    better than the dog 14-42mm Panasonic replaced the well-regarded
    14-45mm with.

    http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page3.asp

    RichA, Jan 6, 2011

  2. RichA

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    RichA <> wrote:
    >This is from lower-end of the m4/3rds line-up. $600, in-line with the
    >Samsung APS, the NEX. If the AF works a little better than the last
    >cameras, it could be good. The lens is supposed to be optically
    >better than the dog 14-42mm Panasonic replaced the well-regarded
    >14-45mm with.
    >
    >http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page3.asp

    Still no AF assist lamp or orientation sensor.

    Coming from someone who shot over 100 exposures on an E-PL1 during a
    recent vacation, I can tell you that I seriously miss both of these
    features.

    Mike S., Jan 7, 2011

  3. RichA

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <ig825f$d7f$>,
    Mike S. <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >RichA <> wrote:
    >>This is from lower-end of the m4/3rds line-up. $600, in-line with the
    >>Samsung APS, the NEX. If the AF works a little better than the last
    >>cameras, it could be good. The lens is supposed to be optically
    >>better than the dog 14-42mm Panasonic replaced the well-regarded
    >>14-45mm with.
    >>
    >>http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page3.asp

    >Still no AF assist lamp or orientation sensor.
    >
    >Coming from someone who shot over 100 exposures on an E-PL1 during a
    >recent vacation, I can tell you that I seriously miss both of these
    >features.

    Sorry ... make that "1000 exposures".

    Also to add insult to injury, you can use an Olympus E-series flash on the
    shoe, and while the flash has its own AF-assist lamp right there, the
    &&**&^ camera refuses to use it. By design....

    Mike S., Jan 7, 2011
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    > (Mike S.) wrote in
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>>This is from lower-end of the m4/3rds line-up. $600, in-line with the
    >>>Samsung APS, the NEX. If the AF works a little better than the last
    >>>cameras, it could be good. The lens is supposed to be optically
    >>>better than the dog 14-42mm Panasonic replaced the well-regarded
    >>>14-45mm with.
    >>>
    >>>http://dpreview.com/previews/olympusepl2/page3.asp

    >> Still no AF assist lamp or orientation sensor.

    >Friend said he'd stick with the GF1 because of the AF assist.

    The new GF2 got an excellent review in this week's "Amateur
    Photographer". The reviewer (a DSLR user) wrote that he expected not
    to like the touch screen controls. However, when he started using the
    camera he found the controls intuitive and hardly used the buttons.

    His only caveat was that the 12 MP sensor was somewhat restrictive
    when the smaller* Sony NEX5 offers 16 MP. When the newest superzooms
    are offering 16 MP on a much smaller sensor, 12 MP does seem a little
    inadequate, however many pro shooters (and their clients) are very
    happy with results from their 12 MP Nikon D3, D3s and D700 bodies. ;-)

    *smaller body, but massively larger lenses.

    Bruce, Jan 8, 2011
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >> Rich <> wrote:
    >>> (Mike S.) wrote in

    >the

    >>>Friend said he'd stick with the GF1 because of the AF assist.

    >> The new GF2 got an excellent review in this week's "Amateur
    >> Photographer". The reviewer (a DSLR user) wrote that he expected not
    >> to like the touch screen controls. However, when he started using the
    >> camera he found the controls intuitive and hardly used the buttons.
    >>
    >> His only caveat was that the 12 MP sensor was somewhat restrictive
    >> when the smaller* Sony NEX5 offers 16 MP. When the newest superzooms
    >> are offering 16 MP on a much smaller sensor, 12 MP does seem a little
    >> inadequate, however many pro shooters (and their clients) are very
    >> happy with results from their 12 MP Nikon D3, D3s and D700 bodies. ;-)
    >>
    >> *smaller body, but massively larger lenses.
    >>

    >90% of the people buying the cameras would never be printing anything or
    >cropping anything to the point where they could tell 12 from 16
    >megapixels anyway.

    That's an ever-present fact, I agree.

    >The NEX's best attribute over micro 4/3rds is noise
    >control. The cameras are a pain to use, I won't buy one, they are simply
    >too small and too limited. I was under the impression the GF2 was an
    >attempt by Panasonic to cut the cost of production of the pricey GF1? I
    >have to get a look at a GF2. But I won't move from the G1 until something
    >else (apart from the GH series) comes out with a good built-in EVF.

    We have GF2s in stock but not yet on the shelves. We want to sell off
    our final stock of GF1 bodies first. So I haven't had an opportunity
    to try a GF2, although we have already sold a couple to customers who
    had pre-ordered them. I will be encouraged by the review in AP to
    approach the GF2 with an open mind, not least because I expect we will
    be selling lots of them.

    As for NEX, Sony will be introducing at least *five* new lenses for
    the system this year, including at least one Carl Zeiss optic. We
    have ordered a selection without knowing much about them, because if
    there is one thing the NEX system needs it is more and better lenses.

    NEX has been a very good seller for us and I am getting to like it for
    that reason.

    Bruce, Jan 9, 2011