/28002635>

    That said, she obviously knows exactly what she's doing, and has decided
    eye-popping images achieve the ends she has chosen. I'm sure she
    still has the originals, which could always be re-processed differently
    and still be amazing.

    And quite a few of the images are already natural in appearance and
    still remarkable, like this:

    <http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/46589514>
    it would take a lot of tries to get a shot like that.

    Or this:
    <http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/47753021>
    I don't remember seeing a shot like that.

    She obviously is a very dedicated photographer (and photshop guru :)
    I wonder if she makes a good living from it? Or if photographing family
    reunions is much more lucerative?
    timeOday, Dec 10, 2006
  9. Rich Guest

    wrote:
    > I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
    > every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
    > every time....
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen
    >
    > Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
    > Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
    > through those..
    >
    > This shot:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >
    > .. is a masterpiece imo.

    18mm shot and the bear was that large in the frame? She's lucky she
    didn't get attacked!
    Nice shots, reasonable composition (except for the hay bale image where
    the closer hay bale is intrusive and produces a feeling of blocking the
    view, IMO) but I think the "Brit magazine" inspired overprocessing
    and super-saturated colour fad will fade in popularity at some point.
    For the infrared, I've personally never liked colour infrared since it
    is so meaningless. IR may have a tonal scale, but not a gamut of
    colours and is better served by B&W.
    Rich, Dec 10, 2006
  10. Ron Hunter Guest

    Rudy Benner wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I noticed a link to this person's work on dpreview - she's used almost
    >> every trick/technique in the book, and yet hit the mark just about
    >> every time....
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/zylen
    >>
    >> Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there? (O:
    >> Check her 'Favorite' folder - I could spend a day just wandering
    >> through those..
    >>
    >> This shot:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >>
    >> .. is a masterpiece imo.
    >>

    > Excellent.

    The picture doesn't have the look of a long telephoto shot. If, as it
    appears, this is not a telephoto shot, that bear is ENTIRELY TOO CLOSE.
    Ron Hunter, Dec 11, 2006
  11. Ron Hunter Guest

    Arnor Baldvinsson wrote:
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    >> Great shot ... but I think I would have preferred to see to shoot
    >> that with something like a 300mm instead of the 18mm indicated :)

    > I like the wider angle, but a closeup of the bear would have been awsome
    > too. OTOH you have to respect someone who takes a picture of a bear that
    > close at 18mm<g>

    Respect them, or fear for their will to live?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 11, 2006
  12. Aaron Guest

    And lo, Rich <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:

    > <snip>
    >
    > 18mm shot and the bear was that large in the frame? She's lucky she
    > didn't get attacked!

    Bears don't typically attack unprovoked. Wearing a "bear-repellent
    bell" is usually enough to keep them away. They shy from confrontation
    unless they're hungry and you look like food, or if you interfere with
    their cubs.

    Still, she must be quite the dedicated photographer to get closer for
    the shot while the bear was walking toward her, no?

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com
    Aaron, Dec 11, 2006
  13. Re: On a lighter note - cliched effects, over-processed/saturated?Maybe, but absolutely stunning..

    Aaron wrote:

    > And lo, Rich <> emerged from the ether
    > and spake thus:
    >
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>18mm shot and the bear was that large in the frame? She's lucky she
    >>didn't get attacked!

    > Bears don't typically attack unprovoked. Wearing a "bear-repellent
    > bell" is usually enough to keep them away. They shy from confrontation
    > unless they're hungry and you look like food, or if you interfere with
    > their cubs.

    You only need bells in black bear country. Do you know
    how to tell the difference between grizzly bear scat and
    black bear scat? The grizzly bear scat has little bells
    in it and smells like pepper spray ;-).

    Seriously, some bears are attracted to bells, especially
    a young one who has never heard them before. It is very hard
    to predict what a bear will do.

    > Still, she must be quite the dedicated photographer to get closer for
    > the shot while the bear was walking toward her, no?

