    I predict a luminous "Highly Recommended"!

    Thanks in advance,
    Pro.

    pro, Mar 8, 2007

  2. pro

    Guest

    pro wrote:
    > Does anybody know when is DPreview publishing a complete review of this
    > marvelous camera?
    > I predict a luminous "Highly Recommended"!

    Not so sure about your prediction... A Swedish review gives it high
    points for everything - except image quality.

    > Thanks in advance,
    > Pro.

    , Mar 8, 2007

  3. "pro" <> writes:

    > Does anybody know when is DPreview publishing a complete review of this
    > marvelous camera?
    > I predict a luminous "Highly Recommended"!

    The reviewer for p&s/prosumer cameras (Simon) has said he has the camera now,
    and there should be a review in a week or so.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Mar 17, 2007

    --

    Looks like a nice camera. I just wish Oly has the xD cards up their ass.

    =(8)

    Jack Splat =\(8\), Mar 18, 2007
  5. pro

    stuuder Guest

    Megapixel.net has an upcoming review

    stuuder, Mar 18, 2007
  6. pro

    Guest

    , Mar 20, 2007
  7. On 20 Mar 2007 02:40:56 GMT, lid wrote Re Re:
    Olympus SP-550 SuperZoom:

    >pro wrote:
    >> Does anybody know when is DPreview publishing a complete review of this
    >> marvelous camera?
    >> I predict a luminous "Highly Recommended"!

    >Now there is an in-depth-review of this camera:
    >
    >http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/sp550uz-review/index.shtml

    Junk

    1) 4 AA NiMH batteries that need to be kept in a trickle charger
    2) in/out lense makes attachments a pain
    3) too small for SLR "feel", too large for a pocket camera

    Oly blew it again.

    Caesar Romano, Mar 20, 2007
  8. pro

    Guest

    On Mar 20, 9:04 pm, Caesar Romano <> wrote:
    > On 20 Mar 2007 02:40:56 GMT, wrote Re Re:
    > Olympus SP-550 SuperZoom:
    >
    > >pro wrote:
    > >> Does anybody know when is DPreview publishing a complete review of this
    > >> marvelous camera?
    > >> I predict a luminous "Highly Recommended"!

    > >Now there is an in-depth-review of this camera:

    > >http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/sp550uz-review/index.shtml

    > Junk
    >
    > 1) 4 AA NiMH batteries that need to be kept in a trickle charger
    > 2) in/out lense makes attachments a pain
    > 3) too small for SLR "feel", too large for a pocket camera
    >
    > Oly blew it again.

    Agreed, u missed XD rubbish too, which fellow user Fujifilm is slowely
    getting its way out of it...

    Other than the monster lens [which u most likely will hardly ever use
    fully] its a pretty average job

    WAY WAY overpriced too, a few more average reports and the price will
    be slashed big time

    Stick with the usual players....

    Kinga 202

    , Mar 20, 2007
  9. pro

    Guest

    wrote:
    > On Mar 20, 9:04 pm, Caesar Romano <> wrote:

    >> Oly blew it again.

    > Agreed, u missed XD rubbish too, which fellow user Fujifilm is slowely
    > getting its way out of it...

    Olympus is also working itself out of xD, though not in the SP-550.
    The newly announced SLRs E-410 and E-510 accept xD AND Compact Flash
    cards.

    , Mar 20, 2007
  10. pro

    Alan Hoyle Guest

    On 20 Mar 2007 11:46:29 GMT, lid wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Mar 20, 9:04 pm, Caesar Romano <> wrote:

    >>> Oly blew it again.

    >> Agreed, u missed XD rubbish too, which fellow user Fujifilm is slowely
    >> getting its way out of it...

    > Olympus is also working itself out of xD, though not in the SP-550.
    > The newly announced SLRs E-410 and E-510 accept xD AND Compact Flash
    > cards.

    Not quite, somewhat the opposite in fact. The E-1 and E-300 were both
    CF only, but subsequent models (E-500, E-330, and the two you mention)
    all have both CF and xD slots. In contrast, the Panasonic DMC-L1 and
    rebranded Leica Digilux 3 (which share some parts and internal design
    with the 330/300) have SD slots.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

    Alan Hoyle, Mar 20, 2007
  11. pro

    Signal Guest

    Caesar Romano <> wrote:

    >>Now there is an in-depth-review of this camera:
    >>
    >>http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/sp550uz-review/index.shtml

    >Junk
    >
    >1) 4 AA NiMH batteries that need to be kept in a trickle charger
    >2) in/out lense makes attachments a pain
    >3) too small for SLR "feel", too large for a pocket camera
    >
    >Oly blew it again.

    Oh come on, it's a £300 consumer camera. What do you expect, miracles?
    It sounds like a blast.

