Olympus Point and Shoot out performs DSLRs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Douglas, Nov 15, 2007.

  1. Douglas

    Douglas Guest

    Douglas, Nov 15, 2007

  2. Douglas

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:37:58 +0000 (UTC), Douglas
    <> wrote in
    <fhg7tl$fb7$>:

    >Oh dear... The devotees of DSLRs and worshipers of EOS will be angry now.
    >
    >A 4 year old (broken) P&S with a crappy 12x zoom lens that wobbles around
    >like a sausage and it still takes pictures like this.
    >http://www.douglasjames.com.au/captains-cabin.htm Fits in your pocket too!
    >
    >Oh dear... It handles REDs and Yellows well too.
    >http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-red.htm

    Nice pictures. But no surprise -- better P&S cameras can produce superb
    images. But then pretty much any decent camera can produce superb
    images. What matters is the photographer, not the camera. Perhaps
    that's why inexperienced DSLR owners try to make such a big issue of
    their cameras? ;)

    The wobbling lens isn't a real issue -- the sensor wobbles along as part
    of the lens module.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Nov 15, 2007

  3. On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 04:53:02 GMT, John Navas <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:37:58 +0000 (UTC), Douglas
    ><> wrote in
    ><fhg7tl$fb7$>:
    >
    >>Oh dear... The devotees of DSLRs and worshipers of EOS will be angry now.
    >>
    >>A 4 year old (broken) P&S with a crappy 12x zoom lens that wobbles around
    >>like a sausage and it still takes pictures like this.
    >>http://www.douglasjames.com.au/captains-cabin.htm Fits in your pocket too!
    >>
    >>Oh dear... It handles REDs and Yellows well too.
    >>http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-red.htm

    >Nice pictures. But no surprise -- better P&S cameras can produce superb
    >images. But then pretty much any decent camera can produce superb
    >images. What matters is the photographer, not the camera. Perhaps
    >that's why inexperienced DSLR owners try to make such a big issue of
    >their cameras? ;)

    It's been said before and it's worth saying again....

    It's just simply inexperienced "P'n'S Envy".

    franklin-d-worth, Nov 15, 2007
  4. Douglas wrote:
    []
    > A 4 year old (broken) P&S with a crappy 12x zoom lens that wobbles
    > around like a sausage and it still takes pictures like this.
    > http://www.douglasjames.com.au/captains-cabin.htm Fits in your pocket
    > too!

    []
    > Douglas

    Grossly over-sharpened and over-saturated for my taste....

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 15, 2007
  5. "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    wrote in message news:hpT_i.47878$...
    > Douglas wrote:
    > []
    > > A 4 year old (broken) P&S with a crappy 12x zoom lens that wobbles
    > > around like a sausage and it still takes pictures like this.
    > > http://www.douglasjames.com.au/captains-cabin.htm Fits in your pocket
    > > too!

    > []
    > > Douglas

    > Grossly over-sharpened and over-saturated for my taste....
    >
    > David

    Makes a welcome change from using Photoshop to improve sharpness and
    saturation. He could add blur and desaturate the image.

    If it ain't complex, don't buy it! The DSLR user's motto!

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Nov 15, 2007
  6. Douglas

    Mark B. Guest

    I find it amusing that you feel the need to put down an entire group of
    owners with every post. Why are you so insecure?

    Mark B., Nov 15, 2007
  7. Douglas

    Jake Helms Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:32:48 -0500, "Mark B." <> wrote:

    >I find it amusing that you feel the need to put down an entire group of
    >owners with every post. Why are you so insecure?

    The DSLR fools can dish it out, but they can't take it, eh?

