    Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)

    Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

    Thanks for your input
    Fr@nk, Apr 6, 2005

  2. Fr@nk

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <336a2$4253ee18$3e3b2a30$>,
    "Fr@nk" <> wrote:

    > I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
    > full size sensor.
    >
    > Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
    >
    > Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

    You can compare them, they are direct competitors in specifications and
    price. Both have specific stronger and weaker points; both will be very
    capable of making good images. Try them out side by side if possible,
    things like handling are important and very personal. Some will find the
    350D too small, others will find E300 too big, etc.
    A German magazine tested all "cheap" kitlenses in a recent edition and
    the Olympus 14-45 was best of the bunch. The extra 40-150 lens is nice
    because using other lenses is the whole point of owning a DSLR... Thanks
    to the Olympus dust-solution you can also actually change lenses out in
    the field.

    For experiences see http://www.myfourthirds.com for many E1 and E300
    images. usually the lens used is mentioned with an image. There is a
    sister-site for Canon too, see "pixelcritic" link on the page.

    Lourens
    Lourens Smak, Apr 6, 2005

  3. Fr@nk

    Ron Guest

    Just got an e-300 after a lot of procrastination. My reasons for it were
    to some degree personal -- familiarity with the Oly menu system, a lot
    of extra batteries, dedicated flash units, etc. I read a lot of reviews
    and especially appreciate the Wrotniak site http://www.wrotniak.net/ for
    an in-depth look at the e system. My main usability issue is having
    faster firing and lower noise. And access to fine Oly lenses. So far so
    good. My non-Oly flash units work fine, I'm getting very good expsoures
    with the kit lens, and resolution is top knotch down to the lower HQ
    settings. Noise at 400 and under is nowwere to be seen and the camera is
    built like a tank. Because I shoot around construction sites the noise
    filter is a very attractive feature and, in fact, should be a
    determining one all things considered (having scratched an SLR mirror
    once I learned my lesson the hard way).

    Good luck with your choice.

    Ron, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Fr@nk

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <336a2$4253ee18$3e3b2a30$>, Fr@nk
    says...

    http://myolympus.org/E300/
    http://myolympus.org/
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Apr 6, 2005
  5. Fr@nk

    Dirty Harry Guest

    "Ron" <> wrote in message news:LYU4e.3$...
    Because I shoot around construction sites the noise
    filter is a very attractive feature and, in fact, should be a
    determining one all things considered (having scratched an SLR mirror
    once I learned my lesson the hard way).

    can u elaborate? I don't get what you mean.
    --
    www.harryphotots.com - small construction gallery here...
    Dirty Harry, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Fr@nk

    RK Guest

    Holy cow, a typo on my part and sorry for that and confusion (first
    time I ever did that :) ) I was referring not to noise, but DUST
    filter on Oly's. Maybe technically not a 'filter' but a bit of high
    speed shaking which removes most dust from the sensor. This said, I
    also find that for indoor shots which require available light the dslr
    has lower noise at ISO 400 and above than P&S's, though I have
    generally been able to take care of that in post-processing. Thanks for
    pointing out my mistake.

    RK, Apr 7, 2005
  7. On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:11:22 +0200, "Fr@nk" <>
    wrote:

    >I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
    >full size sensor.
    >
    >Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
    >
    >Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?
    >

    >Thanks for your input

    Used mine for 14 days now - very impressed with the speed of auto
    focus. Can take a picture within 1 sec of switching on - very
    impressive - also the use of the flash for getting focus set after
    dark.

    I am also the owner of a Canon S1 and use that as a basis for my
    comparison. A little difficult though to hold the long lens for shots
    in low light - but there is the use of the high ISO and the noise
    filter. I bought mine as I needed a DSLR and chose the Olympus because
    of the super sonic cleaning, needed for cleaning the CCD.

    Incidentally the noise filter (called Noise Reduction by Olympus) is a
    function for reducing the noise in the picture when using high ISO's
    like 800 or 1600. the dust remover is another thing all together - do
    not confuse the two.

