OMG!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Rider

    ~misfit~ Guest

    http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BC54E6AE2D6671B1CC256D9B0006994A

    > Now we'll see if the CMANZ lives up to their charter.
    >
    > All I can say is, good luck to warraanty holders.
    >
    > I am so glad I build my own.

    Same here. If I was asked where was a good place to get a PC at a
    competitive price I always used to point people to The PC Company. Recently
    though I've built computers for friends myself, thank God.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Rider

    max Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:09:20 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    >"Rob" <> wrote in message
    >> "Rider" <> wrote in message
    >> >

    >http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BC54E6AE2D6671B1CC256D9B0006994A
    >> >

    >> Now we'll see if the CMANZ lives up to their charter.
    >>
    >> All I can say is, good luck to warraanty holders.
    >>
    >> I am so glad I build my own.

    >Same here. If I was asked where was a good place to get a PC at a
    >competitive price I always used to point people to The PC Company. Recently
    >though I've built computers for friends myself, thank God.

    I have recommended Dell, and I know many people who have purchased
    from Dell who would have previously gone with PC company.

    max, Sep 8, 2003
  4. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > Same here. If I was asked where was a good place to get a PC at a
    > competitive price I always used to point people to The PC Company.

    Recently
    > though I've built computers for friends myself, thank God.

    But if, instead of each of us tech heads building our own, we had sent them
    to the local PC shop, would they have gone bust?

    T.N.O., Sep 8, 2003
  5. On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:42:07 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "~misfit~" wrote
    >> Same here. If I was asked where was a good place to get a PC at a
    >> competitive price I always used to point people to The PC Company.

    > Recently
    >> though I've built computers for friends myself, thank God.

    > But if, instead of each of us tech heads building our own, we had sent them
    > to the local PC shop, would they have gone bust?

    Probably
    I recollect seeing that laptop sales overtook desktop sales in the US for
    the first time this year.
    If that is true in NZ as well it means that the demand for whitebox PCs
    made from half a dozen component parts, or a barebones kit with a local brand badge slapped on
    is dropping, and if the retail supply chain for laptops is fully
    built up units, then why change it for desktop boxes.
    Most of the similar assemble and badge operations have gone now.
    Blame Dell.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 8, 2003
  6. Rider

    steve Guest

    Rob allegedly said:

    > All I can say is, good luck to warraanty holders.
    >
    > I am so glad I build my own.
    >
    > Rob

    This is one of the reasons I build my own......

    Anyone remember PC General? Ever pull one apart?

    OMG......

    steve, Sep 8, 2003
  7. Rider

    Joe Citizen Guest

    > Probably
    > I recollect seeing that laptop sales overtook desktop sales in the US for
    > the first time this year.
    > If that is true in NZ as well it means that the demand for whitebox PCs
    > made from half a dozen component parts, or a barebones kit with a local

    brand badge slapped on
    > is dropping, and if the retail supply chain for laptops is fully
    > built up units, then why change it for desktop boxes.
    > Most of the similar assemble and badge operations have gone now.
    > Blame Dell.

    The PC Company's arrival in the smaller centres saw local shops dissappear
    (just like the Warehouse). Now an even bigger player is doing it to them. Do
    they deserve any sympathy?

    The industry seems determinded to cut its own throat with ever slimmer
    margins on a ever cheaper product. Personally in think its in NZ's favour to
    buy local built pc's, they may cost a little more but they're giving kiwis
    jobs, and maintaining the skills of the local pc service businesses. Where
    has the old "Buy Kiwi Made" slogan gone?

    Joe.

    Joe Citizen, Sep 8, 2003
  8. On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:39:46 +1200, Joe Citizen wrote:

    >> Probably
    >> I recollect seeing that laptop sales overtook desktop sales in the US for
    >> the first time this year.
    >> If that is true in NZ as well it means that the demand for whitebox PCs
    >> made from half a dozen component parts, or a barebones kit with a local

    > brand badge slapped on
    >> is dropping, and if the retail supply chain for laptops is fully
    >> built up units, then why change it for desktop boxes.
    >> Most of the similar assemble and badge operations have gone now.
    >> Blame Dell.

