    EVF is likely to be one of the best available, possibly quite similar
    to the one used by Sony in the Alpha 77 and NEX-7.

    http://www.43rumors.com/

    Bruce, Jan 17, 2012

  2. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 17, 5:26 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > There are strong rumours that the soon-to-be-announced Olympus Micro
    > Four Thirds body, which will be the first with a built-in electronic
    > viewfinder (EVF), will be called the OM-D and have more than a faint
    > physical resemblance to the iconic Olympus OM-1 SLR.
    >
    > It will also be weather sealed, and is expected to list for USD 1100,
    > EUR 1000 or GBP 900.  Street prices should be lower.
    >
    > The sensor will be the first from Olympus with more than 12.3 MP, and
    > is likely to be the 16 MP Panasonic sensor from the LUMIX DMC-G3.  The
    > EVF is likely to be one of the best available, possibly quite similar
    > to the one used by Sony in the Alpha 77 and NEX-7.
    >
    > http://www.43rumors.com/

    It sounds enticing, many Olympus fans fantasized about a digital
    OM-1n, but the bodies of these old cameras would be very expensive to
    build today, machined parts, brass, chrome plating (the Eurotrash
    would probably try to ban it because plating operations are "bad" for
    the environment). Likely if it does take after the OM cameras, the
    resemblance will be minor. Realistically, a modern DSLR (a good one
    that is, like the D300 or higher level Canons) have better bodies than
    the old SLR's when it comes to handling. So while diverging from the
    new designs might be nice for a nostalgia trip, functionally it might
    not be a great idea. But there is something to be said for the
    psychological benefits of shooting with a camera that looks good and
    old SLRs sure did look better than the ominous black painted DSLRs of
    today.

    RichA, Jan 17, 2012

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >It sounds enticing, many Olympus fans fantasized about a digital
    >OM-1n, but the bodies of these old cameras would be very expensive to
    >build today, machined parts, brass, chrome plating (the Eurotrash
    >would probably try to ban it because plating operations are "bad" for
    >the environment). Likely if it does take after the OM cameras, the
    >resemblance will be minor. Realistically, a modern DSLR (a good one
    >that is, like the D300 or higher level Canons) have better bodies than
    >the old SLR's when it comes to handling. So while diverging from the
    >new designs might be nice for a nostalgia trip, functionally it might
    >not be a great idea. But there is something to be said for the
    >psychological benefits of shooting with a camera that looks good and
    >old SLRs sure did look better than the ominous black painted DSLRs of
    >today.

    Some did, but many 35mm SLRs were also ominously painted black. ;-)

    Bruce, Jan 17, 2012
  4. Bruce

    android Guest

    In article <>,
    Bruce <> wrote:

    > RichA <> wrote:
    > >
    > >It sounds enticing, many Olympus fans fantasized about a digital
    > >OM-1n, but the bodies of these old cameras would be very expensive to
    > >build today, machined parts, brass, chrome plating (the Eurotrash
    > >would probably try to ban it because plating operations are "bad" for
    > >the environment). Likely if it does take after the OM cameras, the
    > >resemblance will be minor. Realistically, a modern DSLR (a good one
    > >that is, like the D300 or higher level Canons) have better bodies than
    > >the old SLR's when it comes to handling. So while diverging from the
    > >new designs might be nice for a nostalgia trip, functionally it might
    > >not be a great idea. But there is something to be said for the
    > >psychological benefits of shooting with a camera that looks good and
    > >old SLRs sure did look better than the ominous black painted DSLRs of
    > >today.

    > Some did, but many 35mm SLRs were also ominously painted black. ;-)

    Yeah, and properly used the brass was showing. :)
    --
    moved files are either renamed or copied and destroyed

    android, Jan 17, 2012
  5. Bruce

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 17, 9:22 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    > RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > >It sounds enticing, many Olympus fans fantasized about a digital
    > >OM-1n, but the bodies of these old cameras would be very expensive to
    > >build today, machined parts, brass, chrome plating (the Eurotrash
    > >would probably try to ban it because plating operations are "bad" for
    > >the environment).  Likely if it does take after the OM cameras, the
    > >resemblance will be minor. Realistically, a modern DSLR (a good one
    > >that is, like the D300 or higher level Canons) have better bodies than
    > >the old SLR's when it comes to handling. So while diverging from the
    > >new designs might be nice for a nostalgia trip, functionally it might
    > >not be a great idea.  But there is something to be said for the
    > >psychological benefits of shooting with a camera that looks good and
    > >old SLRs sure did look better than the ominous black painted DSLRs of
    > >today.

    > Some did, but many 35mm SLRs were also ominously painted black.  ;-)

    But the black finish looked 100x better than the paint jobs on modern
    DSLRs.

    RichA, Jan 17, 2012
  6. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >On Jan 17, 9:22 am, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It sounds enticing, many Olympus fans fantasized about a digital
    >> >OM-1n, but the bodies of these old cameras would be very expensive to
    >> >build today, machined parts, brass, chrome plating (the Eurotrash
    >> >would probably try to ban it because plating operations are "bad" for
    >> >the environment).  Likely if it does take after the OM cameras, the
    >> >resemblance will be minor. Realistically, a modern DSLR (a good one
    >> >that is, like the D300 or higher level Canons) have better bodies than
    >> >the old SLR's when it comes to handling. So while diverging from the
    >> >new designs might be nice for a nostalgia trip, functionally it might
    >> >not be a great idea.  But there is something to be said for the
    >> >psychological benefits of shooting with a camera that looks good and
    >> >old SLRs sure did look better than the ominous black painted DSLRs of
    >> >today.

    >> Some did, but many 35mm SLRs were also ominously painted black.  ;-)

    >But the black finish looked 100x better than the paint jobs on modern
    >DSLRs.

    What you have in mind is quite different to what I have in mind.

    You're probably thinking of stove enamel on brass, such as a Nikon F3
    or FM2 or Leica M6. I'm thinking of a Nikon F801 (N8008) or F80 (N80)
    or a Canon EOS 3, all of which looked very similar to modern DSLRs.

    When I first picked up a Nikon D700 I was struck by just how similar
    it was in overall appearance and handling to my Nikon F100. The trend
    towards 'ominous black painted DSLRs' started long before DSLRs.

    Bruce, Jan 18, 2012