Olympus SP-350 -- can't put it into PC control mode

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mailbox@cpacker.org, Jul 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have been unable to put my Olympus
    SP-350 into computer control mode as
    instructed at the Web site of Pine Tree
    Computing, whose free software I
    downloaded for a time lapse project.

    Could somebody with an SP-350 try it for
    me and see if I've missed something?
    The instructions are at
    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_control_mode.asp
    When I complained to Michael Cochran of
    Pine Tree on his forum, he replied with more
    explicit instructions:
    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_comments.asp?nID=1760

    This is what you're supposed to do:
    1. With camera unconnected to anything, turn it on.
    2. Open card slot door.
    3. Hold down DISP/GUIDE and OK/MENU for three seconds.
    4. A menu is supposed to appear that lets you select
    PC control mode.

    Mr. Cochran qualifies step 3 to note that the order
    in which the buttons are pressed may make a difference.
    I tried all combinations. In every case, my screen
    continued to show the "Card door open" alert message.

    I updated the firmware to the latest
    available at the Olympus site, version 1.3,
    and this didn't help. I posted a query
    to the Olympus help desk last Friday,
    but they haven't replied.

    --
    Charles Packer
    mailboxATcpacker.org

    , Jul 25, 2006

  2. Ken Weitzel Guest

    wrote:
    > I have been unable to put my Olympus
    > SP-350 into computer control mode as
    > instructed at the Web site of Pine Tree
    > Computing, whose free software I
    > downloaded for a time lapse project.
    >
    > Could somebody with an SP-350 try it for
    > me and see if I've missed something?
    > The instructions are at
    > http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_control_mode.asp
    > When I complained to Michael Cochran of
    > Pine Tree on his forum, he replied with more
    > explicit instructions:
    > http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl_comments.asp?nID=1760
    >
    > This is what you're supposed to do:
    > 1. With camera unconnected to anything, turn it on.
    > 2. Open card slot door.
    > 3. Hold down DISP/GUIDE and OK/MENU for three seconds.
    > 4. A menu is supposed to appear that lets you select
    > PC control mode.
    >
    > Mr. Cochran qualifies step 3 to note that the order
    > in which the buttons are pressed may make a difference.
    > I tried all combinations. In every case, my screen
    > continued to show the "Card door open" alert message.
    >
    > I updated the firmware to the latest
    > available at the Olympus site, version 1.3,
    > and this didn't help. I posted a query
    > to the Olympus help desk last Friday,
    > but they haven't replied.

    Hi Charles...

    For what it's worth, I gave it a try, without success.
    The durned camera just sits with the picture/message
    that the card door is open.

    If you don't get anywhere, you might want to take a
    look at cam2com (sabsik.com/cam2com). I have an older
    copy that doesn't support the sp series, but worked well
    with my C-7?? cameras. Perhaps his newer versions now
    support the sp stuff.

    Finally, if your project doesn't need too good quality,
    and you happen to have an old Oly from the serial days
    lying around, you might want to take a look at came09
    (freeware). It works wonderfully.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 25, 2006

  3. Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > If you don't get anywhere, you might want to take a
    > look at cam2com (sabsik.com/cam2com). I have an older

    Thanks for mentioning cam2com. I knew about it, but it occured to me
    only just now to see if there are instructions there for putting the
    SP-350
    into PC control mode. There are. Says press the QUICK VIEW button
    with the OK/MENU. Hold for three seconds and it works! Then ->USB
    ->CONTROL.
    So it was the QUICK VIEW button to use, not DISP/GUIDE. I'm going to
    have to twit Michael Cochran about that on his Pine Tree forum.

    --
    Charles Packer
    mailboxATcpacker.org

    , Jul 26, 2006
  4. Ken Weitzel Guest

    wrote:
    > Ken Weitzel wrote:
    >> If you don't get anywhere, you might want to take a
    >> look at cam2com (sabsik.com/cam2com). I have an older

    > Thanks for mentioning cam2com. I knew about it, but it occured to me
    > only just now to see if there are instructions there for putting the
    > SP-350
    > into PC control mode. There are. Says press the QUICK VIEW button
    > with the OK/MENU. Hold for three seconds and it works! Then ->USB
    > ->CONTROL.
    > So it was the QUICK VIEW button to use, not DISP/GUIDE. I'm going to
    > have to twit Michael Cochran about that on his Pine Tree forum.

    Hi...

    Great! And fwiw it puts mine into control mode too :)

    That's the good news; the bad is that despite all that
    it doesn't work - at least for me.

    Downloaded the pinetree software, installed it, and hooked it
    up. It didn't offer me the 350, so I chose the sp-500
    (seemed likely closest)

    From that point on it keeps on insisting that there's no
    camera there. But it must be talking to it at least a
    bit, because it somehow erased the date.

    Dunno. How are you making out?

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jul 26, 2006
  5. Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > That's the good news; the bad is that despite all that
    > it doesn't work - at least for me.
    >
    > Downloaded the pinetree software, installed it, and hooked it
    > up. It didn't offer me the 350, so I chose the sp-500
    > (seemed likely closest)
    >
    > From that point on it keeps on insisting that there's no
    > camera there. But it must be talking to it at least a
    > bit, because it somehow erased the date.
    >
    > Dunno. How are you making out?

    Yes, I've had similar problems. The SP500 selection, though, is
    supposed to be the right one. Michael's forum has postings from
    several people who've had SP-350 problems, with seemingly
    patient, but somewhat inconsistent, followups from him. Thanks for
    going to the trouble of checking out Pine Tree -- it's a very useful
    data point for my further communications with Michael.

    , Jul 27, 2006