    5060s and then see this stuff:
    http://dpreview.com/
    it makes me sick.

    Rich, Aug 23, 2007

  2. Rich

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    > 5060s and then see this stuff:
    > http://dpreview.com/
    > it makes me sick.

    We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
    you have us do.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 23, 2007

  3. Rich

    Kalinka Guest

    On 23 Aug, 17:21, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    > > 5060s and then see this stuff:
    > >http://dpreview.com/
    > > it makes me sick.

    > We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
    > you have us do.
    > Dave Cohen

    luckily I have the 550, so why would I bother with the 560 ?

    Kalinka, Aug 23, 2007
  4. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Aug 23, 11:21 am, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    > > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    > > 5060s and then see this stuff:
    > >http://dpreview.com/
    > > it makes me sick.

    > We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
    > you have us do.
    > Dave Cohen

    Demand a 20 megapixel, 1/2.5" sensored P&S? :)

    Rich, Aug 23, 2007
  5. Rich

    Charles Guest

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:27:51 -0700, Rich <> wrote:

    >How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    >5060s and then see this stuff:
    >http://dpreview.com/
    >it makes me sick.

    Let me contribute to your sickness, I bought one. Not the models
    listed here, an earlier one. It works fine for making visual notes of
    things that I want notes for. When I get the creative urge I can drag
    out one of the better cameras, but to have something in the glove box
    of the car, these suit my purpose quite nicely.

    Charles, Aug 23, 2007
  6. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Aug 23, 12:30 pm, Charles <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:27:51 -0700, Rich <> wrote:
    > >How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    > >5060s and then see this stuff:
    > >http://dpreview.com/
    > >it makes me sick.

    > Let me contribute to your sickness, I bought one. Not the models
    > listed here, an earlier one. It works fine for making visual notes of
    > things that I want notes for. When I get the creative urge I can drag
    > out one of the better cameras, but to have something in the glove box
    > of the car, these suit my purpose quite nicely.

    Honestly, it used to matter if you bought an Olympus P&S instead of
    say a Samsung because you could be assured of getting something unique
    and of high quality. You KNEW you owned an Olympus. Today, it
    doesn't matter.
    Kodak, Samsung, Canon, Panasonic, Ricoh, Pentax, Nikon, Olympus.
    P&Ss are cookie-cutter clutter on big-box store shelves.

    Rich, Aug 23, 2007
  7. Rich

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    > 5060s and then see this stuff:
    > http://dpreview.com/
    > it makes me sick.

    Was Olympus ever mighty? I never owned one, but whenever I got
    images from a friend with an Olympus digicam, it seemed to require
    far more color/gamma correction than images from any other brand.

    Bill Tuthill, Aug 23, 2007
  8. Rich

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:30:56 GMT, Charles wrote:

    >> How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    >> 5060s and then see this stuff:
    >> http://dpreview.com/
    >> it makes me sick.

    > Let me contribute to your sickness, I bought one. Not the models
    > listed here, an earlier one. It works fine for making visual notes of
    > things that I want notes for.

    I used a P&S that way several days ago to copy some interesting
    writing in an NYC subway car. Not wanting to use the flash, I
    boosted the ISO to 800, realizing that the image quality wouldn't be
    very good, but I only wanted to capture the text. It turned out to
    work better than I expected for making notes.

    > To You
    > STRANGER! if you, passing, meet me, and desire to speak to me,
    > why should you not speak to me?
    > And why should I not speak to you?

    The author's name couldn't be seen inside the train, and I
    supposed it was written by a local writer. Similar writings and
    poems are often on display in the cars. When I was able to enlarge
    the picture on a computer, the name and some (not all) other
    information, small, very grainy, but legible could be made out :

    ASAAR, Aug 23, 2007
  9. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Aug 23, 1:19 pm, Bill Tuthill <> wrote:
    > Rich <> wrote:
    > > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    > > 5060s and then see this stuff:
    > >http://dpreview.com/
    > > it makes me sick.

    > Was Olympus ever mighty? I never owned one, but whenever I got
    > images from a friend with an Olympus digicam, it seemed to require
    > far more color/gamma correction than images from any other brand.

    I would say in the early 2000s they and Nikon dominated the quality
    P&S category.

    Rich, Aug 23, 2007
  10. Rich

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On Aug 23, 11:21 am, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    >> Rich wrote:
    >>> How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    >>> 5060s and then see this stuff:
    >>> http://dpreview.com/
    >>> it makes me sick.