    --
    S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

    Signal, Mar 20, 2007
  12. pro

    Guest

    On Mar 21, 9:22 am, Signal <> wrote:
    > Caesar Romano <> wrote:
    > >>Now there is an in-depth-review of this camera:

    > >>http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/sp550uz-review/index.shtml

    > >Junk

    > >1) 4 AA NiMH batteries that need to be kept in a trickle charger
    > >2) in/out lense makes attachments a pain
    > >3) too small for SLR "feel", too large for a pocket camera

    > >Oly blew it again.

    > Oh come on, it's a £300 consumer camera. What do you expect, miracles?

    No just some *quality* photos would be nice, perhaps its beyond Oly to
    reach a quality level required in a non SLR?

    Bet ya the near half the price new Finepix 5700 [S700 in USA] blows
    its pants off it in real world picture quality

    Fujifilm are really good with quality lens and hence photo quality
    [THE most important thing really] sell them at a fair price too, as
    does Kodak, amybe its a camera-film thing?

    Oly will stooge a few with the WOW 18x zoom, but doubt the other D/C
    companies are going to lose any sleep...The quiet achevier may well be
    the new Sony's?

    Its WAY overpriced too, it will tumble price wise soon, just watch

    Kinga 202

    , Mar 21, 2007
  13. pro

    Signal Guest

    "" <> wrote:

    >> >Junk

    >> >1) 4 AA NiMH batteries that need to be kept in a trickle charger
    >> >2) in/out lense makes attachments a pain
    >> >3) too small for SLR "feel", too large for a pocket camera

    >> >Oly blew it again.

    >> Oh come on, it's a £300 consumer camera. What do you expect, miracles?

    >No just some *quality* photos would be nice, perhaps its beyond Oly to
    >reach a quality level required in a non SLR?
    >
    >Bet ya the near half the price new Finepix 5700 [S700 in USA] blows
    >its pants off it in real world picture quality
    >
    >Fujifilm are really good with quality lens and hence photo quality

    This is the thing that has pleased me the most with my (recent
    purchase) Fuji S5600.. the lens seems pretty damn good. Not pefect,
    but for the price it's quite sweet. Some complain about the lack of
    saturation, so hey... neutral is bad?

    >[THE most important thing really] sell them at a fair price too, as
    >does Kodak, amybe its a camera-film thing?
    >
    >Oly will stooge a few with the WOW 18x zoom, but doubt the other D/C
    >companies are going to lose any sleep...The quiet achevier may well be
    >the new Sony's?

    That zoom does seem to the main selling point. But of a novelty, but
    could be fun.

    Signal, Mar 21, 2007
  14. pro

    ASAAR Guest

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:44:37 +0000, Signal wrote:

    > This is the thing that has pleased me the most with my (recent
    > purchase) Fuji S5600.. the lens seems pretty damn good. Not pefect,
    > but for the price it's quite sweet. Some complain about the lack of
    > saturation, so hey... neutral is bad?

    If "some" want more saturation than the S5600 provides with its
    neutral default setting (Standard), it can be quickly changed to
    Chrome, which was put there expressly for those than like the
    saturation punched up a bit. It's one of the Color menu items in
    the quick menu activated by the "F" button along with B&W.

    ASAAR, Mar 22, 2007
  15. (pro) wrote:

    > I predict a luminous "Highly Recommended"!

    I've finally been able to take mine out in good conditions, and in good
    light outdoors it's a nice, capable camera. The lens is particularly
    impressive in super macro and maximum zoom configurations. But in low
    light it's as disappointing & slow as anything else in the class, and
    the movie mode is completely ruined -- for me -- by lousy sound quality
    compared to my Canon S1 (you can even hear the camera focusing).

    As a fun, almost pocketable camera, it's growing on me after a very
    disappointing start. I predict a "Recommended".

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Mar 22, 2007
  16. pro

    haywood Guest

    Already a firmware update (V1.1) on Steves Digicams website and also a
    full review at Megapixel.net

    haywood, Mar 26, 2007
  17. x-no-archive:yes

    >pro wrote:
    >> Does anybody know when is DPreview publishing a complete review of this
    >> marvelous camera?
    >> I predict a luminous "Highly Recommended"!

    Hardly. It got an "Above Average", which means it really sucks in DP
    Review speak:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp550uz/

    digitalguru432, Mar 28, 2007
  18. digitalguru432 wrote:
    > x-no-archive:yes
    >
    >> pro wrote:
    >>> Does anybody know when is DPreview publishing a complete review of
    >>> this marvelous camera?
    >>> I predict a luminous "Highly Recommended"!

    > Hardly. It got an "Above Average", which means it really sucks in DP
    > Review speak:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympussp550uz/

    Yes, you're right about the rating. I hope Oly's next attempt is better,
    as having the wider 28mm end of the zoom would certainly increase the
    usefulness of the camera.

    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 28, 2007