    the decision is a no brainer. :-(

    TIA
    Cheers Peter S.
    Peter Stacey, Mar 28, 2007

  2. Peter Stacey

    Le Patriote Guest

    Go Pentax, Canon or even Nikon.

    Forget the 4/3. They already had problems with noise with the E1 (5mp).
    Sensor is too small to get anything good (noise) from these cameras.

    They also only have 3 AF points , even the D50 has 5 AF points.

    Slow flash sync (1/180) and slow frame rate too (2.5fps).

    Olympus is dead for me.

    Grab a 30D with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 if you can afford it.

    Apparently Canon will have new kits/prices starting april 2. One comes with
    a 28-125 USM IS (not very wide, but very cheap apparently. We will know more
    monday.)
    Le Patriote, Mar 28, 2007

  3. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    Peter Stacey wrote:
    > I have a range of Olympus OM 1 &2 gear, including 24mm, 35-70mm
    > 75-150mm lens bellows etc. Finally considering getting a DSLR, (E-1?)
    > and am tempted to go on a path that will allow me to utilise the old
    > equipment, rather than to scrap it or virtually give it away.
    > Presuming that there is negligible need/value in the old film gear.
    > An adapter is available to use the old lens with the 4/3 camera
    > fitting.
    >
    > Being used to manual focus etc. I thought that I would not feel too
    > disadvantaged by not having everything automated as is the case
    > nowadays. However I did think that getting a good 'standard' lens
    > with the new camera/body would be a good idea.
    >
    > Has anyone done this and how did it work out? I realise that one can
    > become emotionally attached to our gear, when from a practical or
    > financial view the decision is a no brainer. :-(

    Thing to be aware of--the 4/3 sensor is half the size of a 35mm
    frame--your 24mm effectively becomes a 48mm.

    There are adapters on the market that allow OM mount lenses to be used
    on Canon bodies. Again, the inexpensive bodies have small sensors,
    1/1.6 the size of a 35mm, so your 24mm effectively becomes a 38mm. In
    exchange for this you get very good performance at high ISOs.

    The 5D and the 1DS have 35mm sensors, your OM lenses will give the same
    field of view on them as on your OM, but they're not cheap.

    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    J. Clarke, Mar 28, 2007
  4. Peter Stacey

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Mar 28, 2007
  5. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Ask here:
    >
    > We have over 12000 users of Olympus cameras, mostly DSLRs.
    >
    > (and forget the dumb advice given by the Canon users - I always wonder
    > why they need to jump into Olympus threads)

    Because Canon is the right answer to that particular question.

    Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
    Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

    J. Clarke, Mar 29, 2007
  6. Peter Stacey

    JG Guest

    Le Patriote wrote:
    > Go Pentax, Canon or even Nikon.

    Why? The OP has already mentioned Olympus? Not everyone wants to be on
    the Canon bandwagon, many choose Olympus for other reasons rather than
    sheer sledgehammer specification.

    > Forget the 4/3. They already had problems with noise with the E1 (5mp).
    > Sensor is too small to get anything good (noise) from these cameras.

    And the others are perfect? Noise is a very complex issue with many
    tweaks and workarounds. The E1 has proven itself time and again and if
    you were able to broaden your horizons you would know this. Very few
    cameras for me match the quality of E1s colour. For me it is the perfect
    picture taking machine.

    > They also only have 3 AF points , even the D50 has 5 AF points.

    Sometimes less can be more. The photographer decides not the camera.

    > Slow flash sync (1/180) and slow frame rate too (2.5fps).

    This may not be an issue for the OP. And the frame rate is 3.0 FPS

    > Olympus is dead for me.

    Well you seem to need to prove a point.

    > Grab a 30D with a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 if you can afford it.

    Yes sir right away.....

    JG, Mar 29, 2007
  7. Peter Stacey

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
    > Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

    Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
    recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Mar 29, 2007
  8. Peter Stacey

    dj_nme Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    >>Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
    >>Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

    > Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
    > recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.

