    I have an assortment of Olympus lenses used with an OM2n camera.Can they be
    used with a digital camera ?
    Geoff.

    geoff smith, Apr 5, 2009

  2. geoff smith

    nospam Guest

    In article <eL2Cl.13562$>, SMS
    <> wrote:

    > geoff smith wrote:
    > > I have an assortment of Olympus lenses used with an OM2n camera.Can they be
    > > used with a digital camera ?

    > Unfortunately, Olympus does not make any digital bodies that can use the
    > Olympus OM mount lenses.

    nonsense. old olympus lenses work just fine on olympus 4/3rds bodies
    with an adapter (which was supplied for free early on). they're even
    stabilized if the camera has stabilization.

    nospam, Apr 5, 2009

  3. geoff smith

    Guest

    On Apr 5, 8:15 am, "geoff smith" <> wrote:
    > I have an assortment of Olympus lenses used with an OM2n camera.Can they be
    > used with a digital camera ?
    >                                                                Geoff.

    Visit
    http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewforum.php?id=2
    or
    http://www.mflenses.com/
    or places like below to check for an adapter from OM lenses to be used
    for 4/3 digital cameras (Lumix, Olympus), or Canon
    http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=179

    Surprisingly, savvy people utilize more of their old lenses and found
    out interesting results in their usage (and open new horizon and
    possibilities). This is even more so in continents where people are
    not being driven by commercials and the push to buy, buy and buy.

    Hope this helps

    , Apr 5, 2009
  4. geoff smith

    Alan Hoyle Guest

    On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 09:55:36, SMS wrote:
    > geoff smith wrote:
    >> I have an assortment of Olympus lenses used with an OM2n camera.Can they be
    >> used with a digital camera ?

    > Unfortunately, Olympus does not make any digital bodies that can use the
    > Olympus OM mount lenses.

    This is factually inaccurate and disingenuous. Every Four-Thirds
    camera (Olympus or Panasonic) can use OM lenses with an adapter
    similar to the OM-EOS adapters. Olympus makes the MF-1 adapter for
    around $100, and there are less expensive third-party ones available
    from eBay for $20 and up.

    However, the field of view is subject to the 2x crop factor, so if
    your OM lenses are wide angles, they won't be useful in the same way.
    Also, Olympus recommends stopping down the lenses for best results.
    For aperture recommendations see the MF-1 manual at:

    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/mf1instcomp.pdf

    Lesser "APS" sensor Canons with the "1.6x" crop factor (xxxD and xxD
    series) will provide a wider field of view than the Olympus digital
    SLRS, but still not as wide as what you may be used to from your OM
    bodies. If you have the money to spend on a full-frame body (5D or
    1Ds series), you can get the full wide angle.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

    Alan Hoyle, Apr 6, 2009
  5. geoff smith

    dj_nme Guest

    Alan Hoyle wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 09:55:36, SMS wrote:
    >> geoff smith wrote:
    >>> I have an assortment of Olympus lenses used with an OM2n camera.Can they be
    >>> used with a digital camera ?

    >> Unfortunately, Olympus does not make any digital bodies that can use the
    >> Olympus OM mount lenses.

    > This is factually inaccurate and disingenuous.

    It's absolutely correct: you even contradict yourself with what you
    wrote below:

    > Every Four-Thirds
    > camera (Olympus or Panasonic) can use OM lenses with an adapter
    > similar to the OM-EOS adapters. Olympus makes the MF-1 adapter for
    > around $100, and there are less expensive third-party ones available
    > from eBay for $20 and up.

    In that case, Canon also makes a great series of EOS bodies which can
    (with the appropriate adapter) use OM lenses.
    It's not as good (either the Olympus 4/3 kludge or Canon EOS kludge) as
    having a body which can use the lenses natively, because neither
    "solution" allows for shutter priority auto-exposure or auto-focus as
    there is no aperture coupling and no AF drive coupling.

    > However, the field of view is subject to the 2x crop factor, so if
    > your OM lenses are wide angles, they won't be useful in the same way.
    > Also, Olympus recommends stopping down the lenses for best results.
    > For aperture recommendations see the MF-1 manual at:
    >
    > http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/mf1instcomp.pdf

    That's no better than using an EOS body with an OM adapter.

    > Lesser "APS" sensor Canons with the "1.6x" crop factor (xxxD and xxD
    > series) will provide a wider field of view than the Olympus digital
    > SLRS, but still not as wide as what you may be used to from your OM
    > bodies. If you have the money to spend on a full-frame body (5D or
    > 1Ds series), you can get the full wide angle.

    It is still a problem that there is no DSLR camera body which can use OM
    lenses without compromises.
    Either it has an Olympus logo, 2x crop factor and no aperture or AF
    coupling or it has a Canon logo with either 1.6x or no crop factor and
    still no aperture or AF coupling.

    dj_nme, Apr 7, 2009
  6. geoff smith

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <49da9ebb$0$29872$>, dj_nme
    <> wrote:

    > >> Unfortunately, Olympus does not make any digital bodies that can use the
    > >> Olympus OM mount lenses.

