Olympus releases slowest, most expensive 70-300mm yet

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Aug 31, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Aug 31, 2010

  2. RichA

    Jimmy Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    > one? The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    > faster. Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    > adapter!!!
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083110oly75300lens.asp

    Could be worse, Canon could have recently launched a rebel and called it a
    prosumer camera in order to get people to buy the over-priced 7D. Oh,
    wait...
    Jimmy, Aug 31, 2010

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    >one? The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    >faster. Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    >adapter!!!
    >
    >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083110oly75300lens.asp

    The "regular 4/3rds lens" costs $300.59 at B&H and is both bigger and
    much heavier than the new lens. It is 11mm longer and its barrel
    diameter is 10mm bigger. It weighs 50% more.

    It also has noisy AF which renders it somewhat less suitable for video
    than the new lens.

    Seems like the new lens is a very good idea. ;-)
    Bruce, Aug 31, 2010
  4. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >>And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    >>one? The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    >>faster. Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    >>adapter!!!
    >>
    >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083110oly75300lens.asp

    > The "regular 4/3rds lens" costs $300.59 at B&H and is both bigger and
    > much heavier than the new lens. It is 11mm longer and its barrel
    > diameter is 10mm bigger. It weighs 50% more.
    >
    > It also has noisy AF which renders it somewhat less suitable for video
    > than the new lens.
    >
    > Seems like the new lens is a very good idea. ;-)

    have either of you used it?

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 1, 2010
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Aug 31, 5:49 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >And it has a plastic body.  Who are they trying to target with this
    > >one?  The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    > >faster.  Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    > >adapter!!!

    > >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083110oly75300lens.asp

    > The "regular 4/3rds lens" costs $300.59 at B&H and is both bigger and
    > much heavier than the new lens.  It is 11mm longer and its barrel
    > diameter is 10mm bigger.  It weighs 50% more.
    >
    > It also has noisy AF which renders it somewhat less suitable for video
    > than the new lens.
    >
    > Seems like the new lens is a very good idea.  ;-)

    300mm long-end for video? A so-called 600mm equivalent. For what
    real purpose?
    RichA, Sep 1, 2010
  6. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >On Aug 31, 5:49 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >> >And it has a plastic body.  Who are they trying to target with this
    >> >one?  The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    >> >faster.  Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    >> >adapter!!!

    >> >http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083110oly75300lens.asp

    >> The "regular 4/3rds lens" costs $300.59 at B&H and is both bigger and
    >> much heavier than the new lens.  It is 11mm longer and its barrel
    >> diameter is 10mm bigger.  It weighs 50% more.
    >>
    >> It also has noisy AF which renders it somewhat less suitable for video
    >> than the new lens.
    >>
    >> Seems like the new lens is a very good idea.  ;-)

    >300mm long-end for video? A so-called 600mm equivalent. For what
    >real purpose?

    Don't worry, Rich.

    If it has no "real purpose" then no-one will buy it. Except possibly
    to have the chance to whine on here that the lens they just bought has
    no "real purpose".

    The sort of thing you might do, just for its misery value. ;-)
    Bruce, Sep 1, 2010
  7. ? "RichA" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    > one? The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    > faster. Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    > adapter!!!

    Plastics have revolutionized many trades, for instance inner plumbing;before
    plastics all pipes were either lead or steel, a pain in the arse and really
    dangerous and got corroded. In electrical installations, before plastics
    cables were insulated with oil impregnated paper, and conduits were either
    steel or soft iron (got corroded in the long run). Now even medium voltage
    cables are insulated with PE, and have a coat of semi-conductor to smooth
    out the lectric field (usually 20 kV).

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris, Sep 1, 2010
  8. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:29:47 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris"
    <> wrote:

    >mechanized infantry reservist

    I know what that is, but it still sounds like you're a robot soldier.

    Cool. :)
    John A., Sep 1, 2010
  9. RichA

    DanP Guest

    On Sep 1, 3:29 pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <> wrote:
    > ? "RichA" <> ?????? ??? ??????news:...> And it has a plastic body.  Who are they trying to target with this
    > > one?  The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    > > faster.  Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    > > adapter!!!

    > Plastics have revolutionized many trades, for instance inner plumbing;before

    Forget it, Rich has a severe plastic allergy.

    DanP
    DanP, Sep 1, 2010
  10. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sep 1, 10:29 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <> wrote:
    > ? "RichA" <> ?????? ??? ??????news:...> And it has a plastic body.  Who are they trying to target with this
    > > one?  The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    > > faster.  Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    > > adapter!!!

    > Plastics have revolutionized many trades, for instance inner plumbing;before
    > plastics all pipes were either lead or steel, a pain in the arse and really
    > dangerous and got corroded. In electrical installations, before plastics
    > cables were insulated with oil impregnated paper, and conduits were either
    > steel or soft iron (got corroded in the long run). Now even medium voltage
    > cables are insulated with PE, and have a coat of semi-conductor to smooth
    > out the lectric field (usually 20 kV).
    >
    > --
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    > major in electrical engineering
    > mechanized infantry reservist
    > hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    In cameras, it is a cost-cutting device, nothing more.
    RichA, Sep 1, 2010
  11. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:57:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Sep 1, 10:29 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <> wrote:
    >> ? "RichA" <> ?????? ??? ??????news:...> And it has a plastic body.  Who are they trying to target with this
    >> > one?  The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    >> > faster.  Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    >> > adapter!!!