    The obvious response Mr Molon, is that because Peter Stacy is starting
    from scratch (with digital), he has no investment in FourThirds
    equipment and that by using an OM lens on a Digital EOS body there will
    be a better use of the glass and the "crop factor" can be 1.6x, 1.3 or 1
    (no crop) depending on the body used.
    The only digital bodies offered by Olympus all have a 2x crop factor, so
    you lose even more of the wide-angle than the smallest sensor EOS (1.6x
    crop factor) bodies.
    There is no difference in convenience, as to use an OM lens on a
    FourThirds body requires an adapter which does not couple the aperture
    in any way to the body, which is the exactly same as using it on an EOS
    with an adapter.
    dj_nme, Mar 29, 2007
  9. Peter Stacey

    Yoshi Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >> Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
    >> Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

    > Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
    > recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    Alfred, its a mystery to me too. For some reason, some Canon users feel the
    need to endlessly cheerlead for their cameras. Any mention of a Nikon,
    Olympus, or Pentax is like waving a red flag at a bull. They come charging
    in to inform the poster that he's a fool for using anything but the "Totally
    Digital 20D" or some such rubbish. Seems like they suffer from some sort of
    insecurity. Photographers make photographs, equipment is just a means to
    that end. This endless touting of ones brand loyalty gets tiresome.

    Yoshi
    Yoshi, Mar 29, 2007
  10. Peter Stacey

    John Bean Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:05:35 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >
    >> Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends using
    >> Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

    >Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
    >recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.

    All brands have their blinkered fanboys and I agree that
    Canon seems to have more than their fair share of them - but
    that's only because there are more Canon users out there
    anyway.

    Best to ignore them.

    "Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level
    and then beat you with experience."

    "Never argue with a fool. Someone watching may not be able
    to tell the difference."

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Mar 29, 2007
  11. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    Yoshi wrote:
    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>
    >>> Now why do you feel it necessary to slam anybody who recommends
    >>> using Olympus lenses on Canon bodies?

    >> Why do Canon users feel the need to jump into an Olympus thread and
    >> recommend their brand? The OP is asking about an Olympus DSLR.
    >> --
    >>
    >> Alfred Molon

    > Alfred, its a mystery to me too. For some reason, some Canon users
    > feel the need to endlessly cheerlead for their cameras. Any mention
    > of a Nikon, Olympus, or Pentax is like waving a red flag at a bull.
    > They come charging in to inform the poster that he's a fool for using
    > anything but the "Totally Digital 20D" or some such rubbish. Seems
    > like they suffer from some sort of insecurity. Photographers make
    > photographs, equipment is just a means to that end. This endless
    > touting of ones brand loyalty gets tiresome.

    So what Olympus digital camera lets one use a 24mm Olympus OM lens as a
    wide angle?

    J. Clarke, Mar 29, 2007
  12. Peter Stacey

    Yoshi Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > So what Olympus digital camera lets one use a 24mm Olympus OM lens as a
    > wide angle?

    > --John

    Not the point. There are many photograhers that simply have no interest in
    the Canon fanboy ranting.
    If you enjoy your Canon, use it. Raving about Canon at every opportunity is
    simply annoying and serves no purpose.

    Yoshi
    Yoshi, Mar 29, 2007
  13. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    Yoshi wrote:
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >> So what Olympus digital camera lets one use a 24mm Olympus OM lens
    >> as a wide angle?
    >>
    >> --
    >> --
    >> --John

    > Not the point. There are many photograhers that simply have no
    > interest in the Canon fanboy ranting.
    > If you enjoy your Canon, use it. Raving about Canon at every
    > opportunity is simply annoying and serves no purpose.

    That _is_ the point. The guy has existing OM lenses including a 24mm
    that he wants to continue to use. What Olympus camera should he get
    that lets him continue to use them like he used them with his OM? If
    there is one please identify it. If there isn't one then please explain
    why suggesting an alternative that does allow this is "fanboy ranting"?

    J. Clarke, Mar 29, 2007
  14. Peter Stacey

    Yoshi Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    > Yoshi wrote:
    >> "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >>> So what Olympus digital camera lets one use a 24mm Olympus OM lens
    >>> as a wide angle?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> --
    >>> --John

    >> Not the point. There are many photograhers that simply have no
    >> interest in the Canon fanboy ranting.
    >> If you enjoy your Canon, use it. Raving about Canon at every
    >> opportunity is simply annoying and serves no purpose.

    > That _is_ the point. The guy has existing OM lenses including a 24mm
    > that he wants to continue to use. What Olympus camera should he get
    > that lets him continue to use them like he used them with his OM? If
    > there is one please identify it. If there isn't one then please explain
    > why suggesting an alternative that does allow this is "fanboy ranting"?

    > --John
    > to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Exactly the point. You have 244 archived posts in this newsgroup
    mentioning the word "Canon". I'm really not interested in Canon evangelism.
    Go preach to the converts.