    > The PC Company's arrival in the smaller centres saw local shops dissappear
    > (just like the Warehouse). Now an even bigger player is doing it to them. Do
    > they deserve any sympathy?
    >
    > The industry seems determinded to cut its own throat with ever slimmer
    > margins on a ever cheaper product. Personally in think its in NZ's favour to
    > buy local built pc's, they may cost a little more but they're giving kiwis
    > jobs, and maintaining the skills of the local pc service businesses. Where
    > has the old "Buy Kiwi Made" slogan gone?
    >
    > Joe.

    Its just the same as claiming that New Zealand had a car industry when
    they were just assembling kits.
    There is a place for built to order PCs, but its not in the middle of the
    market.

    Olson Johnson, Sep 8, 2003
  9. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Joe Citizen" wrote
    > Where
    > has the old "Buy Kiwi Made" slogan gone?

    It's been replaced by "buy as cheap as possible, and where you can't find it
    cheap, go to a big corporate and pay 3 times more than it's worth rather
    than shopping around"

    no-where near as catchy, but people do it.

    T.N.O., Sep 8, 2003
  10. On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 07:05:14 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Joe Citizen" wrote
    >> Where
    >> has the old "Buy Kiwi Made" slogan gone?

    > It's been replaced by "buy as cheap as possible, and where you can't find it
    > cheap, go to a big corporate and pay 3 times more than it's worth rather
    > than shopping around"
    >
    > no-where near as catchy, but people do it.

    People look at the PC Company and they look at
    Harvey Normans Noel Leemings Bond and Bond Computer City etc with 12 mths
    interest free credit blah blah all probably
    in the same mall where they buy a desk to put it on and they look at the Dell
    flier that they got.

    And they choose, they don't pay 3 times the price.
    They don't care if a screwdriver shop in Hamilton put it together, or the
    same operation but 100 times larger with 10% of the wage bill in Asia

    And they look a a desktop at $1800 or a laptop at $2200, the gap is
    closing fast.

    Whats "Kiwi Made" in a PC Company PC
    The cardboard box ?

    Olson Johnson, Sep 8, 2003
  11. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Olson Johnson" wrote
    > Whats "Kiwi Made" in a PC Company PC
    > The cardboard box ?

    ok then... Kiwi Assembled...

    T.N.O., Sep 8, 2003
  12. Rider

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <gUZ6b.141095$>,
    says...
    > > Probably
    > > I recollect seeing that laptop sales overtook desktop sales in the US for
    > > the first time this year.
    > > If that is true in NZ as well it means that the demand for whitebox PCs
    > > made from half a dozen component parts, or a barebones kit with a local

    > brand badge slapped on
    > > is dropping, and if the retail supply chain for laptops is fully
    > > built up units, then why change it for desktop boxes.
    > > Most of the similar assemble and badge operations have gone now.
    > > Blame Dell.

    > The PC Company's arrival in the smaller centres saw local shops dissappear
    > (just like the Warehouse). Now an even bigger player is doing it to them. Do
    > they deserve any sympathy?
    >
    > The industry seems determinded to cut its own throat with ever slimmer
    > margins on a ever cheaper product. Personally in think its in NZ's favour to
    > buy local built pc's, they may cost a little more but they're giving kiwis
    > jobs, and maintaining the skills of the local pc service businesses. Where
    > has the old "Buy Kiwi Made" slogan gone?

    It's driven by consumer demand for cheaper products in a materialist
    society and is no different from what has happened in any other industry
    in NZ.

    Mainlander, Sep 9, 2003
  13. In article <>, max <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:09:20 +1200, "~misfit~"
    ><misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:
    >>"Rob" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Rider" <> wrote in message

    >>http://computerworld.co.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/BC54E6AE2D6671B1CC256D9B0006994A

    >>> Now we'll see if the CMANZ lives up to their charter.
    >>> All I can say is, good luck to warraanty holders.
    >>> I am so glad I build my own.

