Olympus in 'exclusive negotiations' with Sony

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Sep 15, 2012.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/Olympus-Sony

    September 14, 2012

    Not a rumor, but an exciting piece of news: Sony and Olympus announced
    yesterday, September 14th, that they have entered into exclusive
    negotiations to conclude a capital partnership:


    Olympus discussed with several potential partners but eventually chose
    Sony

    Sony will invest ¥50bn (i.e. €485m or $640m) in Olympus

    Olympus and Sony will set up a joint-venture to develop medical
    devices of the next generation, such as high definition endoscopes
    with video and 3D technology

    In order to leverage Olympus’s business of digital cameras, which is
    in a slump, Olympus and Sony will promote cooperation and jointly
    develop some components

    Both parties expect to sign a definitive agreement within a month.

    http://tinyurl.com/Olympus-Sony


    It is also worth reading the comments at the bottom of the article
    regarding Sony's strong desire to stop making the heavily loss-making
    Alpha SLTs and concentrate on the profitable NEX business.

    One can only speculate as to the future of the Olympus 4/3 DSLR range
    and whether Sony would be happy to sanction continuing investment in
    Olympus's heavily loss-making m4/3 mirrorless range.
     
    Bruce, Sep 15, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Bruce

    Me Guest

    On 16/09/2012 10:17 a.m., Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012.09.15 17:57 , Bruce wrote:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/Olympus-Sony
    >>
    >> September 14, 2012
    >>
    >> Not a rumor, but an exciting piece of news: Sony and Olympus announced
    >> yesterday, September 14th, that they have entered into exclusive
    >> negotiations to conclude a capital partnership:
    >>
    >>
    >> Olympus discussed with several potential partners but eventually chose
    >> Sony
    >>
    >> Sony will invest ¥50bn (i.e. €485m or $640m) in Olympus
    >>
    >> Olympus and Sony will set up a joint-venture to develop medical
    >> devices of the next generation, such as high definition endoscopes
    >> with video and 3D technology
    >>
    >> In order to leverage Olympus’s business of digital cameras, which is
    >> in a slump, Olympus and Sony will promote cooperation and jointly
    >> develop some components
    >>
    >> Both parties expect to sign a definitive agreement within a month.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/Olympus-Sony

    >
    > If it helps both parties serve their customers with lower cost
    > components, then fine.
    >
    > But similar efforts by Japanese companies (in television) have not borne
    > fruit.

    Not yet...
    Sony/Panasonic have a JV to develop large OLED TV panels. Using Samsung
    (Sony) and LG (Panasonic) for large panel LCD supply was a financial
    disaster for them both.
    I hope they succeed. Japan at least had Sharp with LCD panel
    production, but not price competitive with LG/Samsung production.
    >
    >> It is also worth reading the comments at the bottom of the article
    >> regarding Sony's strong desire to stop making the heavily loss-making
    >> Alpha SLTs and concentrate on the profitable NEX business.

    >
    > Not worth noting at all as it's just a comment from some guy named jake.
    >

    Olympus camera division don't have anything of value to offer Sony,
    except as an outlet for components. Combining fractional players too
    often has the effect on market share of multiplying fractions, not
    adding them together.
     
    Me, Sep 16, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Rich <> wrote:

    >Bruce <> wrote in
    >news::
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/Olympus-Sony
    >>
    >> September 14, 2012
    >>
    >> Not a rumor, but an exciting piece of news: Sony and Olympus announced
    >> yesterday, September 14th, that they have entered into exclusive
    >> negotiations to conclude a capital partnership:
    >>
    >>
    >> Olympus discussed with several potential partners but eventually chose
    >> Sony
    >>
    >> Sony will invest ¥50bn (i.e. €485m or $640m) in Olympus
    >>

    >
    >Why would Sony? For the name Olympus? I can't see m4/3 and NEX existing
    >side by side. Please, don't let APS replace 4/3rds.



    The photo division of Olympus is very small indeed when compared with
    the medical imaging division. Olympus's many suitors are only
    interested in the medical imaging division.

    Sony would not be taking over Olympus, just investing in it. I don't
    know what percentage of Olympus shares $640 million would buy, but
    previous articles have suggested only 10% - 15%. That would not be
    enough to gain control.

    However, Sony will want to see Olympus making some specific changes in
    response to the new investment, What those changes would be will not
    become apparent until the deal has been sealed.
     
    Bruce, Sep 16, 2012
    #3
  4. Bruce

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <k33nvv$g28$>, Me <> wrote:
    >>

    >Olympus camera division don't have anything of value to offer Sony,
    >except as an outlet for components.


    The OM-D was very hard to get for a while, and the reviews seem to be
    very positive. How do sales compare to Lumix?

    --
    "Remember when teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS
    crashed the stock market, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in
    TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in
    bonuses, and paid no taxes? Yeah, me neither."
     
    Paul Ciszek, Sep 17, 2012
    #4
  5. Bruce

    Me Guest

    On 18/09/2012 5:43 a.m., Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <k33nvv$g28$>, Me <> wrote:
    >>>

    >> Olympus camera division don't have anything of value to offer Sony,
    >> except as an outlet for components.

