    Did I miss something here? Or is this the way it's done with these P&S
    cameras?

    thanks

    GS, Apr 26, 2007

  2. GS

    cgiorgio Guest

    "GS" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4i6Yh.1970$JF6.477@edtnps90...
    >A dept where I work just picked up an fe230 camera to record new employee
    >pics. For what they want I would have picked up something that sits on a
    >cradle and stays charged and transfers pic's with a button push a la Kodak,
    >but I digress.
    >
    > I went and gave them a crash course on using it, then installed the
    > bundled software, which transfers easily enough to albums on the pc, but
    > there is no mechanism that I can see that will delete the pictures from
    > the camera automatically after transfer! They have to open the folder in
    > an explorer window, find the pictures and manually delete them.
    >
    > Did I miss something here? Or is this the way it's done with these P&S
    > cameras?
    >
    > thanks

    As far as I know the FE230 like most Olympus cameras connects to the PC as a
    mass storage device - no need to use the Olympus software, Windows Explorer
    will work as well. Of course you can "cut and paste" from the camera DCIM -
    Directory to a directory on the hard disk which would erase the original
    files on the camera's memory card or you can also erase the files using
    Explorer after they have successfully been copied to another storage place.
    What you should not do is format the card using Windows.

    cgiorgio, Apr 26, 2007

  3. GS

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:35:44 +0000, GS wrote:

    > A dept where I work just picked up an fe230 camera to record new
    > employee pics. For what they want I would have picked up something that
    > sits on a cradle and stays charged and transfers pic's with a button
    > push a la Kodak, but I digress.
    >
    > I went and gave them a crash course on using it, then installed the
    > bundled software, which transfers easily enough to albums on the pc, but
    > there is no mechanism that I can see that will delete the pictures from
    > the camera automatically after transfer! They have to open the folder in
    > an explorer window, find the pictures and manually delete them.
    >
    > Did I miss something here? Or is this the way it's done with these P&S
    > cameras?
    >
    > thanks

    FWIW - from what I've been able to piece together, it seems that most
    instances of 'corrupted' memory cards seem to be due to the practice of
    deleting pictures and then taking more photos. IMHO - much better to
    format in the camera after it fills any you've dumped the pictures.

    ray, Apr 26, 2007
  4. GS

    ben brugman Guest

    > FWIW - from what I've been able to piece together, it seems that most
    > instances of 'corrupted' memory cards seem to be due to the practice of
    > deleting pictures and then taking more photos. IMHO - much better to
    > format in the camera after it fills any you've dumped the pictures.

    Yes, but most drunks also started their lives drinking milk.

    What I am saying is that most people delete the pictures from the memory
    cards and the reuse the memory card. So this group is so much larger than
    the group actually formatting the cards, that more problems with this method
    does not indicate that the method is less safe.

    To the OP, most programs do not delete pictures after transfer.
    I for myself do not want the pictures to be deleted until I have at least at
    two places a copy of the picture and I have seen the copies work.

    So transfer the pictures.
    Make a copy to a external disk.
    Check the copy on the external disk, if everything is present then
    delete the pictures from the memory card in camera, or on the PC.

    Ben

    ben brugman, Apr 26, 2007
  5. GS

    GS Guest

    ben brugman wrote:

    >> FWIW - from what I've been able to piece together, it seems that most
    >> instances of 'corrupted' memory cards seem to be due to the practice of
    >> deleting pictures and then taking more photos. IMHO - much better to
    >> format in the camera after it fills any you've dumped the pictures.
    >>

    > Yes, but most drunks also started their lives drinking milk.
    >
    > What I am saying is that most people delete the pictures from the memory
    > cards and the reuse the memory card. So this group is so much larger than
    > the group actually formatting the cards, that more problems with this
    > method
    > does not indicate that the method is less safe.
    >
    > To the OP, most programs do not delete pictures after transfer.
    > I for myself do not want the pictures to be deleted until I have at
    > least at
    > two places a copy of the picture and I have seen the copies work.
    >
    > So transfer the pictures.
    > Make a copy to a external disk.
    > Check the copy on the external disk, if everything is present then
    > delete the pictures from the memory card in camera, or on the PC.
    >
    > Ben

    Well, in this case the pictures are not that critical, so if they find
    it to much of a pain to manually delete the pictures after transferring
    them I'll just write a batch file they can invoke to do it all.

    I've only used my own 2 P&S camera's , an old kodak that deleted the
    pictures after transfer, and afaik my wifes sony does the same thing
    with its software, but most of the time I just plug the card into the
    reader on my epson and do it manually.

    GS, Apr 26, 2007
  6. GS

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 20:23:28 GMT, GS <> wrote:

    >I've only used my own 2 P&S camera's , an old kodak that deleted the
    >pictures after transfer, and afaik my wifes sony does the same thing
    >with its software, but most of the time I just plug the card into the
    >reader on my epson and do it manually.

    Many old-timers are not going to do the 'delete after transfer' thing
    because there are too many things to go wrong. Once the pics are
    deleted and overwritten, they are gone forever.
    Far better to transfer, check the validity of the transferred files,
    *then* erase from the card.
    Experience is a very harsh teacher. :-(

    The View on Disney-owned ABC dropped Rosie
    O'Donnell, even after she agreed to stop
    talking about George Bush. The president
    has no leverage over ABC. Disney is not a
    defense contractor, unless you count the
    war rationales we buy from Fantasyland.

    Bill Funk, Apr 28, 2007