    >> Plastics have revolutionized many trades, for instance inner plumbing;before
    >> plastics all pipes were either lead or steel, a pain in the arse and really
    >> dangerous and got corroded. In electrical installations, before plastics
    >> cables were insulated with oil impregnated paper, and conduits were either
    >> steel or soft iron (got corroded in the long run). Now even medium voltage
    >> cables are insulated with PE, and have a coat of semi-conductor to smooth
    >> out the lectric field (usually 20 kV).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    >> major in electrical engineering
    >> mechanized infantry reservist
    >> hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    >In cameras, it is a cost-cutting device, nothing more.

    And weight-saving.
    John A., Sep 1, 2010
  12. RichA

    Russ D Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 17:02:51 -0400, John A. <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:57:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sep 1, 10:29 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <> wrote:
    >>> ? "RichA" <> ?????? ??? ??????news:...> And it has a plastic body.  Who are they trying to target with this
    >>>
    >>> Plastics have revolutionized many trades, for instance inner plumbing;before
    >>> plastics all pipes were either lead or steel, a pain in the arse and really
    >>> dangerous and got corroded. In electrical installations, before plastics
    >>> cables were insulated with oil impregnated paper, and conduits were either
    >>> steel or soft iron (got corroded in the long run). Now even medium voltage
    >>> cables are insulated with PE, and have a coat of semi-conductor to smooth
    >>> out the lectric field (usually 20 kV).
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    >>> major in electrical engineering
    >>> mechanized infantry reservist
    >>> hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    >>In cameras, it is a cost-cutting device, nothing more.

    >And weight-saving.

    And insulation against image-destroying thermal noise in digital cameras.

    And more comfortable to hold in sub-freezing environments.

    And more durable in the event of impact, where metals easily fatigue and
    crack. (ref: Leica M8's metal base-plate that would crack off just by
    putting the camera on a tripod, sending the whole camera and lens into the
    floor.)

    And more easily formed for advanced ergonomic designs.
    Russ D, Sep 1, 2010
  13. "John A." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:57:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sep 1, 10:29 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <> wrote:
    >>> ? "RichA" <> ?????? ???
    >>> ??????news:...>
    >>> And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    >>>
    >>> Plastics have revolutionized many trades, for instance inner
    >>> plumbing;before
    >>> plastics all pipes were either lead or steel, a pain in the arse and
    >>> really
    >>> dangerous and got corroded. In electrical installations, before
    >>> plastics
    >>> cables were insulated with oil impregnated paper, and conduits were
    >>> either
    >>> steel or soft iron (got corroded in the long run). Now even medium
    >>> voltage
    >>> cables are insulated with PE, and have a coat of semi-conductor to
    >>> smooth
    >>> out the lectric field (usually 20 kV).
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    >>> major in electrical engineering
    >>> mechanized infantry reservist
    >>> hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    >>In cameras, it is a cost-cutting device, nothing more.

    > And weight-saving.

    ... and noise dampening
    David J Taylor, Sep 2, 2010
  14. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <> wrote in message

    > Plastics have revolutionized many trades, for instance inner
    > plumbing;before

    <snip>

    Ah! That famous line from the Graduate.
    The movie's line "Plastics." was voted as the #42 movie quote by the
    American Film Institute (out of 100).

    Within a year of the movie's release, plastic manufacturing companies became
    enormously successful. Many people attribute this to Walter Brooke's quote
    about "plastics". Brooke himself once told his nephew that he would have
    invested in plastics, if he had known that the remark would lead to such
    success.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061722/trivia?tr0780372

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 2, 2010
  15. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "John A." <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:57:21 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sep 1, 10:29 am, "Tzortzakakis Dimitris" <> wrote:
    >>> ? "RichA" <> ?????? ???
    >>> ??????news:...>
    >>> And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    >>>
    >>> Plastics have revolutionized many trades, for instance inner
    >>> plumbing;before
    >>> plastics all pipes were either lead or steel, a pain in the arse and
    >>> really
    >>> dangerous and got corroded. In electrical installations, before plastics
    >>> cables were insulated with oil impregnated paper, and conduits were
    >>> either
    >>> steel or soft iron (got corroded in the long run). Now even medium
    >>> voltage
    >>> cables are insulated with PE, and have a coat of semi-conductor to
    >>> smooth
    >>> out the lectric field (usually 20 kV).
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    >>> major in electrical engineering
    >>> mechanized infantry reservist
    >>> hordad AT otenet DOT gr

    >>In cameras, it is a cost-cutting device, nothing more.

    > And weight-saving.

    Don't bother. If it didn't have plastic he would complain about the higher
    cost, of something he doesn't buy.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 2, 2010
  16. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:41:57 +0100, "Jimmy" <> wrote:
    : "RichA" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    : > one? The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    : > faster. Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    : > adapter!!!
    : >
    : > http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083110oly75300lens.asp
    :
    : Could be worse, Canon could have recently launched a rebel and called
    : it a prosumer camera in order to get people to buy the over-priced 7D.
    : Oh, wait...