    >>Same here. If I was asked where was a good place to get a PC at a
    >>competitive price I always used to point people to The PC Company. Recently
    >>though I've built computers for friends myself, thank God.

    >I have recommended Dell, and I know many people who have purchased
    >from Dell who would have previously gone with PC company.

    No good if you want an AMD processor. I rang em .. they don't sell systems
    with AMD ... no sale here. Any idea why they limit themselves ?

    Bruce

    Oook !
    NOTE remove the not_ from the address to reply. NO SPAM !

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 9, 2003
  14. Rider

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <gUZ6b.141095$>,
    > says...
    > > > Probably
    > > > I recollect seeing that laptop sales overtook desktop sales in the US

    for
    > > > the first time this year.
    > > > If that is true in NZ as well it means that the demand for whitebox

    PCs
    > > > made from half a dozen component parts, or a barebones kit with a

    local
    > > brand badge slapped on
    > > > is dropping, and if the retail supply chain for laptops is fully
    > > > built up units, then why change it for desktop boxes.
    > > > Most of the similar assemble and badge operations have gone now.
    > > > Blame Dell.

    > > The PC Company's arrival in the smaller centres saw local shops

    dissappear
    > > (just like the Warehouse). Now an even bigger player is doing it to

    them. Do
    > > they deserve any sympathy?
    > >
    > > The industry seems determinded to cut its own throat with ever slimmer
    > > margins on a ever cheaper product. Personally in think its in NZ's

    favour to
    > > buy local built pc's, they may cost a little more but they're giving

    kiwis
    > > jobs, and maintaining the skills of the local pc service businesses.

    Where
    > > has the old "Buy Kiwi Made" slogan gone?

    > It's driven by consumer demand for cheaper products in a materialist
    > society and is no different from what has happened in any other industry
    > in NZ.

    There's still a large market out there waiting to get their first computer -
    not every home has one yet.
    You can also bet that when not advertising in the newspapers that a lot of
    people wouldn't even know of the PC Company.
    In fact even more people are even less likely to know that a large ISP
    called IHUG even exists. It's only the odd mention by Dick Smiths
    advertising that people new to computers would even briefly hear about IHUG.
    IHUG exists in a well established market, not very well as far as people
    completely new to the market are concerned. That's where the PC Company
    quickly headed for after cutting their very public advertising down to
    bugger all. The website is completely useless for all those without a
    computer.

    Interesting comments in Aardvark by Bruce Simpson. Colin Brown is clued up
    and a good guy, but hasn't been round long enough to see the obvious pattern
    that was happening. Also any complaints or suggestions were like water off
    a ducks back. He should've been more selctive about his staff, and paid
    closer attention to his retail stores operations. It shouldn't have taken 2
    MONTHS of several visits to get the RAM problem which my PC had from the
    very day it was assembled with the faulty stick of RAM in it. When mention
    of the problems getting it sorted out directly to Colin it was like water
    off a ducks back. I'd still buy another PC off them, and hopefully with
    better management and attention to staff and staff numbers that had very
    little to do at times, the company will get back onto it's feet again.

    No fancy limited expensive PC magazine advertising, it just doesn't reach
    the new market and bugger all of the established market.
    Good newspaper advertising along with the odd mail drop to get more noticed
    by a Hell of a lot more people is what's needed. Even the supermarkets
    know that to do well they have to keep the public interested that they're
    still out there waiting for them.
    It would also be a bad move to close down the stores in the main centers.
    I'll be buggered if I'd risk the hassles of a mail order PC, especially
    after 2 months of troubles going back and forth to the store several times.
    Imagine the amount of time the PC would be traveling in transit just to get
    the RAM problem sorted out, when only little things like XP being
    reinstalled were done on a brand new PC?
    Bugger that nonsense, apart from good value, good reliable service is just
    as important. And the home builder is just fine, until one of his parts in
    the combination of many has a problem. It's then his problem to try to sort
    out, and hope that he's found the main fault while also trying to prove it
    to the suppliers.

