Olympus: "It's the end, the END!!!"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 11, 2011.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jan 11, 2011

  2. RichA

    otter Guest

    Re: Olympus: "It's the end, the END!!!"

    On Jan 10, 9:35 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    > 20%?  With Canon and Nikon very likely to come online in the next year
    > with mirror-less cameras?  With ultra huge Samsung wanting more?
    > Competing directly with Panasonic (also huge) directly on m4/3rds?
    > Bye, bye, Olympus.
    >
    > http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6232FA20100304?pageNumber=2

    20% is actually higher than I expected. How much of the market do
    Canon+Nikon have? It must be less than 80%. Say it's 60 to 70%. If
    split equally, that means they only have 30 to 35% market share each,
    themselves. Not so much more that Olympus couldn't be a niche
    player. That's IF, of course, they actually get the 20%.
    otter, Jan 11, 2011

  3. RichA

    On Jan 10, 11:06 pm, otter <> wrote:
    > On Jan 10, 9:35 pm, RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > > 20%?  With Canon and Nikon very likely to come online in the next year
    > > with mirror-less cameras?  With ultra huge Samsung wanting more?
    > > Competing directly with Panasonic (also huge) directly on m4/3rds?
    > > Bye, bye, Olympus.

    > >http://www.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE6232FA20100304?pageNumber=2

    > 20% is actually higher than I expected.  How much of the market do
    > Canon+Nikon have?  It must be less than 80%.  Say it's 60 to 70%.  If
    > split equally, that means they only have 30 to 35% market share each,
    > themselves.  Not so much more that Olympus couldn't be a niche
    > player.  That's IF, of course, they actually get the 20%.

    You gave a link to the second page of a two page article, which didn't
    have much on it. I see they are predicting micro 4/3rds will be 20%
    of the total interchangable lens camera market. That makes more
    sense, and gets Olympus back to probably a 6-7% share or so.
    otter, Jan 11, 2011