Olympus Stylus 600, any good?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Beef, Jan 15, 2006.

  1. Beef

    Beef Guest

    Hi, all

    I'm in the market for a small digital still camera.

    One of my criteria is that the camera should be able to take two or three
    pictures in rapid succession. You see, I often try to take a picture of my
    kids with their cousins, or with a few other family members, and there is
    always at least one kid who sticks his arm across another's face, or who
    wticks his tongue out, or worse...

    So I try to get a few pictures so that if the worst happens, I can use
    Gimp to make aup a nicer family scene.

    According to a document I was reading today, the Olympus µ600 has a
    between-shot delay of 0.6 seconds. This sounds good, and the rest of the
    write-up sounds OK, too.

    Is this the same as what I've seen in the US badged as an Olympus Styles
    600? The spec looks the same.

    Beef.

    Has anybody had one of these to try out? Any recommendations?

    Beef, Jan 15, 2006

  2. Beef

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:18:10 GMT, Beef <beef@no_SPAM_here.zz> wrote:

    >Hi, all
    >
    >I'm in the market for a small digital still camera.
    >
    >One of my criteria is that the camera should be able to take two or three
    >pictures in rapid succession. You see, I often try to take a picture of my
    >kids with their cousins, or with a few other family members, and there is
    >always at least one kid who sticks his arm across another's face, or who
    >wticks his tongue out, or worse...
    >
    >So I try to get a few pictures so that if the worst happens, I can use
    >Gimp to make aup a nicer family scene.
    >
    >According to a document I was reading today, the Olympus µ600 has a
    >between-shot delay of 0.6 seconds. This sounds good, and the rest of the
    >write-up sounds OK, too.
    >
    >Is this the same as what I've seen in the US badged as an Olympus Styles
    >600? The spec looks the same.

    Many of the Sony cameras have "burst" mode where several pictures are
    taken. Just Googling "Sony burst mode", I come up with:

    "The Sony DSC-P200 also offers a Multi Burst mode, which captures an
    extremely rapid 16-frame burst of images, at a selectable rate of 7.5,
    15, or 30 frames per second. Multi Burst shots are played back as a
    slow-motion animation on the camera, but appear as a single large file
    with 16 sub-images in it when viewed on a computer. (This would be a
    fun way to catch someone crossing a finish line during a race, or to
    analyze golf and tennis swings.)"

    I don't know anything about the camera other than this, though.

    --

    Tony Cooper
    Orlando, FL

    Tony Cooper, Jan 15, 2006

  3. Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 02:18:10 GMT, Beef <beef@no_SPAM_here.zz> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, all
    >>
    >> I'm in the market for a small digital still camera.
    >>
    >> One of my criteria is that the camera should be able to take two or
    >> three pictures in rapid succession. You see, I often try to take a
    >> picture of my kids with their cousins, or with a few other family
    >> members, and there is always at least one kid who sticks his arm
    >> across another's face, or who wticks his tongue out, or worse...
    >>
    >> So I try to get a few pictures so that if the worst happens, I can
    >> use Gimp to make aup a nicer family scene.
    >>
    >> According to a document I was reading today, the Olympus µ600 has a
    >> between-shot delay of 0.6 seconds. This sounds good, and the rest of
    >> the write-up sounds OK, too.
    >>
    >> Is this the same as what I've seen in the US badged as an Olympus
    >> Styles 600? The spec looks the same.
    >>

    > Many of the Sony cameras have "burst" mode where several pictures are
    > taken. Just Googling "Sony burst mode", I come up with:
    >
    > "The Sony DSC-P200 also offers a Multi Burst mode, which captures an
    > extremely rapid 16-frame burst of images, at a selectable rate of 7.5,
    > 15, or 30 frames per second. Multi Burst shots are played back as a
    > slow-motion animation on the camera, but appear as a single large file
    > with 16 sub-images in it when viewed on a computer. (This would be a
    > fun way to catch someone crossing a finish line during a race, or to
    > analyze golf and tennis swings.)"
    >
    > I don't know anything about the camera other than this, though.

    This is common to may digital cameras. Panasonic and Nikon also have this
    burst mode.

    Dennis Pogson, Jan 15, 2006
  4. Beef

    Beef Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 04:10:24 +0000, Tony Cooper wrote:

    ...snip..
    > Many of the Sony cameras have "burst" mode where several pictures are
    > taken. Just Googling "Sony burst mode", I come up with:
    >
    > "The Sony DSC-P200 also offers a Multi Burst mode, which captures an
    > extremely rapid 16-frame burst of images, at a selectable rate of 7.5,
    > 15, or 30 frames per second. Multi Burst shots are played back as a
    > slow-motion animation on the camera, but appear as a single large file
    > with 16 sub-images in it when viewed on a computer. (This would be a
    > fun way to catch someone crossing a finish line during a race, or to
    > analyze golf and tennis swings.)"
    >
    > I don't know anything about the camera other than this, though.

    Thanks. I suspect that this uses a reduced resolution, depending on the
    number of frames per second.

    What I'm looking for is a camera that will allow two or three shots, with
    a delay of only 0.5 to 0.75 seconds between shots, at full resolution.

    Beef.

    Beef, Jan 16, 2006