Olympus has a new camera in the works

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ms. Jaime, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Ms. Jaime

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    Ms. Jaime, Sep 11, 2003

  2. The Ad said it was based on the 4/3 Open Standard
    The 2/3 sensor is about 6.7 x 8.9 mm. The 4/3 sensor is about 13.5 x 18 mm

    Robert E. Williams, Sep 11, 2003

  3. The Ad said it was based on the 4/3 Open Standard.
    The 2/3 sensor is about 6.7 x 8.9 mm. The 4/3 sensor is about 13.5 x 18 mmn
    (about 4X the area of the 2/3 sensor).
    With only 5 MP to accommodate, each pixel site should be really large, yielding
    LOW noise and great color depth.
    Whether it will catch on with the megapixel hungry crowd, only time will tell.
    Not many manufacturers have yet adopted this "Open Standard".
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Sep 11, 2003
  4. "John" <> writes:

    > This camera was announced and previewed back in June. It has the very small
    > Olympus 2/3 sensor that generates lots of noise. Doesn't look like much of a
    > buy compared to other higher quality cameras that are available for less.

    Nope, the E-1 uses the 4/3 sensor which is about 4 times the size of the 2/3
    sensor.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Ms. Jaime

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > The Ad said it was based on the 4/3 Open Standard.
    > The 2/3 sensor is about 6.7 x 8.9 mm. The 4/3 sensor is about 13.5 x 18 mmn
    > (about 4X the area of the 2/3 sensor).
    > With only 5 MP to accommodate, each pixel site should be really large, yielding
    > LOW noise and great color depth.
    > Whether it will catch on with the megapixel hungry crowd, only time will tell.
    > Not many manufacturers have yet adopted this "Open Standard".
    > Bob Williams

    The E1 has higher noise than the Canon 10D, Nikon D100, and Fuji S2 as
    you can see here:

    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse1/page11.asp

    As for sensor sizes, the E1 sensor is smaller than the 10D which is 22.7
    x 15.1, the D100 which is 23.7 x 15.6, and the S2 which is 23.0 x 15.5.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Ms. Jaime

    Ms. Jaime Guest

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:37:49 GMT, "John" <> wrote:

    >This camera was announced and previewed back in June.

    Okay. Nevermind. :)

    Ms.Jaime

    "This, is an ex-parrot"
    Ms. Jaime, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Ms. Jaime

    Mark B. Guest

    Mark B., Sep 12, 2003
  8. Todd Walker wrote:

    > In article <>, says...
    > > The Ad said it was based on the 4/3 Open Standard.
    > > The 2/3 sensor is about 6.7 x 8.9 mm. The 4/3 sensor is about 13.5 x 18 mmn
    > > (about 4X the area of the 2/3 sensor).
    > > With only 5 MP to accommodate, each pixel site should be really large, yielding
    > > LOW noise and great color depth.
    > > Whether it will catch on with the megapixel hungry crowd, only time will tell.
    > > Not many manufacturers have yet adopted this "Open Standard".
    > > Bob Williams
    > >

    > The E1 has higher noise than the Canon 10D, Nikon D100, and Fuji S2 as
    > you can see here:
    >
    > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse1/page11.asp
    >
    > As for sensor sizes, the E1 sensor is smaller than the 10D which is 22.7
    > x 15.1, the D100 which is 23.7 x 15.6, and the S2 which is 23.0 x 15.5.
    >
    > -

    Absolutely Right!
    For a given number of pixels, a larger sensor usually translates into a less noisy
    image.
    But the 4/3 sensor on the E1 is a big step up from the 2/3 sensor on the 5 MP Oly
    E20, which was already a pretty fine camera.
    Would I purchase it instead of a Canon 10 D? .......NOOOO!
    For $1K, I might think twice, but at MSRP of $2.2K, I think it's going to be a really
    hard sell.
    Bob

    Robert E. Williams, Sep 12, 2003