Olympus firmware upgrade - the truth

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alfred Molon, Jan 30, 2004.

  1. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    The following cameras can be firmware-upgraded by the user:
    C-3040, C-3020, C-4000, C-4040, C-5050, C-5060, C-700, C-730, C-740, C-
    750

    For the firmware upgrade you need a memory card and the firmware, which
    is a file ending with .bin

    To upgrade

    - format the memory card (SM or xD) in the camera.
    - create a folder named "firmware" in the root directory of the memory
    card
    - rename the firmware file to "firmware.bin" and copy it to the firmware
    directory
    - insert the card into the camera and set the camera to playback mode
    - switch on the camera
    - a menu will appear where you can choose whether to upgrade the
    firmware or not
    - after the upgrade format the memory card in the camera (otherwise
    everytime you switch on the camera you will be prompted for the firmware
    upgrade)

    Important: make sure the batteries are fully charged ! If the power goes
    away during the flash process you'll have to send the camera to Olympus
    for servicing.

    Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
    available. However the procedure works. Try copying a text file named
    "firmware.bin" to a /firmware directory on the memory card and you'll
    see that the camera will prompt you or a firmware upgrade if switched on
    in playback mode.

    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jan 30, 2004

  2. If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would not
    be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
    should only be available through an authorized repair source?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 30, 2004

  3. Alfred Molon

    CSM1 Guest

    Most Olympus cameras do not have flash or EEPROMs for their firmware, so
    they are not user upgradable.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_servicerepair.asp

    If you have an E-1 camera it is.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/oai_HeadlinesDetails.asp?pressNo=301

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    CSM1, Jan 30, 2004
  4. No, what parts of the camera systems/functions are upgraded? New or
    improved features?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <M4ASb.94697$>, sligojoeS_PAM_2
    @hotmail.com says...
    > If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would not
    > be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
    > should only be available through an authorized repair source?

    That's not clear. In general newer firmware versions fix some problems
    of older firmware versions. Just to make an example, newer versions of
    the Olympus 5050 have a lower default sharpening level than older
    versions. Users of the 5060 who did the firmware upgrade to v756-80 (the
    5060 firmware is available) reported an improved performance (but the
    discussion is still going on in the 5060 users group).
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jan 31, 2004
  6. Thanks.

    Joseph Meehan, Jan 31, 2004
  7. Alfred Molon

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <>, Alfred
    Molon <> writes:

    >Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
    >available. However the procedure works.

    Do please tell us where we can download the firmware
    updates. (Me, I have a C 4040Z)

    Azzz1588, Jan 31, 2004
  8. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, azzz1588
    @aol.com says...
    > In article <>, Alfred
    > Molon <> writes:
    >
    > >Now the big problem is that the firmware files are not publicly
    > >available. However the procedure works.

    > Do please tell us where we can download the firmware
    > updates. (Me, I have a C 4040Z)

    As I wrote "...the firmware files are not publicly available...". Only
    Olympus has them.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jan 31, 2004
  9. Alfred Molon

    Dave Guest

    "CSM1" <> wrote in message news:<HbASb.12839$>...

    > Most Olympus cameras do not have flash or EEPROMs for their firmware, so
    > they are not user upgradable.
    > http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_servicerepair.asp
    >
    > If you have an E-1 camera it is.
    > http://www.olympusamerica.com/oai_HeadlinesDetails.asp?pressNo=301

    Naah, any camera built within the past ten years uses flash. It is
    just that Olympus doesn't trust consumers to do the upgrade, except
    for the E-1. I suppose this is because the E-1 has some extra
    idiot-proof safeguards built in.

    Dave, Jan 31, 2004
  10. Alfred Molon

    Dave Guest

    > In article <M4ASb.94697$>, sligojoeS_PAM_2
    > @hotmail.com says...
    > > If I may ask; what is upgraded and do you know why the files would

    not
    > > be available? Is it one of those things that the manufacturer believes
    > > should only be available through an authorized repair source?

