    Thanks to all those who performed the test and contributed the results.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 23, 2005

  2. On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:47:15 +0200, Alfred Molon <>
    wrote:

    >http://myolympus.org/E300/writetime/
    >
    >This camera tops out at over 9 MB/s, meaning that it is the camera
    >with the highest write speeds currently on the market. No other camera
    >comes even close, not even the fastest DLSRs. Note: this write speed is
    >only possible the fastest memory cards currently on the market.
    >
    >Thanks to all those who performed the test and contributed the results.

    So we are happy about the E300. Well I am not. For a test I took some pictures
    of the school across the road. It is laid out with 100 meters of lawn in front.
    Due to vandals we now have a wire fence around the school.

    I was not happy about the test picture I took as I expected the fence to look
    good and well focussed.

    The E300 was set up on a sturdy manfrotto tripod and I used the 2 second delay
    to trigger the exposure. When I saw how bad the pictures were, I took handheld
    pictures with the Canon S1 and the Olympus 2100UZ and all 3 pictures went
    through a similar crop in Photoshop.

    I have placed the pictures on http://members.ii.net/~borge/compare. The names do
    indicate the camera the pictures come from. Lens used on the E300 was the 14-45
    and all pictures were set up to give the same coverage before cropping.

    I have checked the noise reduction and everything else I could think about but
    it seems that the E300 is not even as good as the 2100UZ.

    The camera will eventually go back to the manufacturers as I expected quite a
    lot more for my money.

    Sorry about the quality of the website. For people interested, you click the
    picture to display and right click to save as......
    Pictures have been restricted to a max of 70Kb as that is sufficient to display
    lens quality. The Oly E300 obviously being the larger picture.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    nesredep egrob, Apr 24, 2005

  3. Alfred Molon

    Stacey Guest

    nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:

    > I have checked the noise reduction and everything else I could think about
    > but it seems that the E300 is not even as good as the 2100UZ.

    It's obvious to me the other shots were sharpened a lot more, maybe for you
    these others are a better choice?

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Alfred Molon

    Bob Williams Guest

    nesredep egrob wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:47:15 +0200, Alfred Molon <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>http://myolympus.org/E300/writetime/
    >>
    >>This camera tops out at over 9 MB/s, meaning that it is the camera
    >>with the highest write speeds currently on the market. No other camera
    >>comes even close, not even the fastest DLSRs. Note: this write speed is
    >>only possible the fastest memory cards currently on the market.
    >>
    >>Thanks to all those who performed the test and contributed the results.

    > So we are happy about the E300. Well I am not. For a test I took some pictures
    > of the school across the road. It is laid out with 100 meters of lawn in front.
    > Due to vandals we now have a wire fence around the school.
    >
    > I was not happy about the test picture I took as I expected the fence to look
    > good and well focussed.
    >
    > The E300 was set up on a sturdy manfrotto tripod and I used the 2 second delay
    > to trigger the exposure. When I saw how bad the pictures were, I took handheld
    > pictures with the Canon S1 and the Olympus 2100UZ and all 3 pictures went
    > through a similar crop in Photoshop.
    >
    > I have placed the pictures on http://members.ii.net/~borge/compare. The names do
    > indicate the camera the pictures come from. Lens used on the E300 was the 14-45
    > and all pictures were set up to give the same coverage before cropping.
    >
    > I have checked the noise reduction and everything else I could think about but
    > it seems that the E300 is not even as good as the 2100UZ.
    >
    > The camera will eventually go back to the manufacturers as I expected quite a
    > lot more for my money.
    >
    > Sorry about the quality of the website. For people interested, you click the
    > picture to display and right click to save as......
    > Pictures have been restricted to a max of 70Kb as that is sufficient to display
    > lens quality. The Oly E300 obviously being the larger picture.
    >
    > B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    > If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

    Looks to me like the E300 picture is just not focused properly.
    There wasn't much in the center of the picture to focus on.
    Everything was dark and had no contrast.
    Try repeating the test using a well lighted subject with a lot of
    contrast and detail.
    I suspect your E300 will shine.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Apr 24, 2005
  5. On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 01:18:44 -0400, Stacey <> wrote:

    >nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:
    >

    >> I have checked the noise reduction and everything else I could think about
    >> but it seems that the E300 is not even as good as the 2100UZ.

    >It's obvious to me the other shots were sharpened a lot more, maybe for you
    >these others are a better choice?

    No that is not the case. No sharpning was done. It would hardly have been
    cricket.

    I fitted the 40-140 lens and took the same picture at the 40 setting. Not only
    do I see the fence post extremely sharp but in fact I see the fine fire between
    the posts. That was just done as a quickie, hand held with the same picture.
    That lens is marvellous and well beyond anything the 14-45 can do.

    Another treck to the shop. Seems odd, as I had the long lens exchanged as it was
    hunting when seeking a focus. Surely it is bad luck that I should have 2 faulty
    lenses from Olympus.

    nesredep egrob, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Alfred Molon

    Stacey Guest

    nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote:

    > I fitted the 40-140 lens and took the same picture at the 40 setting. Not
    > only do I see the fence post extremely sharp but in fact I see the fine
    > fire between the posts. That was just done as a quickie, hand held with
    > the same picture. That lens is marvellous and well beyond anything the
    > 14-45 can do.

    So it's not the camera but the lens.. Someone else posted they got a dud
    14-45 so just return it for a replacement. I put the 14-45 on the shelf
    after seeing what the 11-22 does! :)

    --

    Stacey

    Stacey, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Alfred Molon

    Leonard Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > This camera tops out at over 9 MB/s, meaning that it is the camera
    > with the highest write speeds currently on the market. No other camera
    > comes even close, not even the fastest DLSRs.

    [Olympus bash]

    It's a pity the Oly's RAW files are so large that this speed
    advantage doesn't translate into faster per-image speeds.

    Canon 350D: 6.2MB/s, 8MB raw files - 1.3s per image
    Olympus E300: 9.3MB/s, 13.5MB raws - 1.4s per image

    [Canon bash]

    I could be disappointed by the fact that Canon didn't put
    a higher speed card writer into the 350D, but I'm guessing
    that had they done so, they would have reduced the buffer
    size so that it was still limited to 5 or 6 frame RAW bursts.

    [General flailing]

    I notice that my Lexar 80x card is rated by the manufacturer
    at 12MB/s sustained write speed. The Sandisk Extreme III is
    faster still. Even the E300 speed that Alfred published is a
    bit limp compared to what the cards ought to be capable of.
    How come all recent serious and semi-serious cameras aren't
    getting >10M/s on fast cards ?

    - Len

    Leonard, Apr 24, 2005
  8. Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <aKJae.10460$>, Leonard says...

    > It's a pity the Oly's RAW files are so large that this speed
    > advantage doesn't translate into faster per-image speeds.

    That's a holy mistery...

    Even Dave Coffin who wrote the dcraw RAW converter acknowledges that the
    E300 has only 12 bit/pixel.

    12 bit/pixel x 8.3 MP = 11.9 MB and the E300 RAWs are 13.5MB. The files
    are 1.6 MB larger than they should be. Even if we add a thumbnail, there
    are still 1.58 MB which are unaccounted for.

    Why on earth would Olympus inflate the size of their RAW files ? To make
    the camera less competitive ?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Apr 24, 2005