    camera.

    thanks

    rq

    rq, Dec 13, 2005

  2. rq wrote:
    > This camera seems to get pretty good reviews except some complain
    > about no image stabilizer. I know this would be an advantage with a
    > camera that has 10x optical but is it important enough to make one
    > decide not to buy this camera.
    >

    > thanks

    rq,

    I've only had image-stabilisation for about six months, but I do much wish
    I had it before! With the non-DSLR cameras (with the exception of the
    Sony R1), you need to operate at ISO 100 to keep the noise down, so
    getting the higher shutter speeds needed for longer lenses can be
    problematic unless it's strong daylight. It's under these conditions -
    the slightly darker times - that image-stabilisation shines. I replaced a
    Nikon 5700 (280mm, f/4.2, no IS) with the Panasonic FZ5 (432mm, f/3.3,
    with IS) - both 5MP cameras - and my success rate on long zoom shots is
    much better. It gives you about three f/stops (about a factor of ten)
    gain.

    In short, I wouldn't want to use a long zoom camera without IS, and nice
    though the Olympus looks, for me the lack of IS would be a deal-breaker.

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 13, 2005