    > That's not clear. In general newer firmware versions fix some problems
    > of older firmware versions. Just to make an example, newer versions of
    > the Olympus 5050 have a lower default sharpening level than older
    > versions. Users of the 5060 who did the firmware upgrade to v756-80 (the
    > 5060 firmware is available) reported an improved performance (but the
    > discussion is still going on in the 5060 users group).
    > --

    Any idea what the last firmware version was for the 5050?

    Dave, Jan 31, 2004
  11. Alfred Molon

    Drifter Guest

    >As I wrote "...the firmware files are not publicly available...". Only
    >Olympus has them.

    So then by process of elimination I would have to say that the
    firmware is NOT user upgradeable.

    <grin>

    Drifter

    Drifter, Jan 31, 2004
  12. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Alfred Molon, Jan 31, 2004
  13. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >As I wrote "...the firmware files are not publicly available...". Only
    > >Olympus has them.

    > So then by process of elimination I would have to say that the
    > firmware is NOT user upgradeable.

    There is a rumour in the Yahoo group that Olympus will make the firmware
    files available on its site for download.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Jan 31, 2004
  14. Alfred Molon

    John Horner Guest

    > > Do please tell us where we can download the firmware
    > > updates. (Me, I have a C 4040Z)

    > As I wrote "...the firmware files are not publicly available...". Only
    > Olympus has them.

    Then what possible use is there in your posting a procedure for uploading
    these files?

    John

    John Horner, Feb 1, 2004
  15. Alfred Molon

    Jimmy Guest

    "John Horner" <> wrote in message

    > Then what possible use is there in your posting a procedure for uploading
    > these files?

    To demonstrate that Oly's contention that users could not update their own
    firmware was simply because Oly chose not to allow the users to do so. They
    have lead users to believe the bios had to be replaced, but clearly this is
    not the situation for all Oly cameras. Heck if we had known just how simple
    the process really is, we might have requested more fixes, or have even
    dared to ask them what the firmware upgrade is suppose to fix -- treasure
    that! They wanted us in the dark and they still try to keep it that way.

    Jimmy, Feb 1, 2004
  16. Alfred Molon

    Dave Guest

    "Jimmy" <> wrote in message news:<woYSb.14116$ay1.13693@okepread05>...
    > "John Horner" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Then what possible use is there in your posting a procedure for uploading
    > > these files?
    > >

    > To demonstrate that Oly's contention that users could not update their own
    > firmware was simply because Oly chose not to allow the users to do so. They
    > have lead users to believe the bios had to be replaced, but clearly this is
    > not the situation for all Oly cameras. Heck if we had known just how simple
    > the process really is, we might have requested more fixes, or have even
    > dared to ask them what the firmware upgrade is suppose to fix -- treasure
    > that! They wanted us in the dark and they still try to keep it that way.

    Yes, but Olympus can still say that the procedure is too hazardous
    since your batteries might die midway through the upgrade, and
    depending on how their firmware is written, this might ruin the
    camera.

    Dave, Feb 1, 2004
  17. Alfred Molon

    Jimmy Guest

    This is part of Oly's rational in not allowing users to perform the upgrade.
    Granted low batteries or loss of power are a disaster when performing any
    firmware flashes regardless of the equipment. Curious though, other
    manufacturers do provide a means for upgrading camera firmware. This at
    least allows the user a choice if they wish to take the risk. I can
    understand their concerns if the camera is under warranty, but if the camera
    is out of warranty and the user wants to do their own upgrades, why not?

    Jimmy, Feb 1, 2004
  18. Alfred Molon

    humberxz Guest

    Guys.... that may be a breaktrough... Now.... Does anybody know how to
    save the camera's firmaware to bin file?? How to save it to the smar
    media. THere must be such an option in case of emergency... Any
    ideas???

    humberxz, Feb 8, 2004
  19. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, xz5500
    @o2.pl says...
    > Guys.... that may be a breaktrough... Now.... Does anybody know how to
    > save the camera's firmaware to bin file?? How to save it to the smar
    > media. THere must be such an option in case of emergency... Any
    > ideas???

    If that was possible it would be great. Let me know if you find a way to
    do that.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Feb 8, 2004
  20. Alfred Molon

    Joe Wheels Guest

    On a 5050 how would one check his firmware number?

    Joe Wheels, Feb 9, 2004