    Or it was a controlled environment, e.g. the photographer was
    in a car.
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Dec 11, 2006
  14. Annika1980 Guest

    wrote:

    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen
    >
    > Wow. Is it just me, or is there a fair bit of talent there?

    More than a bit. I've had her on my Favorites list for some time now.
    Great stuff. Makes me want to travel.
    Annika1980, Dec 11, 2006
  15. Annika1980 Guest

    wrote:
    > This shot:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >
    > .. is a masterpiece imo.

    Agreed. I would've called that one "FINAL SHOT OF THE 350D!"

    Looking at her galleries, it is amazing what one can accomplish with a
    cheap body, a great lens, a lot of talent, and a little bit of
    Photoshop.
    My kind of girl!
    Annika1980, Dec 11, 2006
  16. Re: On a lighter note - cliched effects, over-processed/saturated?Maybe, but absolutely stunning..

    Annika1980 wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> This shot:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >>
    >> .. is a masterpiece imo.

    > Agreed. I would've called that one "FINAL SHOT OF THE 350D!"
    >
    > Looking at her galleries, it is amazing what one can accomplish with a
    > cheap body, a great lens, a lot of talent, and a little bit of
    > Photoshop.
    > My kind of girl!

    But her body wasn't cheap, really, when she got it some two plus years ago.

    If she'd get her horizons straight, she'd get the + after the A.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Dec 11, 2006
  17. Philippe Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Annika1980 wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> This shot:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.pbase.com/zylen/image/52939326
    >>>
    >>> .. is a masterpiece imo.

    >> Agreed. I would've called that one "FINAL SHOT OF THE 350D!"
    >>
    >> Looking at her galleries, it is amazing what one can accomplish with a
    >> cheap body, a great lens, a lot of talent, and a little bit of
    >> Photoshop.
    >> My kind of girl!

    > But her body wasn't cheap, really, when she got it some two plus years ago.
    >
    > If she'd get her horizons straight, she'd get the + after the A.

    This is Annika here.. if it doesn't spell Nikon on the body, it's cheap..

    <ducking>
    P.
    Philippe, Dec 11, 2006
  18. Re: On a lighter note - cliched effects, over-processed/saturated?Maybe, but absolutely stunning..

    Philippe wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> Annika1980 wrote:

    >>> Agreed. I would've called that one "FINAL SHOT OF THE 350D!"
    >>>
    >>> Looking at her galleries, it is amazing what one can accomplish with a
    >>> cheap body, a great lens, a lot of talent, and a little bit of
    >>> Photoshop.
    >>> My kind of girl!

    >> But her body wasn't cheap, really, when she got it some two plus years
    >> ago.
    >>
    >> If she'd get her horizons straight, she'd get the + after the A.
    >>

    > This is Annika here.. if it doesn't spell Nikon on the body, it's cheap..
    >
    > <ducking>
    > P.

    Hah! What about Leica? That's what I want written on my body....

    John McWilliams, Dec 11, 2006
  19. Philippe Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Philippe wrote:
    >> John McWilliams wrote:

    >>> But her body wasn't cheap, really, when she got it some two plus
    >>> years ago.
    >>>
    >>> If she'd get her horizons straight, she'd get the + after the A.
    >>>

    >> This is Annika here.. if it doesn't spell Nikon on the body, it's
    >> cheap..
    >>
    >> <ducking>
    >> P.

    > Hah! What about Leica? That's what I want written on my body....

    My friend, You're just a few $$ and a tattoo needle away from getting
    your wish.

    :)
    P.
    Philippe, Dec 11, 2006
  20. Annika1980 Guest

    Philippe wrote:

    > This is Annika here.. if it doesn't spell Nikon on the body, it's cheap..

    That should have read "does."

    My point was that the Canon 350D isn't exactly near the top of the line
    as far as Canons go.
    Annika1980, Dec 11, 2006