Olympus lens on Canon EOS - PixelPix Photography Help Blog

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PixelPix, Jun 23, 2007.

  1. PixelPix

    PixelPix Guest

    PixelPix, Jun 23, 2007

  2. PixelPix

    Roy G Guest

    "PixelPix" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello.
    >
    > My latest blog entry talks about the use of Olympus lenses on Canon
    > EOS bodies.
    >
    > http://russellspixelpix.blogspot.com/2007/06/olympus-lenses-on-your-canon-slr-one-of.html
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Russell Stewart
    > My Gallery:
    > http://www.pixelpix.com.au/gallery
    >
    > My Competition Web Site:
    > http://www.potd.com.au
    >
    > My Photography Help Blog:
    > http://blog.pixelpix.com.au

    Hi

    In spite of all the times I have slagged off blogspots dot com postings, I
    must say that this site is both worthwhile and interesting.

    The articles are very well written, (in spite of his comments about his
    typing skills), and provide advice and info which will be of use to most
    Photographers. Even if, like me, you think you know a lot, you will still
    find something of use.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jun 23, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    PixelPix <> writes
    >Hello.
    >
    >My latest blog entry talks about the use of Olympus lenses on Canon EOS
    >bodies.

    I think you have your critique of your early adapter the wrong way
    round: if you couldn't focus at infinity it is because the adapter was
    too thick, not too thin. Closer focussing moves the lens away from the
    sensor.

    There are a couple of other reasons for needing a quality adapter, one
    with the correct thickness which, although they don't apply to the
    lenses you list, could be important to anyone else following your blog.

    If you are using a zoom lens then the wrong adapter thickness, whether
    too thick or too thin, will result in the focus drifting with zoom. So
    you might get excellent manual focus at the long end of the zoom and
    find the focus shifting when you pull back to the wide end of the zoom.
    All of my OM lenses have separate zoom and focus rings and hold their
    focus excellently throughout the range. This seems to be typical of
    older MF lenses, while AF lenses which can rely on the electronics
    correcting any mis-focus as soon as the shutter is pressed, and it is a
    shame to lose that reliability because of a cheap adapter.

    Also, lenses which use internal focussing mechanisms (rather than
    shifting the entire optical assembly back and forth) rely on the correct
    backworking distance for optimum performance. A poor adapter can result
    in sub-optimal lens performance, with resolution much lower than it
    should be.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Jun 23, 2007
  4. PixelPix

    PixelPix Guest

    On Jun 24, 12:29 am, Kennedy McEwen <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > PixelPix <> writes
    >
    > >Hello.

    > >My latest blog entry talks about the use of Olympus lenses on Canon EOS
    > >bodies.

    > I think you have your critique of your early adapter the wrong way
    > round: if you couldn't focus at infinity it is because the adapter was
    > too thick, not too thin. Closer focussing moves the lens away from the
    > sensor.
    >
    > There are a couple of other reasons for needing a quality adapter, one
    > with the correct thickness which, although they don't apply to the
    > lenses you list, could be important to anyone else following your blog.
    >
    > If you are using a zoom lens then the wrong adapter thickness, whether
    > too thick or too thin, will result in the focus drifting with zoom. So
    > you might get excellent manual focus at the long end of the zoom and
    > find the focus shifting when you pull back to the wide end of the zoom.
    > All of my OM lenses have separate zoom and focus rings and hold their
    > focus excellently throughout the range. This seems to be typical of
    > older MF lenses, while AF lenses which can rely on the electronics
    > correcting any mis-focus as soon as the shutter is pressed, and it is a
    > shame to lose that reliability because of a cheap adapter.
    >
    > Also, lenses which use internal focussing mechanisms (rather than
    > shifting the entire optical assembly back and forth) rely on the correct
    > backworking distance for optimum performance. A poor adapter can result
    > in sub-optimal lens performance, with resolution much lower than it
    > should be.
    > --
    > Kennedy
    > Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
    > A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.
    > Python Philosophers (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)

    Thanks Kennedy,

    I have made the change and also quoted your zoom and internal focus
    comments (giving you full credit naturally)... let me know if this is
    not OK and I will remove it.

    Cheers

    Russell

    PixelPix, Jun 23, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    PixelPix <> writes
    >Thanks Kennedy,
    >
    >I have made the change and also quoted your zoom and internal focus
    >comments (giving you full credit naturally)... let me know if this is
    >not OK and I will remove it.

    Thanks Russell, your welcome.
    --
    Kennedy

    Kennedy McEwen, Jun 23, 2007
  6. PixelPix

    Wayne Guest

    Good article Russell. Well written and good information. I'll post a
    link to it off of my site, if that's ok?

    Cheers,

    Wayne
    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Publisher, Experimental Digital Photography

    Wayne, Jun 24, 2007
  7. PixelPix

    PixelPix Guest

    On Jun 24, 10:53 am, Wayne <> wrote:
    > Good article Russell. Well written and good information. I'll post a
    > link to it off of my site, if that's ok?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne
    > --
    > Wayne J. Cosshall
    > Publisher, The Digital ImageMaker,http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    > Blog http://www.digitalimagemakerworld.com/
    > Publisher, Experimental Digital Photographyhttp://www.experimentaldigitalphotography.com
    > Personal art sitehttp://www.cosshall.com/

    [CHOMP]

    I am happy for you to link to any part of, or all of my blog
    Wayne. ;-)

    Sorry I don't have a "links" page on the blog yet, but I will get to
    it soon and return the link.

    Cheers

    Russell
    My Photography Help Blog: http://blog.pixelpix.com.au