    Every several years there's a rush by some to update their PCs, though with
    the power of them over the last 2 years, the new computer might not be
    needed quite so soon as it was before. Lets face it the 486 series was damn
    near struggling right from new.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 9, 2003
  15. In article <bjj6ve$jjcq2$-berlin.de>, "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
    >> No good if you want an AMD processor. I rang em .. they don't sell systems
    >> with AMD ... no sale here. Any idea why they limit themselves ?

    >Some bumper deal with Intel to get stuff cheaper at a guess.

    Yeah ... I figured some kind of 'exclusive deal'. Hope it works for them :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 9, 2003
  16. Rider

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" wrote

    T.N.O., Sep 9, 2003
  17. On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:11:12 +1200, steve wrote:

    > Anyone remember PC General? Ever pull one apart?

    My hands were cut and bleeding from just lifting the box up to put it on
    the workbench, let alone the internals.

    PC General was one of the brands I used to fish out my old technician
    leather-backed hand protectors for. They weren't the only one though.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 9, 2003
  18. Rider

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bjj41a$asu$>,
    says...

    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > In article <gUZ6b.141095$>,
    > > says...

    > for

    > PCs

    > local
    > > > brand badge slapped on
    > > >
    > > > The PC Company's arrival in the smaller centres saw local shops

    > dissappear
    > > > (just like the Warehouse). Now an even bigger player is doing it to

    > them. Do
    > > > they deserve any sympathy?
    > > >
    > > > The industry seems determinded to cut its own throat with ever slimmer
    > > > margins on a ever cheaper product. Personally in think its in NZ's

    > favour to
    > > > buy local built pc's, they may cost a little more but they're giving

    > kiwis
    > > > jobs, and maintaining the skills of the local pc service businesses.

    > Where
    > > > has the old "Buy Kiwi Made" slogan gone?

    > > It's driven by consumer demand for cheaper products in a materialist
    > > society and is no different from what has happened in any other industry
    > > in NZ.

    > There's still a large market out there waiting to get their first computer -
    > not every home has one yet.
    > You can also bet that when not advertising in the newspapers that a lot of
    > people wouldn't even know of the PC Company.

    Or anybody including a miseryguts called scrooge in Dunedin

    <ccrap snipped>

    Mainlander, Sep 9, 2003
  19. Rider

    > In article <bjj41a$asu$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > > In article <gUZ6b.141095$>,

    > > > says...

    US
    > > for

    whitebox
    > > PCs

    > > local

    > > dissappear

    > > them. Do

    slimmer

    > > favour to

    > > kiwis

    > > Where
    > > >
    > > > It's driven by consumer demand for cheaper products in a materialist
    > > > society and is no different from what has happened in any other

    industry
    > > > in NZ.

    > > There's still a large market out there waiting to get their first

    computer -
    > > not every home has one yet.
    > > You can also bet that when not advertising in the newspapers that a lot

    of
    > > people wouldn't even know of the PC Company.

    > Or anybody including a miseryguts called scrooge in Dunedin

    I've got no complaints with the way that my PC Company computer has been
    running for the last 9 months, little fool.
    It's not the prices that's hurt the company, simply poor advertising.
    I hope that they end up being round for several more years yet, just for the
    reliable service that they do offer - which is the main reason I bought a
    made to order PC with plenty of options from them, Charlie.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 9, 2003
  20. Rider

    GraB Guest

    They had a low visibility. As someone suggested the occasional mail
    drop would have helped lots. I raised the subject of having a
    noticeable sign that stuck out on the Dunedin premises but they didn't
    go for it. I thought it was so easy to drive past without noticing
    the place existed, being that is was away from foot traffic.

    GraB, Sep 9, 2003