    could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
    with my new 1Gb XD card.
    , Aug 19, 2005

  2. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
    > recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
    > olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
    > card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
    > upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
    > purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
    > packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
    > soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
    > cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
    > effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
    > I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
    > After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
    > $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
    > customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
    > He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
    > back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
    > matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
    > had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
    > could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
    > with my new 1Gb XD card.

    why will they not just do the firmware upgrade? That's all you asked
    them to do and that's what they should accept if you choose not to
    have this other thing done.
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Aug 19, 2005

  3. wavelength Guest

    The site says:

    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/popup_xd.asp

    **Customers who have purchased an Olympus, SanDisk or Lexar M1GB,
    M512MB, or 512MB xD-Picture Card will not be charged for this firmware
    upgrade service. For customers who want to have their firmware upgraded
    but have not purchased an Olympus, SanDisk or Lexar M1GB, M512MB, or
    512MB xD-Picture Card, the firmware upgrade is available for $39.95
    plus shipping and handling. Please follow the instructions above and
    include a check for $39.95 plus tax, shipping and handling made out to
    Olympus America Inc."

    I'd mention this to customer service, and imply that you have a lawyer
    friend.

    Really disappointing to see that Oly's bottom line is more important
    than their customer. They should have provided for the firmware to be
    upgraded by users.
    wavelength, Aug 20, 2005
  4. MoParMaN Guest

    "JohnR66" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    >>I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
    >> recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
    >> olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
    >> card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
    >> upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
    >> purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
    >> packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
    >> soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
    >> cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
    >> effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
    >> I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
    >> After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
    >> $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
    >> customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
    >> He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
    >> back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
    >> matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
    >> had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
    >> could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
    >> with my new 1Gb XD card.
    >>

    > I'd have bought several smaller cards. Putting your images on one big card
    > is like putting all your eggs in one basket. If that one card failed, all
    > your images would go with it.
    > John

    Not if you upload them on a regular basis like I do. Usually the same day,
    that's why god created laptops.

    --
    MoParMaN---Remove Clothes To Reply!
    MoParMaN, Aug 20, 2005
  5. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
    > recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card.

    You won't need a 1GB card on a 5MP camera, unless you want to shoot RAW.
    I don't think the C50 has the RAW file format, so if you shoot SHQ JPEGs
    you should be able to fit around 200 images on it, which should be
    enough. With HQ JPEGS that number will likely jump to 400.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Aug 20, 2005
  6. Paul Heslop Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
    > > recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card.

    > You won't need a 1GB card on a 5MP camera, unless you want to shoot RAW.
    > I don't think the C50 has the RAW file format, so if you shoot SHQ JPEGs
    > you should be able to fit around 200 images on it, which should be
    > enough. With HQ JPEGS that number will likely jump to 400.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    It may do TIFF... yes, if I have the right cam here it does TIFF too
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C50/C50A.HTM

    Paul Heslop, Aug 20, 2005
  7. Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Aug 20, 2005
  8. l e o Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>, Paul Heslop says...
    >

    >>It may do TIFF... yes, if I have the right cam here it does TIFF too
    >>http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C50/C50A.HTM

    > No point using TIFF, when SHQ is virtually indistinguishable from TIFF.

    He's entitled to have the firmware update! And what happened to the 1
    year warranty for the lens? Doesn't he have sales receipt to prove?
    l e o, Aug 20, 2005
  9. Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
    > recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
    > olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
    > card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
    > upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
    > purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
    > packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
    > soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
    > cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
    > effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
    > I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
    > After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
    > $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
    > customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
    > He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
    > back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
    > matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
    > had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
    > could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
    > with my new 1Gb XD card.

    A third choice is to forgo the repair and sell the memory card. A forth
    choice, which is what I would do, is to request to talk with a
    supervisor and take this bullshit up the chain of command until Olympus
    does the right thing which is to fix your camera for free or at least do
    the firmware upgrade.
    Shawn Hirn, Aug 20, 2005
  10. ecm Guest

    l e o wrote:
    SNIP
    > He's entitled to have the firmware update! And what happened to the 1
    > year warranty for the lens? Doesn't he have sales receipt to prove?

