    Media

    Thanks in advance,
    Justin
    Justin Koch, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Justin Koch

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I've done a good bit of homework on this newsgroup and plan to buy
    > either a E10 or E20. I curious what are the obvious tradeoffs between
    > the two?
    >
    > Price
    > Viewfinder
    > Focal Lengths
    > shutter speed
    > image quality
    > Read write speeds
    > LCD
    > Buttons/controls
    > Media
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Justin

    There are only a few advantages of the E20 over the E10:

    * 1 extra megapixel of resolution
    * progressive scan mode for shutter speeds up to 1/18,000 second. This
    is useless because the picture quality at this setting suffers
    considerably.
    * Pixel mapping routine to map out bad pixels. This is available in a
    firmware update for the E10 however so it really isn't an issue.

    The E20 also takes longer to write to the card than the E10 does because
    the files are larger. I got the E20 but if I had it to do over, I would
    probably get the E10 and save some money.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 25, 2003

  3. "Todd Walker" <> wrote:

    > There are only a few advantages of the E20 over the E10:
    >
    > * 1 extra megapixel of resolution

    I'd count this as pretty big. For A4 borderless prints, it can make the
    difference.

    > * progressive scan mode for shutter speeds up to 1/18,000 second. This
    > is useless because the picture quality at this setting suffers
    > considerably.
    > * Pixel mapping routine to map out bad pixels. This is available in a
    > firmware update for the E10 however so it really isn't an issue.
    >
    > The E20 also takes longer to write to the card than the E10 does because
    > the files are larger. I got the E20 but if I had it to do over, I would
    > probably get the E10 and save some money.

    Isn't the noise level in the images much lower in the E20 than the E10? I
    was under the impression that the E20 and F717 at ISO 100 and 400 (80 and
    320) are about as good as consumer cameras get at ISO 100, and noticeably
    better than everything else at ISO 400, but that the E10 is noticeably
    worse.

    (Truth in advertising: I'm prejudiced against the E20 since I see it as a
    sheep (consumer dcam image quality) in wolf's (dSLR) clothes. Most people
    see the lovely viewfinder and solid mechanics as features<g>.)

    David J. Littleboy

    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Justin Koch

    mAX Guest

    > (Truth in advertising: I'm prejudiced against the E20 since I see it as a
    > sheep (consumer dcam image quality) in wolf's (dSLR) clothes. Most people
    > see the lovely viewfinder and solid mechanics as features<g>.)
    >
    > David J. Littleboy
    >
    > Tokyo, Japan

    Mr. Sony speaks.
    mAX, Jul 27, 2003
  5. "mAX" <> wrote in message

    > > (Truth in advertising: I'm prejudiced against the E20 since I see it as

    > > sheep (consumer dcam image quality) in wolf's (dSLR) clothes. Most

    people
    > > see the lovely viewfinder and solid mechanics as features<g>.)
    > >
    > > David J. Littleboy
    > >
    > > Tokyo, Japan

    > Mr. Sony speaks.

    My objection to the E20 is that the extra size and weight doesn't come with
    any improvement in image quality over the Sony. It's the same as an F5 vs.
    an N80. I'd rather have an N80, many people prefer the F5.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jul 28, 2003