    Yoshi
    Yoshi, Mar 29, 2007
  15. Peter Stacey

    Le Patriote Guest

    "J. Clarke" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Alfred Molon wrote:
    > > Ask here:
    > >
    > > We have over 12000 users of Olympus cameras, mostly DSLRs.

    only 12000 ? lol
    Le Patriote, Mar 29, 2007
  16. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    Yoshi wrote:
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >> Yoshi wrote:
    >>> "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message

    >>> Not the point. There are many photograhers that simply have no
    >>> interest in the Canon fanboy ranting.
    >>> If you enjoy your Canon, use it. Raving about Canon at every
    >>> opportunity is simply annoying and serves no purpose.

    >> That _is_ the point. The guy has existing OM lenses including a 24mm
    >> that he wants to continue to use. What Olympus camera should he get
    >> that lets him continue to use them like he used them with his OM? If
    >> there is one please identify it. If there isn't one then please
    >> explain why suggesting an alternative that does allow this is
    >> "fanboy ranting"?
    >>
    >> --
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> to email, dial "usenet" and validate
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    >>

    > Exactly the point. You have 244 archived posts in this newsgroup
    > mentioning the word "Canon". I'm really not interested in Canon
    > evangelism. Go preach to the converts.

    So you have no recommendation at all for him? You're saying what, that
    he shouldn't get a digital camera at all? That he should toss his OM
    lenses in the trash? What?

    As for having 244 archived posts containing the word Canon, RichA
    probably has vastly more than that containing the word "plastic". From
    that are we to conclude that he is a "plastic fanboy"?

    J. Clarke, Mar 29, 2007
  17. Yoshi wrote:
    > "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > Exactly the point. You have 244 archived posts in this newsgroup
    > mentioning the word "Canon". I'm really not interested in Canon evangelism.
    > Go preach to the converts.

    That's because Mr. Clarke doesn't trim too often. I'd hardly classify
    him as a zealot for any brand anywhere. Oh, I believe he's anti-Mac, but
    not rabidly so.

    And, so, Yoshi, who are you? Have you been posting here under a
    different name, and might you tell us what?

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Mar 30, 2007
  18. Peter Stacey

    dbd Guest

    On Mar 27, 11:06 pm, "Peter Stacey" <> wrote:
    > I have a range of Olympus OM 1 &2 gear, including 24mm, 35-70mm 75-150mm
    > lens bellows etc. Finally considering getting a DSLR, (E-1?) and am tempted
    > to go on a path that will allow me to utilise the old equipment, rather than
    > to scrap it or virtually give it away. Presuming that there is negligible
    > need/value in the old film gear. An adapter is available to use the old lens
    > with the 4/3 camera fitting.
    >
    > Being used to manual focus etc. I thought that I would not feel too
    > disadvantaged by not having everything automated as is the case nowadays.
    > However I did think that getting a good 'standard' lens with the new
    > camera/body would be a good idea.
    >
    > Has anyone done this and how did it work out? I realise that one can become
    > emotionally attached to our gear, when from a practical or financial view
    > the decision is a no brainer. :-(
    >
    > TIA
    > Cheers Peter S.

    To go back to the OP's question,

    Here's a web site that includes discussion and reviews of OM lenses on
    EVOLT bodies:

    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/

    Good luck!

    Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    dbd, Mar 30, 2007
  19. Peter Stacey

    J. Clarke Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:
    > Yoshi wrote:
    >> "J. Clarke" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Exactly the point. You have 244 archived posts in this newsgroup
    >> mentioning the word "Canon". I'm really not interested in Canon
    >> evangelism. Go preach to the converts.

    > That's because Mr. Clarke doesn't trim too often. I'd hardly classify
    > him as a zealot for any brand anywhere. Oh, I believe he's anti-Mac,
    > but not rabidly so.

    I don't have any problem with Macs per se. Its' the bunker mentality of
    many of the users that gives me trouble. That and their stupid
    advertisements.

    J. Clarke, Mar 30, 2007
  20. On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:10:38 -0400, "J. Clarke"
    <> wrote:

    >So you have no recommendation at all for him? You're saying what, that
    >he shouldn't get a digital camera at all? That he should toss his OM
    >lenses in the trash? What?
    >
    >As for having 244 archived posts containing the word Canon, RichA
    >probably has vastly more than that containing the word "plastic". From
    >that are we to conclude that he is a "plastic fanboy"?

    As an owner of both Olympus and Canon digitals, I assure you that you
    are, indeed, an annoying ass.
    Centella Cajon, Mar 30, 2007