    I have to agree.... what's going on here? OP says he is within
    warranty, and he owns and sent in the proper UPC/receipt or whatever
    for the 1 GB card, and Olympus is saying "no, it's not a warranty
    repair and you don't qualify for the firmware upgrade". They seem to be
    speaking different languages, don't they?

    Regardless, if we're not missing any info, the answer is to go up the
    management chain until you talk to someone who can get the job done.
    Document the names of anyone you talk to, the date, and take notes on
    what is said. If they eventually say "too bad, so sad" then you could
    try the Better Business Bureau or your local equivalent - I've gotten
    satisfaction from even big companies in the past. One way I've put
    pressure on is to demand the cut-out UPC, etc. back - so that I can
    return the item for a full refund. This tactic works great; they don't
    like the thought that you'll walk in to your retailer (on a busy
    Saturday morning, right beside the cash registers) and loudly demand
    your money back because they didn't honor a rebate. Might work here.

    ECM
    ecm, Aug 20, 2005
  11. Ken Wright Guest

    Your 4th option would be my choice, if for no other reason than by now I
    would be really ticked off!!!

    Regards
    Ken.....................

    snip

    Ken Wright, Aug 20, 2005
  12. Frank ess Guest

    Ken Wright wrote:
    > Your 4th option would be my choice, if for no other reason than by
    > now I would be really ticked off!!!
    >
    > Regards
    > Ken.....................
    >
    > snip
    >>
    >> A third choice is to forgo the repair and sell the memory card. A
    >> fourth choice, which is what I would do, is to request to talk with
    >> supervisor and take this bullshit up the chain of command until
    >> Olympus does the right thing which is to fix your camera for free
    >> or
    >> at least do the firmware upgrade.

    And all that after posting details on all appropriate news groups so
    everyone hears (for the umpteeth time) what a bunch of rotters Olympus
    has turned into. (Don't get me started on microcassette recorder
    repair ... )
    --
    Frank ess
    Frank ess, Aug 20, 2005
  13. Paul Heslop Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Heslop says...
    >
    > > It may do TIFF... yes, if I have the right cam here it does TIFF too
    > > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/C50/C50A.HTM

    > No point using TIFF, when SHQ is virtually indistinguishable from TIFF.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    It most likely is, but many people will use what they take to be the
    highest quality and it is a hell of a difference in file size.
    Paul Heslop, Aug 20, 2005
  14. Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:06:01 -0700, "Frank ess" <>
    wrote:

    >Ken Wright wrote:
    >> Your 4th option would be my choice, if for no other reason than by
    >> now I would be really ticked off!!!
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Ken.....................
    >>
    >> snip
    >>>
    >>> A third choice is to forgo the repair and sell the memory card. A
    >>> fourth choice, which is what I would do, is to request to talk with
    >>> supervisor and take this bullshit up the chain of command until
    >>> Olympus does the right thing which is to fix your camera for free
    >>> or
    >>> at least do the firmware upgrade.

    >And all that after posting details on all appropriate news groups so
    >everyone hears (for the umpteeth time) what a bunch of rotters Olympus
    >has turned into. (Don't get me started on microcassette recorder
    >repair ... )

    The OP is a troll.
    Note, they (Oly) said they would fix it under warranty, then tried to
    charge for a warranty repair. Sure. Happens all the time, doesn't it?
    Then the OP posted from Google. I point this out because this isn't
    the first absurd post from Google that gets a lot of people trying to
    figure out what's going on.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Aug 21, 2005
  15. rwestzz Guest

    I just got back from my backpacking trip across the Grand Canyon. I
    was hoping to have received my camera back before I left, but it never
    showed up. The last I heard they had shipped it on Monday and I should
    have it by the time I left on Thursday. I just got home last night and
    going through my mail was a letter from Olympus telling me that my
    camera would be shipped as soon as the "rare" parts for it came in. As
    a consolation, they would pay to have it shipped back to me. I called
    the cust. support # today and now it turns out that they are not going
    to repair the camera at all. They decided to exchange the camera for a
    working one. WTF? The lens cover sticks a little bit every now and
    then and it turns into this? After some friendly discussions with
    them, the replacement camera they are sending is a c-60. I don't know
    much about that camera. Any input from you guys on that one?