    B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
    If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
    nesredep egrob, Apr 8, 2005
  8. Fr@nk

    Steve Green Guest

    wrote:
    >I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
    >full size sensor.
    >Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
    >Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

    Here's a review of the Rebel XT--it contains a direct comparison with
    the E300. Pay close attention to page 19. The Oly has LOTS more
    noise at ISOs above 400.

    It's too bad--I had high hopes for the E-series Olys, as they handled
    so nicely. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and
    over--noisy sensors, slow autofocus (slow operation in general), and
    overpriced accessories.

    Steve Green
    Steve Green, Apr 10, 2005
  9. Fr@nk

    Keith Guest

    Steve Green <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:11:22 +0200, "Fr@nk" <>
    > wrote:
    > >I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
    > >full size sensor.
    > >Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
    > >Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

    > Here's a review of the Rebel XT--it contains a direct comparison with
    > the E300. Pay close attention to page 19. The Oly has LOTS more
    > noise at ISOs above 400.
    >
    > It's too bad--I had high hopes for the E-series Olys, as they handled
    > so nicely. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and
    > over--noisy sensors, slow autofocus (slow operation in general), and
    > overpriced accessories.
    >

    > Steve Green

    Some peoples mistakes are others design features... knowing about these
    issues I still bought an Olympus DSLR - I prefer the tonal range, OK
    forget that, I just prrefer the photos I was able to take with the Oly
    compared to other choices, I am very happy with what it can do, high ISO
    perfomance is not an issue for me, I hardly ever go above ISO 100, it
    might be for you of course!

    Autofocus is fine with the latest firmware fix, though I never had a
    problem before. Not sure about the overpriceed accessories though, the
    ones I have purchased seem very high quality and provide good VFM.

    You do seem to have a lot of knowledge about a camera you don't care
    much about - how many photos have to taken with it? I must confess I
    know nothing about the other makes, never really read the reviews, etc.
    Too busy taking photos and other things!! Life is too short to worry
    about these things...

    Happy shooting.
    Keith, Apr 10, 2005
  10. On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:26:19 -0700, Steve Green
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:11:22 +0200, "Fr@nk" <>
    >wrote:
    >>I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
    >>full size sensor.
    >>Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
    >>Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

    >Here's a review of the Rebel XT--it contains a direct comparison with
    >the E300. Pay close attention to page 19. The Oly has LOTS more
    >noise at ISOs above 400.
    >
    >It's too bad--I had high hopes for the E-series Olys, as they handled
    >so nicely. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and
    >over--noisy sensors, slow autofocus (slow operation in general), and
    >overpriced accessories.
    >

    >Steve Green

    Your statement about the 'slow autofocus' put the whole of your
    argument in doubt - what are you talking about - autofocus on the E300
    is unbelieveable fast and focus in total darkness assisted by the
    flash is instantaneous.

    Borge, Perth
    Pentium P4 2.4Ghz, 1 Gb memory, 600 GB space
    Olympus 2100UZ, Pentax Optio S, Canon S1+ Olympus E300.
    nesredep egrob, Apr 11, 2005
  11. Fr@nk

    SamSez Guest

    "nesredep egrob" <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:26:19 -0700, Steve Green
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:11:22 +0200, "Fr@nk" <>
    > >wrote:
    > >>I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
    > >>full size sensor.
    > >>Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
    > >>Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

    > >Here's a review of the Rebel XT--it contains a direct comparison with
    > >the E300. Pay close attention to page 19. The Oly has LOTS more
    > >noise at ISOs above 400.
    > >
    > >It's too bad--I had high hopes for the E-series Olys, as they handled
    > >so nicely. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and
    > >over--noisy sensors, slow autofocus (slow operation in general), and
    > >overpriced accessories.
    > >

    > >Steve Green

    > Your statement about the 'slow autofocus' put the whole of your
    > argument in doubt - what are you talking about - autofocus on the E300
    > is unbelieveable fast and focus in total darkness assisted by the
    > flash is instantaneous.
    >
    > Borge, Perth
    > Pentium P4 2.4Ghz, 1 Gb memory, 600 GB space
    > Olympus 2100UZ, Pentax Optio S, Canon S1+ Olympus E300.