    >
    > The OM-D was very hard to get for a while, and the reviews seem to be
    > very positive. How do sales compare to Lumix?
    >


    I don't like the OM-D at all - too small for my hands with too many
    fiddly and hard to find controls, and a not very nice low-res EVF. I
    suspect it's main appeal was for a "retro" look. But it is only a
    "look", as the thing is jam-packed with technology and not
    simple/intuitive to use, so there's really nothing there but a passing
    resemblance to the thing it was based on.
    That's been a successful formula for VW ("new" Beetle), BMW ("new" Mini)
    etc, but in the camera business I suspect only Leica has the heritage to
    pull it off medium term - now we're in the day of the disposable digital
    camera body.
     
    Me, Sep 17, 2012
    #5
  6. Bruce

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <k38554$iq5$>, Me <> wrote:
    >On 18/09/2012 5:43 a.m., Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>
    >> The OM-D was very hard to get for a while, and the reviews seem to be
    >> very positive. How do sales compare to Lumix?
    >>

    >
    >I don't like the OM-D at all - too small for my hands with too many
    >fiddly and hard to find controls, and a not very nice low-res EVF. I
    >suspect it's main appeal was for a "retro" look. But it is only a
    >"look", as the thing is jam-packed with technology and not
    >simple/intuitive to use, so there's really nothing there but a passing
    >resemblance to the thing it was based on.
    >That's been a successful formula for VW ("new" Beetle), BMW ("new" Mini)
    >etc, but in the camera business I suspect only Leica has the heritage to
    >pull it off medium term - now we're in the day of the disposable digital
    >camera body.


    "Disposable" for people who are able to treat something costing hundreds
    of dollars as "disposable", I suppose.

    But my question was about sales. Is the OM-D doing well or not?
    And with other camera makers trying to get into mirrorless, does
    micro four-thirds have a future? Or is everyone trying to come up
    with a standard that will force you to buy only their lenses?

    --
    "Remember when teachers, public employees, Planned Parenthood, NPR and PBS
    crashed the stock market, wiped out half of our 401Ks, took trillions in
    TARP money, spilled oil in the Gulf of Mexico, gave themselves billions in
    bonuses, and paid no taxes? Yeah, me neither."
     
    Paul Ciszek, Sep 17, 2012
    #6
  7. Bruce

    Me Guest

    On 18/09/2012 10:19 a.m., Paul Ciszek wrote:
    > In article <k38554$iq5$>, Me <> wrote:
    >> On 18/09/2012 5:43 a.m., Paul Ciszek wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The OM-D was very hard to get for a while, and the reviews seem to be
    >>> very positive. How do sales compare to Lumix?
    >>>

    >>
    >> I don't like the OM-D at all - too small for my hands with too many
    >> fiddly and hard to find controls, and a not very nice low-res EVF. I
    >> suspect it's main appeal was for a "retro" look. But it is only a
    >> "look", as the thing is jam-packed with technology and not
    >> simple/intuitive to use, so there's really nothing there but a passing
    >> resemblance to the thing it was based on.
    >> That's been a successful formula for VW ("new" Beetle), BMW ("new" Mini)
    >> etc, but in the camera business I suspect only Leica has the heritage to
    >> pull it off medium term - now we're in the day of the disposable digital
    >> camera body.

    >
    > "Disposable" for people who are able to treat something costing hundreds
    > of dollars as "disposable", I suppose.
    >

    It could be much worse - look at the mobile phone market.
    >
    > But my question was about sales. Is the OM-D doing well or not?
    > And with other camera makers trying to get into mirrorless, does
    > micro four-thirds have a future? Or is everyone trying to come up
    > with a standard that will force you to buy only their lenses?
    >

    I don't know how the OM-D sales are going. There was no shortage here -
    my local "real" camera stores had OM-Ds on the shelf when there was
    supposed to be short supply in the USA. The folks in the camera store I
    deal with were telling me that sales of the OM-D had fallen sharply
    since the D3200 release. I don't know if that was because it had more
    megapixels at a lower price, or was just because it was the "latest"
    model in store on the day I was there. Nikon and Canon still seem to be
    dominating dslr sales, and I suspect of what's left - in other makers
    dslrs, slts, and milcs, the market is probably quite fickle.
     
    Me, Sep 18, 2012
    #7
  8. Bruce

    Trevor Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    news:k38bi0$ubd$...
    >> "Disposable" for people who are able to treat something costing hundreds
    >> of dollars as "disposable", I suppose.
    > >

    > It could be much worse - look at the mobile phone market.


    Computers just as bad. But nowhere near ladies fashions of course! :)

    Trevor.
     
    Trevor, Sep 19, 2012
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 SLI Motherboard - UK Exclusive

    Silverstrand, Jun 29, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    857
    unholy
    Jun 29, 2005
  2. PJ Kni
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    472
    dworkin
    Aug 4, 2005
  3. Allan
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    559
  4. Mickey Mouse

    Red Hat in patent negotiations with Microsoft

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 3, 2007, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    333
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Jul 4, 2007
  5. Brian

    XFERING jobs, pay drop & negotiations

    Brian, Jan 21, 2008, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    522
    dadiOH
    Jan 21, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page