    Jake Helms, Nov 15, 2007
  8. Douglas

    Guest

    , Nov 15, 2007
  9. Harold Hughes - Activity Director, Nov 15, 2007
  10. Douglas

    PCs Rule Guest

    "Harold Hughes - Activity Director" <> wrote in message
    > wrote:
    >>> http://www.douglasjames.com.au/captains-cabin.htm
    >>> http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-red.htm

    >> Broken links, at the moment. (Which is probably a good thing.)
    >>
    >> Using professional web-hosting for these sites, OP? Maybe you should
    >> ask for your money back.

    > If you ever get the first link going make sure you have your sunglasses
    > on. The whites are pretty bright.
    >

    > Second link has a hot blonde and some guy pretending he is in cool
    > runnings.

    I would never admit to taking that pic in the first link. To put it mildly,
    I think it sucks.

    PCs Rule, Nov 15, 2007
  11. Douglas

    Annika1980 Guest

    Annika1980, Nov 15, 2007
  12. On Nov 15, 5:55 am, Jake Helms <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:32:48 -0500, "Mark B." <> wrote:
    > >I find it amusing that you feel the need to put down an entire group of
    > >owners with every post. Why are you so insecure?

    > The DSLR fools can dish it out, but they can't take it, eh?

    Why must this group be so competitive? It used to be the "film
    forever" folks vs the "digital is the only way to go" folks. Now it
    is DSLR vs P & S! Sort of leaves rangefinder folks out in the cold,
    though.

    BTW, we own both a DSLR and a digital P & S.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Nov 15, 2007
  13. Douglas

    -hh Guest

    Annika1980 <> wrote:

    > Also, if memory serves the captains-cabin pic was posted by D-Mac
    > a year or two ago. At that time he claimed it was a stitched pano.

    Despite the troll's claims that it was taken with an Olympus C670...

    ....and despite him trying to wipe the EXIF data on 15 Nov 07...

    ....the idiot didn't cover up all his digital footsteps.

    It was actually taken with his Panasonic.

    -hh

    -hh, Nov 15, 2007
  14. Douglas

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:42:17 -0800 (PST), wrote
    in <>:

    >> http://www.douglasjames.com.au/captains-cabin.htm
    >> http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-red.htm

    >Broken links, at the moment. (Which is probably a good thing.)
    >
    >Using professional web-hosting for these sites, OP? Maybe you should
    >ask for your money back.

    Those links have worked every time I've tried them. Using a reliable
    Internet connection are you? Maybe you should ask for your money back.
    ;)

    John Navas, Nov 15, 2007
  15. Douglas

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:01:17 GMT, franklin-d-worth <>
    wrote in <>:

    >On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 04:53:02 GMT, John Navas <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 01:37:58 +0000 (UTC), Douglas
    >><> wrote in
    >><fhg7tl$fb7$>:
    >>
    >>>Oh dear... The devotees of DSLRs and worshipers of EOS will be angry now.
    >>>
    >>>A 4 year old (broken) P&S with a crappy 12x zoom lens that wobbles around
    >>>like a sausage and it still takes pictures like this.
    >>>http://www.douglasjames.com.au/captains-cabin.htm Fits in your pocket too!
    >>>
    >>>Oh dear... It handles REDs and Yellows well too.
    >>>http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-red.htm

    >>Nice pictures. But no surprise -- better P&S cameras can produce superb
    >>images. But then pretty much any decent camera can produce superb
    >>images. What matters is the photographer, not the camera. Perhaps
    >>that's why inexperienced DSLR owners try to make such a big issue of
    >>their cameras? ;)

    >It's been said before and it's worth saying again....
    >
    >It's just simply inexperienced "P'n'S Envy".

    A wee bit insecure and defensive are we? ;)

    John Navas, Nov 15, 2007
  16. Douglas

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:27:01 -0800 (PST), Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >On Nov 15, 5:55 am, Jake Helms <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 06:32:48 -0500, "Mark B." <> wrote:
    >> >I find it amusing that you feel the need to put down an entire group of
    >> >owners with every post. Why are you so insecure?

    >> The DSLR fools can dish it out, but they can't take it, eh?

