    I take pictures.

    Thanks for your help!
    John
    John, Nov 29, 2003

  2. John

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    John <> wrote:

    > I have an Olympus C750. After taking pics I download them to my computer
    > using Camedia software. All the pics in the thumbnails look fine. It is
    > when I select the thumbnail to enlarge that the problems occur. One out of
    > ten pics are cut-off in some degree or the other. Looks fine in thumbnail
    > but cut-off in the full size view. The portion of the pic that is cut-off
    > is grayed out.
    >
    > I thought the 256mb Olympus XD memory card was the problem (so did Olympus)
    > so it was replaced by Olympus. The problem still exists with the new card,
    > however I've never seen the problem with the 16mb card that came with it.
    > Several techs at Olympus have never seen this problem before so I have a
    > difficult time believing it is another bad memory card.
    >
    > I've searched on the internet and have seen no other problem such as this.
    > Any ideas? I'm wondering if I'm doing something that is causing this while
    > I take pictures.

    I had the same thing happen occasionally when loading images from my
    C960. That only had a 8mb card, and I use Mac OS X.

    I got round it by manually downloading the images to HD first, rather
    than using an application to do it. Open the 'Removeable' disk, and
    navigate to the images, then copy (drag) them to the location you want
    on the hard drive. Then open them in the Camedia software.

    Worth a try anyway.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
    Windows free zone (Mac G3)
    Andy Hewitt, Nov 29, 2003

  3. "Andy Hewitt" <> wrote in message
    > John <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have an Olympus C750. After taking pics I download them to my

    computer
    > > using Camedia software. All the pics in the thumbnails look fine. It

    is
    > > when I select the thumbnail to enlarge that the problems occur. One out

    of
    > > ten pics are cut-off in some degree or the other. Looks fine in

    thumbnail
    > > but cut-off in the full size view. The portion of the pic that is

    cut-off
    > > is grayed out.

    > I had the same thing happen occasionally when loading images from my
    > C960. That only had a 8mb card, and I use Mac OS X.
    >
    > I got round it by manually downloading the images to HD first, rather
    > than using an application to do it. Open the 'Removeable' disk, and
    > navigate to the images, then copy (drag) them to the location you want
    > on the hard drive. Then open them in the Camedia software.

    Does this mean it's a timing problem in the USB communication system (or
    whatever you're using to download)?
    Michael A. Covington, Nov 29, 2003
  4. John

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Michael A. Covington <>
    wrote:

    <Snipped Text>
    > > I got round it by manually downloading the images to HD first, rather
    > > than using an application to do it. Open the 'Removeable' disk, and
    > > navigate to the images, then copy (drag) them to the location you want
    > > on the hard drive. Then open them in the Camedia software.
    > >

    > Does this mean it's a timing problem in the USB communication system (or
    > whatever you're using to download)?

    No idea. I don't think so. With the C960 I had to use a card reader, as
    that only had a serial port, and my iMac doesn't have serial. The
    hardware is identical in both scenarios, it's only the method for
    downloading that changes.

    Andy Hewitt, Nov 29, 2003
  5. John

    John Guest

    I downloaded the pics directly to the HD. I then tried to open them in
    Camedia and it did the same thing. I then tried to open them in Dell
    Picture Studio and it did it again. So I'm guessin' the camera is screwed
    up, unless there's somethin' else you think I could try?

    Thanx!
    John
    John, Nov 29, 2003
  6. John

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    John <> wrote:

    > I downloaded the pics directly to the HD. I then tried to open them in
    > Camedia and it did the same thing. I then tried to open them in Dell
    > Picture Studio and it did it again. So I'm guessin' the camera is screwed
    > up, unless there's somethin' else you think I could try?

    It might well be the case. Have you tried using a card reader instead?

    Andy Hewitt, Nov 30, 2003
  7. John

    John Guest

    Haven't tried a card reader. What blows my mind is why the thumbnails look
    OK but the larger view is corrupt? What is acceptable about picure errors?
    Is it normal to have a few corrupt pics in every hundred pics?

    John, Nov 30, 2003
  8. John

    John Guest

    I just blew compressed air in to the memory card slot and tried again. Took
    37 pics.....one was corrupt. Is this acceptable? Maybe I just don't know
    what to expect with these high tech cameras.

    John, Nov 30, 2003
  9. In article <wVnyb.28214$>,
    "John" <> wrote:

    > Haven't tried a card reader. What blows my mind is why the thumbnails look
    > OK but the larger view is corrupt? What is acceptable about picure errors?
    > Is it normal to have a few corrupt pics in every hundred pics?

    Not in my experience. I've used an Oly 2020 and 5050 for four years and
    never had a corrupt image.

    Is there any chance that you take a shot and then turn the camera off?
    Is it possible that you turned the camera off before it was finished
    recording the image?
    Have you tried different cards? One might be defective.
    Other than that, I guess your camera is defective.
    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie Dilks, Nov 30, 2003
  10. John

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    John <> wrote:

    > I just blew compressed air in to the memory card slot and tried again. Took
    > 37 pics.....one was corrupt. Is this acceptable? Maybe I just don't know
    > what to expect with these high tech cameras.

    No it isn't acceptable by any means, although I've only actually had
    about 10 corrupt images in around 1600 taken.

    However, that is actually better than my record with traditional film
    :-/

    One more thought, do they show this problem when viewed in the camera,
    or only once downloaded?

    Andy Hewitt, Nov 30, 2003
  11. John

    Nibbler Guest