    >> We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
    >> you have us do.
    >> Dave Cohen

    > Demand a 20 megapixel, 1/2.5" sensored P&S? :)

    And who would listen? They've figured out if they up the mp they can
    sell more.
    While I certainly don't need 12mp, if I had to get another camera today
    (like mine went kaput), I would be very attracted to the canon A650 IS.
    I suppose there's no harm in having those extra pixels until you start
    to notice noise with increasing iso setting, maybe that assumption isn't
    correct though, I don't really know.
    Yes, the bodies are getting more flimsy but are serviceable as long as
    you don't subject them to rough handling. I can live with that, a
    professional probably couldn't.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Aug 23, 2007
  11. Rich

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave Cohen wrote:
    > Rich wrote:
    >>> We've got it Rich, you don't like current p&s offerings. Now what would
    >>> you have us do.
    >>> Dave Cohen

    >> Demand a 20 megapixel, 1/2.5" sensored P&S? :)
    >>

    > And who would listen? They've figured out if they up the mp they can
    > sell more.
    > While I certainly don't need 12mp, if I had to get another camera today
    > (like mine went kaput), I would be very attracted to the canon A650 IS.
    > I suppose there's no harm in having those extra pixels until you start
    > to notice noise with increasing iso setting, maybe that assumption isn't
    > correct though, I don't really know.
    > Yes, the bodies are getting more flimsy but are serviceable as long as
    > you don't subject them to rough handling. I can live with that, a
    > professional probably couldn't.
    > Dave Cohen

    If you increase the ISO setting on ANY digital camera, you will begin to
    see noise. Even the most expensive DSLR cameras exhibit noise at the
    highest settings at the highest MP ratings. It's just a 'feature' of
    the way the sensor works, just like 'grain' in film photography. The
    higher the pixel count, the higher the noise, and the smaller the
    sensor, the sooner you will see the noise become a problem.
    That said, most new cameras are able to go higher in ISO settings with a
    given sensor/pixel size than earlier cameras because of advancements in
    chip fabrication, and noise reduction (or masking) firmware.
    One needs to make his choices of a camera carefully to get the best
    'mix' of inevitable compromises for his particular needs.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 24, 2007
  12. Rich

    SMS Guest

    Rich wrote:

    > Kodak, Samsung, Canon, Panasonic, Ricoh, Pentax, Nikon, Olympus.
    > P&Ss are cookie-cutter clutter on big-box store shelves.

    There are still some standouts in point and shoot cameras, though
    probably the big box stores won't carry many (if any) of them.

    1. Ricoh Caplio GX100
    2. Canon SD800 IS
    3. Canon S5 IS
    4. Canon A630

    SMS, Aug 24, 2007
  13. Rich

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    SMS <> wrote:

    >> Kodak, Samsung, Canon, Panasonic, Ricoh, Pentax, Nikon, Olympus.
    >> P&Ss are cookie-cutter clutter on big-box store shelves.

    > There are still some standouts in point and shoot cameras, though
    > probably the big box stores won't carry many (if any) of them.
    >
    > 1. Ricoh Caplio GX100

    How does one buy a Ricoh camera in the USA?

    > 2. Canon SD800 IS
    > 4. Canon A630

    Why the SD800 and not the SD850?
    Why the A630 and not the A640?
    On Dpreview your #2 and #4 are both rated lower than their replacements.

    Thanks, actually! I might get an A640 because I can't wait for Fuji
    to introduce an optical viewfinder with AA batteries and SD card.

    Bill Tuthill, Aug 24, 2007
  14. Rich

    SMS Guest

    Bill Tuthill wrote:
    > SMS <> wrote:
    >>> Kodak, Samsung, Canon, Panasonic, Ricoh, Pentax, Nikon, Olympus.
    >>> P&Ss are cookie-cutter clutter on big-box store shelves.

    >> There are still some standouts in point and shoot cameras, though
    >> probably the big box stores won't carry many (if any) of them.
    >>
    >> 1. Ricoh Caplio GX100

    > How does one buy a Ricoh camera in the USA?

    Adorama.com

    >> 2. Canon SD800 IS
    >> 4. Canon A630

    > Why the SD800 and not the SD850?

    The SD850 lacks the wide angle lens, but it's fine too.

    > Why the A630 and not the A640?

    The A640 is okay, but in general you don't want to push the pixel count
    due to increased noise. It's still a small sensor.

    > On Dpreview your #2 and #4 are both rated lower than their replacements.

    Since when has dpreview been objective?

    If Canon hadn't decontented the G series, it could have remained a good
    choice. When they dropped the tilt/swivel LCD, that was the end of the
    line. It's so incredibly useful that I miss it every time I'm using
    something other than my G2.

    SMS, Aug 24, 2007
  15. In article <>,
    Rich <> wrote:

    > How the mighty hath fallen. When I think of the old C-8080, 7070 and
    > 5060s and then see this stuff:
    > http://dpreview.com/
    > it makes me sick.

    I can't tell their models apart anymore. All their cameras look the
    same and all their photos are a bit blotchy with purple fringing.
    They're not bad but it seems like the only point of the new models is a
    new case.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Aug 25, 2007