    > > This is factually inaccurate and disingenuous.

    > It's absolutely correct: you even contradict yourself with what you
    > wrote below:

    wrong.

    > > Every Four-Thirds
    > > camera (Olympus or Panasonic) can use OM lenses with an adapter
    > > similar to the OM-EOS adapters. Olympus makes the MF-1 adapter for
    > > around $100, and there are less expensive third-party ones available
    > > from eBay for $20 and up.

    > In that case, Canon also makes a great series of EOS bodies which can
    > (with the appropriate adapter) use OM lenses.

    the difference is that canon does not make such an adapter for olympus
    lenses, but *olympus* *does*. using om lenses on a 4/3rds body is a
    fully supported configuration. olympus even included the adapter long
    ago when 4/3rds was starting out.

    > It's not as good (either the Olympus 4/3 kludge or Canon EOS kludge) as
    > having a body which can use the lenses natively, because neither
    > "solution" allows for shutter priority auto-exposure or auto-focus as
    > there is no aperture coupling and no AF drive coupling.

    of course there's no autofocus. the lenses are *manual focus* lenses!
    plus, stop-down metering doesn't work very well with canon bodies, so
    you wouldn't get accurate aperture priority or manual exposure.

    > > However, the field of view is subject to the 2x crop factor, so if
    > > your OM lenses are wide angles, they won't be useful in the same way.
    > > Also, Olympus recommends stopping down the lenses for best results.
    > > For aperture recommendations see the MF-1 manual at:
    > >
    > > http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/mf1instcomp.pdf

    > That's no better than using an EOS body with an OM adapter.

    actually it is, because as mentioned above, it's supported by olympus
    and stop-down metering works correctly. plus, with a stabilized
    olympus body, the lenses are also stabilized.

    > > Lesser "APS" sensor Canons with the "1.6x" crop factor (xxxD and xxD
    > > series) will provide a wider field of view than the Olympus digital
    > > SLRS, but still not as wide as what you may be used to from your OM
    > > bodies. If you have the money to spend on a full-frame body (5D or
    > > 1Ds series), you can get the full wide angle.

    > It is still a problem that there is no DSLR camera body which can use OM
    > lenses without compromises.

    the original poster did not ask which camera could use olympus lenses
    'without compromises.' he asked which cameras could use olympus lenses
    from an om2n camera. obviously, using a 30 year old manual focus lens
    is going to have some compromises. however, at least it's possible,
    which is more than can be said for 30 year old canon lenses.

    nospam, Apr 7, 2009
  7. geoff smith

    Alan Hoyle Guest

    On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 21:43:11, SMS wrote:
    > dj_nme wrote:
    >> Alan Hoyle wrote:

    >>> This is factually inaccurate and disingenuous.

    >> It's absolutely correct: you even contradict yourself with what you
    >> wrote below:

    > Yes, that was pretty funny. Maybe I should have said, "many different
    > cameras from different manufacturers can use OM lenses in manual mode
    > with an adapter." But of course he knew what I meant, he's just being an
    > idiot.

    It strikes me as disingenuous to, in a single post, say that you _can_
    do this with a Canon DSLR with an OM->EOS adapter, and then say you
    _can't_ do it with an Olympus DSLR, when similar OM->4/3 adapters are
    readily available. Which is precisely what you did in the post:

    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/msg/6f41ef7a7111653b?hl=en

    Unless by "being an idiot" you mean that I followed up to a troll.
    In which case, you got me again.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/

    Alan Hoyle, Apr 7, 2009
  8. geoff smith

    dj_nme Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > "dj_nme" <> wrote:
    >> In that case, Canon also makes a great series of EOS bodies which can
    >> (with the appropriate adapter) use OM lenses.
    >> It's not as good (either the Olympus 4/3 kludge or Canon EOS kludge) as
    >> having a body which can use the lenses natively, because neither
    >> "solution" allows for shutter priority auto-exposure or auto-focus as
    >> there is no aperture coupling and no AF drive coupling.

    > Funny, my Oly lenses didn't have AE or AF on my OM-1...

    Too bad if you're one of the (lucky?) few who bought an OM-707 or OM-101
    and some "Olympus OM for AF lenses" to go with it.
    Then there's the "double whammy" of no aperture coupling and no AF
    coupling to contend with.

    > For landscape work on a 5D/5DII, the Oly wide angle lenses would be more
    > than usable.
    >
    > The more accurate distance scales would be a big plus. Manual aperture
    > operation is a pain, but not a show stopper. Until Zeiss comes out with the
    > 18, 21, and 35mm lenses in Canon mounts, the Oly lenses are one of the
    > better options.

    Some determined people also have adapted OM lenses to fit a Pentax DSLR
    camera, by replacing the OM mount with a custom machined PK lens-mount.

    It always fascinates me: the extent to which some people will go to in
    order to use particular/peculiar lens and body combinations.

    dj_nme, Apr 8, 2009