    Sorry, Jim, that one sailed over my head. How does Canon calling the T2i a
    "prosumer" camera (if that's what they did) make people want to buy the 7D?
    And if the 7D is overpriced, what does that say about the 5D2?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 4, 2010
  17. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:41:57 +0100, "Jimmy" <> wrote:
    >: "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >: news:...
    >: > And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    >: > one? The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    >: > faster. Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    >: > adapter!!!
    >: >
    >: > http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083110oly75300lens.asp
    >:
    >: Could be worse, Canon could have recently launched a rebel and called
    >: it a prosumer camera in order to get people to buy the over-priced 7D.
    >: Oh, wait...
    >
    >Sorry, Jim, that one sailed over my head. How does Canon calling the T2i a
    >"prosumer" camera (if that's what they did) make people want to buy the 7D?
    >And if the 7D is overpriced, what does that say about the 5D2?

    The newly announced 60D muddies the waters even further, as it appears
    to lack some of the 'prosumer' aspirations of its 50D predecessor.
    Bruce, Sep 4, 2010
  18. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : >: "RichA" <> wrote in message
    : >: news:...
    : >: > And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    : >: > one? The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    : >: > faster. Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    : >: > adapter!!!
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >: Could be worse, Canon could have recently launched a rebel and called
    : >: it a prosumer camera in order to get people to buy the over-priced 7D.
    : >: Oh, wait...
    : >
    : >Sorry, Jim, that one sailed over my head. How does Canon calling the T2i a
    : >"prosumer" camera (if that's what they did) make people want to buy the 7D?
    : >And if the 7D is overpriced, what does that say about the 5D2?
    :
    :
    : The newly announced 60D muddies the waters even further, as it appears
    : to lack some of the 'prosumer' aspirations of its 50D predecessor.

    The 60D is an odd duck. It has a flip-out screen, which figures to be popular,
    but it appears that they had to sacrifice several buttons to accommodate it.
    And they brag about its 94% viewfinder, which doesn't strike me as great for a
    serious camera by today's standards. It has an 18 Mp sensor, but so does the
    much less expensive 550D.

    At one time I might have jumped at the flip-out screen (I loved it on my G-5),
    but I've actually never used live mode on my 50D. Unless there's some other
    big feature of which I'm unaware, I can't see many 50D users upgrading to the
    60D unless their old cameras are simply worn out. Nor do I think its existence
    is likely to drive down the price of the 7D. :^|

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 5, 2010
  19. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Sep 2010 20:06:37 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >: >On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:41:57 +0100, "Jimmy" <> wrote:
    >: >: "RichA" <> wrote in message
    >: >: news:...
    >: >: > And it has a plastic body. Who are they trying to target with this
    >: >: > one? The regular 4/3rds lens is about $275, optically excellent and
    >: >: > faster. Even AFTER you add the $150 Panasonic 4/3rds to m4/3rds
    >: >: > adapter!!!
    >: >: >
    >: >: > http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/10083110oly75300lens.asp
    >: >:
    >: >: Could be worse, Canon could have recently launched a rebel and called
    >: >: it a prosumer camera in order to get people to buy the over-priced 7D.
    >: >: Oh, wait...
    >: >
    >: >Sorry, Jim, that one sailed over my head. How does Canon calling the T2i a
    >: >"prosumer" camera (if that's what they did) make people want to buy the 7D?
    >: >And if the 7D is overpriced, what does that say about the 5D2?
    >:
    >:
    >: The newly announced 60D muddies the waters even further, as it appears
    >: to lack some of the 'prosumer' aspirations of its 50D predecessor.
    >
    >The 60D is an odd duck. It has a flip-out screen, which figures to be popular,
    >but it appears that they had to sacrifice several buttons to accommodate it.
    >And they brag about its 94% viewfinder, which doesn't strike me as great for a
    >serious camera by today's standards. It has an 18 Mp sensor, but so does the
    >much less expensive 550D.
    >
    >At one time I might have jumped at the flip-out screen (I loved it on my G-5),
    >but I've actually never used live mode on my 50D. Unless there's some other
    >big feature of which I'm unaware, I can't see many 50D users upgrading to the
    >60D unless their old cameras are simply worn out. Nor do I think its existence
    >is likely to drive down the price of the 7D. :^|

    My thoughts exactly.

    I think it is probably quite an intelligent repositioning of the x0D
    series whose prosumer role has been so ably taken over by the 7D. The
    550D/Rebel T2i is a very good entry-level DSLR, with the 60D now
    occupying the mid-range and the 7D edging its way into the pro league,
    which was previously the job of the 50D.

    I think you're right that 50D owners would see the 60D as a slight
    step down, making the 7D all the more tempting. The 7D is quite a
    camera.

    Meanwhile, I'm enjoying using my manual focus Nikkors on my Canon 5D.
    It's just like old times. ;-)

    ,
    Bruce, Sep 5, 2010