    Probably thinking about the E10 or E20 where you can go to lunch waiting for it
    to focus.

    Or maybe it was that very special 'go to lunch' wait while the 10 or 20 wrote to
    the memory card?

    Based on those $$$ down the drain [not to mention the two E20's I had overhauled
    for pixels that had died and couldn't be mapped, or both a P-400 and a P-440
    printer that each developed a single bad spot on the thermal element (resulting
    in a nice white line down the whole page, with oly not willing to replace the
    wasted supplies despite the failure on the 440 being under the first four months
    of the warranty)], it would take a whole lot to even get me to look at another
    oly anything -- even as nice as the ultrasonic dust cleaner looks.
    SamSez, Apr 11, 2005
  12. Fr@nk

    Stacey Guest

    SamSez wrote:

    > Based on those $$$ down the drain [not to mention the two E20's I had
    > overhauled for pixels that had died and couldn't be mapped,

    SO you'd rather send your canon in for mapping rather than click a menu
    item?

    > or both a
    > P-400 and a P-440 printer that each developed a single bad spot on the
    > thermal element

    WOwn I never considered the problems I had with a canon scanner when I
    bought my camera..

    > even as nice
    > as the ultrasonic dust cleaner looks.

    Yea dust looks MUCH better! ;-)

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Apr 11, 2005
  13. Fr@nk

    SamSez Guest

    "Stacey" <> wrote in message
    > SamSez wrote:
    >

    > > Based on those $$$ down the drain [not to mention the two E20's I had
    > > overhauled for pixels that had died and couldn't be mapped,

    > SO you'd rather send your canon in for mapping rather than click a menu
    > item?

    I guess you missed the fact that on both oly e20's, clicking the menu item did
    not work -- or was the language used too challenging?

    > > or both a
    > > P-400 and a P-440 printer that each developed a single bad spot on the
    > > thermal element

    > WOwn I never considered the problems I had with a canon scanner when I
    > bought my camera..

    You don't consider a company's support of their product, or whether their pixel
    mapper worked, important for guiding future purchases -- or do you just burn
    yourself all over again everytime you see fire? Oooh, hot. Surprise. Duh.
    SamSez, Apr 11, 2005
  14. Fr@nk

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <qtk6e.9674$Xm3.7012@trndny01>, SamSez says...

    > Or maybe it was that very special 'go to lunch' wait while the 10 or 20 wrote to
    > the memory card?

    By the way, the E300 can write to the memory card at 9MB/s sustained,
    making the fastest among all DSLRs. No other DSLR comes close.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Apr 11, 2005
  15. Fr@nk

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <qtk6e.9674$Xm3.7012@trndny01>, SamSez says...
    >

    >>Or maybe it was that very special 'go to lunch' wait while the 10 or 20 wrote to
    >>the memory card?

    > By the way, the E300 can write to the memory card at 9MB/s sustained,
    > making the fastest among all DSLRs. No other DSLR comes close.

    Assuming you can find a memory card that will TAKE data that fast. The
    faster they are, the more they cost.

    --
    Ron Hunter
    Ron Hunter, Apr 11, 2005
  16. On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:04:51 -0400, Stacey <> wrote:

    >SamSez wrote:
    >

    >> Based on those $$$ down the drain [not to mention the two E20's I had
    >> overhauled for pixels that had died and couldn't be mapped,

    >SO you'd rather send your canon in for mapping rather than click a menu
    >item?
    >
    >> or both a
    >> P-400 and a P-440 printer that each developed a single bad spot on the
    >> thermal element

    >WOwn I never considered the problems I had with a canon scanner when I
    >bought my camera..
    >

    >> even as nice
    >> as the ultrasonic dust cleaner looks.

    >Yea dust looks MUCH better! ;-)

    Just to say something nice about Olympus, I bought the first 700 that
    came out - there was no IS as I could not afford the 2100 then. There
    was some trouble which I reported. They were interested in my coments
    and send me another 700 for test and yet another.
    In my frustration, I mentioned that I would rather like to pay the
    difference and get the 2100 UZ IS.
    It was sent to me with no demand for the extra money - I am still
    entralled with Olympus and that plus the dust remover settled the
    purchase choice for me.