    Looking back I should have just bought a couple 512mb chips, but I
    commonly go out on week long backpacking trips where I come home with
    1000+ pictures. I got tired of bringing my laptop to download the
    images just to take more.

    Anyway, maybe I'll be better off with the c-60.
    rwestzz, Sep 7, 2005
  16. On 7 Sep 2005 08:00:47 -0700, "rwestzz" <> wrote:

    >I just got back from my backpacking trip across the Grand Canyon. I
    >was hoping to have received my camera back before I left, but it never
    >showed up. The last I heard they had shipped it on Monday and I should
    >have it by the time I left on Thursday. I just got home last night and
    >going through my mail was a letter from Olympus telling me that my
    >camera would be shipped as soon as the "rare" parts for it came in. As
    >a consolation, they would pay to have it shipped back to me. I called
    >the cust. support # today and now it turns out that they are not going
    >to repair the camera at all. They decided to exchange the camera for a
    >working one. WTF? The lens cover sticks a little bit every now and
    >then and it turns into this? After some friendly discussions with
    >them, the replacement camera they are sending is a c-60. I don't know
    >much about that camera. Any input from you guys on that one?
    >
    >Looking back I should have just bought a couple 512mb chips, but I
    >commonly go out on week long backpacking trips where I come home with
    >1000+ pictures. I got tired of bringing my laptop to download the
    >images just to take more.
    >
    >Anyway, maybe I'll be better off with the c-60.

    Here are some users views on it.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=oly_c60z

    features.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Olympus/oly_c60z.asp

    What did you have before?

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Sep 7, 2005
  17. rwestzz Guest

    I had the c-50 and they have are replacing it with the c-60. One thing
    I just noticed on the Olympus website is that the c-60 isn't compatible
    with the 1Gb card that started this whole thing!! Arrrgh. What a mess.
    rwestzz, Sep 7, 2005
  18. rwestzz Guest

    I think Bill's got some trust issues he needs to work out.
    rwestzz, Sep 7, 2005
  19. On 7 Sep 2005 08:44:27 -0700, "rwestzz" <> wrote:

    >I had the c-50 and they have are replacing it with the c-60. One thing
    >I just noticed on the Olympus website is that the c-60 isn't compatible
    >with the 1Gb card that started this whole thing!! Arrrgh. What a mess.

    Tell them that and see if they'll sweeten the deal with a memory
    card....

    -James Nachtwey-
    http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
    John A. Stovall, Sep 7, 2005
  20. salgud Guest

    wrote:
    > I purchased my Olympus C-50 Zoom camera less than 12 months ago. I
    > recently decided to purchase a 1Gb XD Picture card. After going to the
    > olympus site, I found that my camera isn't compatible with the 1Gb
    > card, however I could send it in to Olympus for a *free firmware
    > upgrade that would solve my problem. However, I would first have to
    > purchase the card and send in the UPC code from the packaging. I
    > packaged the camera up, along with necessary forms and sent it in. I
    > soon got a call from the repair center, with the news that the lens
    > cover was sticking. I knew this, but it was no big deal, it didn't
    > effect the camera much. The repair tech was helpful and told me that if
    > I wanted, they could fix it under warranty while they had it... great.
    > After 10 days, I got a letter in the mail saying "it would cost me
    > $269.54 for the repair, how did I want to pay?" I quickly called the
    > customer service number and after 40 minutes on hold, talked to a rep.
    > He told me that my only options were to pay the fee or have it shipped
    > back to me as is, with no firmware upgrade. I'm out some money now no
    > matter what I do. If I have it shipped back as is, I'm out the $100 I
    > had to pay for the memory card before the whole thing started. Or I
    > could spend the $260 on a new camera... of course one that's compatible
    > with my new 1Gb XD card.

    With a situation like this, there's only one approach. Escalate! Call
    back, ask to get the firmware installed at no charge as promised. If
    they don't agree, ask to speak to their supervisor. If he won't give
    you satisfaction, ask to speak to their supervisor. Beginning to see a
    pattern here? Remember, in most organizations, the people at the bottom
    are only authorized to say "no". You need to move up until you find the
    level where they can, and will, say yes to a reasonable request, which
    yours surely is.
    salgud, Sep 7, 2005