    Can I return the new one to Deep Discount as defective?

    Thanks,
    Matt
    buck16, Jul 7, 2004

  2. buck16

    Tarkus Guest

    On 7/6/2004 8:25:45 PM, buck16 wrote:

    > Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
    > scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?! OUT
    > is The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" for some hack song and also out
    > is the Keith Emerson version of "I'm a Man" for some other
    > instrumental crap.

    Is the rest of the Emerson soundtrack intact? That would be my main
    reason for buying it (though it's a pretty good movie, too).
    --
    "I used to work in a fire hydrant factory. You couldn't park anywhere
    near the place." - Steven Wright

    Now playing: "April Wine - I Just Wanna Make Love To You"
    Tarkus, Jul 7, 2004

  3. buck16

    buck16 Guest

    I don't know. I was so disappointed, I pulled the d*mn thing out of
    my player immediately. I'm keeping my old 4:3 version. That club
    scene is one of the best in the movie and is completely ruined by the
    lame replacement music.

    buck16, Jul 7, 2004
  4. buck16

    Meng Guest

    > Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
    > scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?! OUT
    > is The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" for some hack song and also out
    > is the Keith Emerson version of "I'm a Man" for some other
    > instrumental crap.

    Don't know which side of the pond you live on, but here in the UK it's been
    a problem for years, usually with Universal and Paramount titles.

    Back in the days of VHS, these were released by a company called CIC and I
    learned very quickly to keep TV versions of their stuff. Airplane II (all
    Battlestar Galactica music replaced), the Star Trek episode "City On The
    Edge Of Forever" (Goodnight Sweetheart replaced) and National Lampoon's
    Animal House all suffered from this. In the case of the latter, in the very
    first UK release virtually all the 60s background music was replaced by some
    hideous 70s-style music which just totally ruined the film.
    Meng, Jul 7, 2004
  5. buck16

    Eric R. Guest

    buck16 <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
    > scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?!

    Once again, I've been saved by my "No Sylvester Stallone Movies"
    policy. Though I was considering making an exception for the great
    Rutger Hauer, my tried-and-true Stallone policy came through and saved
    me $15.

    -Eric
    Eric R., Jul 7, 2004
  6. Yes, it's true. Music has been altered. The rest of the Emmerson music
    is there. Also, (if memory serves and SPOILER!!!) the final shootdown of
    the Wolfgar is shortened, I remember more shots when it was on cable.
    Both the 4:3 and 16:9 DVD's have less.

    Always enjoyed Knighthawks, too bad the music has been screwed with.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Jul 7, 2004
  7. buck16

    argo Guest

    I honestly really didn't really notice it, I wanted to watch it for the
    movie, not the music. I did notice tha tthe shootout at the end was shorten
    but I wasn't surprised. Only paid $9 for it at Best Buy, I'm not
    complaining.

    Arg0-

    argo, Jul 9, 2004
  8. On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 03:25:45 GMT, buck16 <> wrote:

    >Just got my new Nighthawks DVD from Universal. I'm watching the club
    >scene where DeSilva spots Wulfgar and the music is altered!??!?! OUT
    >is The Rolling Stones' "Brown Sugar" for some hack song and also out
    >is the Keith Emerson version of "I'm a Man" for some other
    >instrumental crap.
    >
    >I just checked the internet and see this was confirmed by another
    >disappointed buyer at Amazon. THIS SUCKS!! Guess I'm keeping my old
    >version.

    It's a big problem throughout the industry. I've worked on several BBC
    DVD's where we have had to change music because either the rights to
    use the original music were prohibitively expensive (several thousand
    pounds to use a few seconds of a Fleetwood Mac track playing on a
    transistor radio in the background, for example) or simply just not
    available at any price (any song by The Beatles being a good example
    of this).

    The situation also changes all the time - hence a song that was
    clearable for release five years ago may no longer be clearable for
    release now.

    In an ideal world, the producers would have bought the music rights
    'in-perpetuity', but sadly this may have added an unacceptable
    overhead to their production budget - and this is certainly very true
    in TV production, where budgets are generally even tighter.

    It's interesting to watch shows like the last episode of 'The
    Prisoner', which features a full-on gunfight and slaughter scene
    playing out to The Beatles 'All You Need is Love' (IIRC). Even if the
    rights were available, I doubt the current copyright holder would
    allow the song's use in such a scenario now, but there's nothing they
    can do about it because the original producer had the foresight to buy
    in-perpetuity rights.

    I'm afraid it comes down to a choice of replacing the music or simply
    not being able to release the film or TV show. One can only hope that
    any replacement is done sympathetically at least. When we had to
    replace two Beatles tracks playing in the background on a jukebox in
    the UK DVD release of the Doctor Who story 'Remembrance of the
    Daleks', we tried to be as sympathetic to the originals as possible.
    We replaced 'Do You Want to Know a Secret' with the original Billy J
    Kramer and the Dakotas version and the other track by a similar
    sounding generic 'Merseybeat' style track. Ironically, when we came to
    make the international versions of the disc, we found that the Billy J
    Kramer track was only clearable in the UK, so we had to replace it
    again with another generic Merseybeat track!

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk
    Steve Roberts, Jul 10, 2004
  9. buck16

    Nomica1216

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    New Version

    Ok March 2012

    I convinced my husband to sit with me and watch this his first time. WOW I was so disapointed. What was that "crap" music replacing "brown sugar" in the disco scene? My most favorite part. What was the reason for the change? I will never watch that again!:trytofly:
    Nomica1216, Mar 20, 2012