    >Why must this group be so competitive? It used to be the "film
    >forever" folks vs the "digital is the only way to go" folks. Now it
    >is DSLR vs P & S! Sort of leaves rangefinder folks out in the cold,
    >though.

    It comes from childish mine-is-better bragging by DSLR advocates who
    feel the need to feed their egos by putting down non-DSLRs and those who
    use them at every opportunity, like wearing a (fake) Rolex to be more
    cool.

    They'll criticize any non-DSLR image, even when actually not; i.e.,
    ringers taken with DSLR and faked as having been taken with non-DSLR (to
    expose their silliness for what it is). ;)

    >BTW, we own both a DSLR and a digital P & S.

    What matters is not what you have, but what you do with it.

    John Navas, Nov 15, 2007
  17. Douglas

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:59:22 GMT, "PCs Rule" <> wrote
    in <_gY_i.20580$>:

    >"Harold Hughes - Activity Director" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Broken links, at the moment. (Which is probably a good thing.)
    >>>
    >>> Using professional web-hosting for these sites, OP? Maybe you should
    >>> ask for your money back.

    >> If you ever get the first link going make sure you have your sunglasses
    >> on. The whites are pretty bright.
    >>
    >> Second link has a hot blonde and some guy pretending he is in cool
    >> runnings.

    >I would never admit to taking that pic in the first link. To put it mildly,
    >I think it sucks.

    Just because you think it was taken with a P&S.
    Thanks for proving my point. ;)

    John Navas, Nov 15, 2007
  18. Douglas

    John Navas Guest

    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 07:04:29 -0800 (PST), -hh
    <> wrote in
    <>:

    >Despite the troll's claims that it was taken with an Olympus C670...
    >...and despite him trying to wipe the EXIF data on 15 Nov 07...
    >...the idiot didn't cover up all his digital footsteps.
    >It was actually taken with his Panasonic.

    That's a serious charge, but hard to take seriously given without
    anything concrete to back it up.

    John Navas, Nov 15, 2007
  19. Douglas

    Steve B Guest

    "Douglas" <> wrote in message

    > Oh dear... The devotees of DSLRs and worshipers of EOS will be angry now.
    >
    > A 4 year old (broken) P&S with a crappy 12x zoom lens that wobbles around
    > like a sausage and it still takes pictures like this.
    > http://www.douglasjames.com.au/captains-cabin.htm Fits in your pocket too!
    >
    > Oh dear... It handles REDs and Yellows well too.
    > http://www.douglasjames.com.au/panasonic-red.htm
    >
    > Douglas
    > --
    > If you don't defend your rights... You end up without any!

    You do realise there's no such animal as an Olympus C670?
    You actually have an image from an Olympus 760UZ and it was x10 zoom, not
    x12.

    I had the similar (same sensor, same lens) but earlier C750UZ and yes it
    could turn out a very nice image, still can in fact, but I see the same
    problems (blue fringing, blown out highlights) in your image that made me
    decide to get a DSLR last year as I wanted (and got) better quality. There
    are better P&S cameras around now though that make the IQ comparison a
    closer thing in good light anyway.

    Steve B, Nov 15, 2007
  20. Douglas

    -hh Guest

    John Navas <> wrote:
    > -hh <> wrote:
    >
    > >Despite the troll's claims that it was taken with an Olympus C670...
    > >...and despite him trying to wipe the EXIF data on 15 Nov 07...
    > >...the idiot didn't cover up all his digital footsteps.
    > >It was actually taken with his Panasonic.

    > That's a serious charge, but hard to take seriously given without
    > anything concrete to back it up.

    I'm sorry, but to reveal the specifics in public would merely inform
    the troll as to how he slipped up, which would then allow him to make
    a better forgery the next time.

    If you have the tools, ability and interest, simply go do the
    forensics yourself.

    -hh

    -hh, Nov 15, 2007