Olympus is CRAP

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Dave, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Dave

    Chris Guest

    "Dave" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Finally found a thread that tells it all. Design a camera with a long
    > lens and a plastic tripod mount and then use this as an excuse to
    > invalidate the warranty if customer has attempted a trivial repair.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=2883038
    >

    > I will NEVER buy another Olympus.

    What sort of idiot tries to repair an item that's under warranty?
    Have you read alot of warranties? Most of them are invalidated if you open
    them up, or alter them in ANY way.

    Chris, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Dave wrote:
    > Finally found a thread that tells it all. Design a camera with a long
    > lens and a plastic tripod mount and then use this as an excuse to
    > invalidate the warranty if customer has attempted a trivial repair.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=2883038
    >

    > I will NEVER buy another Olympus.

    What company does warranty customer's repair attempts?

    I also vote for Olympus.

    You may have a valid grip about the construction, maybe not. I don't
    know.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Dave

    Helge Olsen Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > > Finally found a thread that tells it all. Design a camera with a long
    > > lens and a plastic tripod mount and then use this as an excuse to
    > > invalidate the warranty if customer has attempted a trivial repair.
    > >
    > > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=2883038
    > >

    > > I will NEVER buy another Olympus.

    > What sort of idiot tries to repair an item that's under warranty?
    > Have you read alot of warranties? Most of them are invalidated if you

    open
    > them up, or alter them in ANY way.

    Maybe a member of FAGOT (Federal Association of Gay Offtopic Trolls)

    /Helge

    Helge Olsen, Apr 4, 2004
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    http://forums.dpreview.com/... .../read.asp?forum=1008&message=2942324

    Dave, Apr 5, 2004
  6. Dave

    Julie Quinn Guest

    (Dave) wrote in

    > (Dave) wrote in message
    >> Finally found a thread that tells it all. Design a camera with a
    >> long lens and a plastic tripod mount and then use this as an
    >> excuse to invalidate the warranty if customer has attempted a
    >> trivial repair.
    >>

    > http://forums.dpreview.com/...
    > .../read.asp?forum=1008&message=2942324

    The minimum prices for Olympus servicing are on the web at
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/repair_pricelist.
    pdf I agree that they're high, and I agree the tripod mount on the
    UZ series leaves something to be desired (though I've never had
    trouble with my C-700 or C-730 and I use battery packs that screw in
    to said mount), but the cost of the repair shouldn't have surprised
    anyone.

    Now Dave, why don't you go out with your C-740 and take some pics
    instead of searching DPReview for two-year-old articles about someone
    else's negative experience with Olympus service?

    Julie

    Julie Quinn, Apr 5, 2004
  7. Dave

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Finally found a thread that tells it all. Design a camera with a long
    > lens and a plastic tripod mount and then use this as an excuse to
    > invalidate the warranty if customer has attempted a trivial repair.
    >
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=2883038
    >

    > I will NEVER buy another Olympus.

    Ok, fine. Your money, your choice, but does that give you the right to
    make a generalized claim as in the subject of this thread? NO way!

    You voided your warranty, clearly explained, right? Write to 10 other
    companies and ask if THEY would have honored the warranty under the same
    situation.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 7, 2004
  8. Dave

    npa Guest

    > trouble with my C-700 or C-730 and I use battery packs that screw in
    > to said mount), but the cost of the repair shouldn't have surprised

    hi,
    what is the name of the battery pack,
    can be used with Oly c-4000zoom ?
    ty

    npa, Apr 7, 2004
  9. Dave

    Julie Quinn Guest

    "npa" <> wrote in news:4073ee81$0$500
    $:

    > hi,
    > what is the name of the battery pack,
    > can be used with Oly c-4000zoom ?
    > ty

    It's the DigiPower DPS9000, and it is compatible with the Oly C-4000
    according to the sheet that came with mine. I got it for about $40 at
    Best Buy a couple of years ago, and it was well worth it for me. It
    comes with an AC adapter, car lighter adapter and cables for a wide
    range of digital cameras and videorecorders. It charges quickly and has
    an LED display to indicate how much juice is left. It screws into the
    tripod mount of the camera and has its own mount so you can still use a
    tripod or flash bracket. It's only slightly heavier than the set of 4
    AAs my camera would otherwise take and fits nicely on my little C-730.

    See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006OAJ4/104-
    4734768-0199921?v=glance

    Julie

    Julie Quinn, Apr 7, 2004
  10. Dave

    npa Guest

    > It's the DigiPower DPS9000, and it is compatible with the Oly C-4000
    > according to the sheet that came with mine. I got it for about $40 at
    > Best Buy a couple of years ago, and it was well worth it for me. It
    > comes with an AC adapter, car lighter adapter and cables for a wide
    > range of digital cameras and videorecorders. It charges quickly and has
    > an LED display to indicate how much juice is left. It screws into the
    > tripod mount of the camera and has its own mount so you can still use a
    > tripod or flash bracket. It's only slightly heavier than the set of 4
    > AAs my camera would otherwise take and fits nicely on my little C-730.
    >
    > See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006OAJ4/104-
    > 4734768-0199921?v=glance
    >
    > Julie

    Thanks Julie

    npa, Apr 8, 2004
  11. Dave

    Jaimie Guest

    Actually, Olympus is one of the friendliest companies to deal with.

    Write them a short letter and explain why you're upset. They might credit you.

    Jaimie
    http://www.camerarepair.com

    Jaimie, Apr 16, 2004
  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message news:<3hZbc.384473$>...
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message
    > > Finally found a thread that tells it all. Design a camera with a long
    > > lens and a plastic tripod mount and then use this as an excuse to
    > > invalidate the warranty if customer has attempted a trivial repair.
    > >
    > > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=2883038
    > >

    > > I will NEVER buy another Olympus.

    > What sort of idiot tries to repair an item that's under warranty?
    > Have you read alot of warranties? Most of them are invalidated if
    > you open them up, or alter them in ANY way.

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1008&message=2942324

    The camera was not opened. Epoxy was simply applied to the tripod
    mount hole. A hole in a closed molded plastic part. There are
    adhesives that could have caused vapor damage inside the product --
    such as lens fogging, but that was not true in this case, in fact the
    old part was returned to the customer and obviously was not an issue.
    To pretend that epoxy vapor could cause an electronics failure is an
    out and out lie. Any camera that accepts large add-on lenses but has a
    plastic tripod mount is a CRAP DESIGN, and to void a warranty over a
    reasonable and harmless stop-gap repair on a shoddy part of the camera
    design is simply too much. As you say the company had the right to
    void the warranty but in this case it seems like an excuse rather than
    a reason.

    Dave, Apr 17, 2004