    Borge - Australia
    nesredep egrob, Apr 11, 2005
  17. Fr@nk

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <2Mp6e.4376$>, Ron Hunter says...

    > >>Or maybe it was that very special 'go to lunch' wait while the 10 or 20 wrote to
    > >>the memory card?

    > > By the way, the E300 can write to the memory card at 9MB/s sustained,
    > > making the fastest among all DSLRs. No other DSLR comes close.

    > Assuming you can find a memory card that will TAKE data that fast. The
    > faster they are, the more they cost.

    The 9MB/s were reported with a Sandisk Ultra III Extreme 1Gb.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Apr 11, 2005
  18. Fr@nk

    Steve Green Guest

    I wrote:

    >> Here's a review of the Rebel XT--it contains a direct comparison with
    >> the E300. Pay close attention to page 19. The Oly has LOTS more
    >> noise at ISOs above 400.
    >>
    >> It's too bad--I had high hopes for the E-series Olys, as they handled
    >> so nicely. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and
    >> over--noisy sensors, slow autofocus (slow operation in general), and
    >> overpriced accessories.

    Keith replied:

    (snip)
    >I am very happy with what it can do, high ISO
    >perfomance is not an issue for me, I hardly ever go above ISO 100, it
    >might be for you of course!

    >Autofocus is fine with the latest firmware fix, though I never had a
    >problem before. Not sure about the overpriceed accessories though, the
    >ones I have purchased seem very high quality and provide good VFM.
    >
    >You do seem to have a lot of knowledge about a camera you don't care
    >much about - how many photos have to taken with it? I must confess I
    >know nothing about the other makes, never really read the reviews, etc.
    >Too busy taking photos and other things!! Life is too short to worry
    >about these things...

    Yes, high ISO performance is an issue for me, as it is for many on
    this forum.

    I was speaking about Oly DSLRs in general. I never claimed to know
    specifics about the Evolt, other than the reviews I've seen. My AF
    speed comment was based upon my trying out the E-1 at a trade show--I
    felt that the AF was very sluggish, although somewhat more accurate
    than the pathetic E-10.

    I do own one of those, and although the ergonomics are great, the slow
    and inaccurate AF, along with the _glacially_ slow write and read
    speeds, made it pretty much unusable in the field. (I'm keeping it
    because it's good for shooting for eBay, with its deep DOF.) Anyway,
    if the Evolt AF is improved from the E-1, that's a step in the right
    direction.

    Nesredep said:
    >Your statement about the 'slow autofocus' put the whole of your
    >argument in doubt - what are you talking about - autofocus on the E300
    >is unbelieveable fast and focus in total darkness assisted by the
    >flash is instantaneous.

    See above.

    As for the accessories, I'm not sure how the pricing goes with the
    Evolt, but $500 for the E-1 battery grip seems a bit high, don't you
    think?

    Again, the Evolt may be great, but I gave up on Oly after their very
    long delays in launching the E-1; then after I saw the crummy AF and
    the ridiculous initiial prices, well, I haven't picked one up since.
    YMMV.

    Steve Green
    Steve Green, Apr 14, 2005
  19. Fr@nk

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Steve Green
    says...

    > I do own one of those, and although the ergonomics are great, the slow
    > and inaccurate AF, along with the _glacially_ slow write and read
    > speeds, made it pretty much unusable in the field. (I'm keeping it
    > because it's good for shooting for eBay, with its deep DOF.) Anyway,
    > if the Evolt AF is improved from the E-1, that's a step in the right
    > direction.

    The E300 is the fastest DSLR currently around for what concerns memory
    card write speeds - 9MB/s sustained.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Apr 15, 2005
  20. Fr@nk

    Stacey Guest

    Steve Green wrote:

    > As for the accessories, I'm not sure how the pricing goes with the
    > Evolt, but $500 for the E-1 battery grip seems a bit high, don't you
    > think?

    I can easily fill up a couple of gig cards on a single charge, can't see any
    reason for most people to even need an extra battery!

    --

    Stacey
    Stacey, Apr 15, 2005