    Sharpening reduced on my S6500fd to match Oly softer images.

    Have fun!
    Andi

    Andi Buchner, Mar 7, 2007

  2. Andi Buchner

    Guest

    On Mar 7, 5:27 am, Andi Buchner <> wrote:
    > I posted numerous samples I took yesterday in Passau to my pBase:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/s6500sp550
    >
    > All images are in full resolution and were taken at speed settings from
    > ISO 50-5000 (Oly) and ISO 100-3200 (Fuji). Stabilizer was active (Oly).
    > Sharpening reduced on my S6500fd to match Oly softer images.
    >
    > Have fun!
    > Andi

    That's a lot of work Andi. I'm trying to choose an ultrazoom carmera
    at this time and this has been helpful. Thank you for the effort.
    I am curious however on why you chose the s6500 rather than the
    s9100 ?

    Some comments:
    1. The Olympus images seem much warmer in colour temperature; did you
    have it set to cloudy WB with the Fuji set to sunlight WB?

    2. In the church interior, the Olympus has quite an advantage in low
    light up to ISO 200, due to its IS. There is noticeable camera shake
    in the Fuji images. At ISO 400 and above, the lower noise level with
    the Fuji is truly amazing. There is much more detail in the Fuji
    images. I'm assuming you hand held both cameras for this test?
    Perhaps using a tripod, with IS off for the Olympus, would provide a
    better indication of the relative image quality.

    3. In the wideangle shots along the river, the Olympus seems to have
    slightly more detail with less highlight clipping.

    What did you think of the overall handling and ergonomics of the two
    cameras? If you still have both cameras, a comparison of images
    produced with RAW would be very interesting.

    regards
    Sangio

    , Mar 7, 2007

  3. Andi Buchner

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:27:33 +0100, Andi Buchner wrote:

    > All images are in full resolution and were taken at speed settings from
    > ISO 50-5000 (Oly) and ISO 100-3200 (Fuji). Stabilizer was active (Oly).
    > Sharpening reduced on my S6500fd to match Oly softer images.

    I downloaded two images, the first two from the last page (page 5,
    I believe). It was, unfortunately, a complete waste of time. The
    S6500fd ISO 1600 shot wasn't bad, but there was no way I could
    compare it with the ISO 100 version, which had such incredibly bad
    motion blur that it never should have been posted. Your many other
    shots may not have had this problem, but at dialup downloading
    speeds I'm not about to risk wasting any more time.

    ASAAR, Mar 8, 2007
  4. Andi Buchner

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, ASAAR says...
    > but at dialup downloading
    > speeds I'm not about to risk wasting any more time.

    Ughhh... you are still using a modem?? Get a cable or DSL connection.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Mar 8, 2007
  5. Andi Buchner

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 08:08:05 +0100, Alfred Molon wrote:

    > Ughhh... you are still using a modem?? Get a cable or DSL connection.

    Why? It's perfectly adequate for text based newsgroups and email
    and much less expensive. The yearly savings could easily pay for a
    couple of nice P&Ses per year or a budget DSLR body. It also has a
    good side, in that I'm less likely to download and install every
    patch and update that Microsoft puts in front of me. :)

    ASAAR, Mar 8, 2007