    sci fi Guest

    Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses. I'm
    still thinking of the E1. Thanks.
    sci fi, Jun 28, 2004

  2. sci fi

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (sci fi) wrote in
    news::

    > Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses. I'm
    > still thinking of the E1.

    Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
    suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
    will be an adapter.

    Have you seen anything about that?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jun 28, 2004

  3. sci fi <> wrote in

    > Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses. I'm
    > still thinking of the E1. Thanks.

    The E1 uses the 4/3 mount. It has nothing to do
    with the OM cameras. It is meant to be a universal
    mount for a new set of cameras with a shorter
    distance from mount to sensor. The mount is not even
    meant to be Olympus specific.

    For this mount it is very possible to make adapters
    for most lenses, just because of the shorter distance.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Roland Karlsson <> wrote in

    > The E1 uses the 4/3 mount. It has nothing to do
    > with the OM cameras. It is meant to be a universal
    > mount for a new set of cameras with a shorter
    > distance from mount to sensor. The mount is not even
    > meant to be Olympus specific.
    >
    > For this mount it is very possible to make adapters
    > for most lenses, just because of the shorter distance.

    Just to clearify. There is an OM adapter, so you can use
    OM lenses. And if you are an Olympus freak that wants to
    use Olympus gear only, this has some relevance.

    For the rest of us, OM lenses have no more or no less
    significance for an E1 camera than any other brand.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jun 28, 2004
  5. sci fi

    EdO Guest

    EdO, Jun 28, 2004
  6. sci fi

    Tom Scales Guest

    At least in the US, Olympus America provides an OM Mount adapter for the E1
    when you register the camera. For free!

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 28, 2004
  7. Roland Karlsson <> writes:

    > Roland Karlsson <> wrote in
    >
    >> The E1 uses the 4/3 mount. It has nothing to do
    >> with the OM cameras. It is meant to be a universal
    >> mount for a new set of cameras with a shorter
    >> distance from mount to sensor. The mount is not even
    >> meant to be Olympus specific.
    >>
    >> For this mount it is very possible to make adapters
    >> for most lenses, just because of the shorter distance.

    > Just to clearify. There is an OM adapter, so you can use
    > OM lenses. And if you are an Olympus freak that wants to
    > use Olympus gear only, this has some relevance.
    >
    > For the rest of us, OM lenses have no more or no less
    > significance for an E1 camera than any other brand.

    Well...what other brands can you buy just now? I do understand the
    plan/theory, and approve it cautiously (it'll depend on how it's
    implemented really, like most plans).
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 28, 2004
  8. sci fi

    Steven Wandy Guest

    > Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
    > suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
    > will be an adapter.

    Olympus sent registered owners who requested the adapter one. I got one and
    have been using an 50 MM Macro 3.5 lens with it. Nice results.
    Steven Wandy, Jun 29, 2004
  9. sci fi

    DonB Guest

    Do the pre-autofocus zuiko lenses fit?
    DonB

    DonB, Jun 29, 2004
  10. sci fi

    Tom Scales Guest

    Yes, in fact I don't think the AF Zuikos do.

    Stop down metering though.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 29, 2004
  11. sci fi

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Steven Wandy) wrote in

    >> Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
    >> suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
    >> will be an adapter.

    > Olympus sent registered owners who requested the adapter one. I got
    > one and have been using an 50 MM Macro 3.5 lens with it. Nice
    > results.

    Well, that's neat. Does it appear that the adapter will fit OM lenses
    to any 4/3 mount (when others exist), or is it somehow Olympus
    specific?

    I have a closet-full of OM lenses, and while the E1 isn't of interest
    to me, future 4/3 cameras might be.

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
    Bert Hyman, Jun 29, 2004
  12. "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > (sci fi) wrote in
    >
    > > Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses. I'm
    > > still thinking of the E1.

    > Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
    > suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
    > will be an adapter.
    >
    > Have you seen anything about that?

    I'm with you. Everything I've read in magazine reviews or advertisements I
    can remember said you have to use their new lenses. So last year when I made
    my lists of possibilities for my first DSLR purchase I ruled out Olympus due
    to the fact I couldn't buy used glass (new stuff being out of my immediate
    reach). I'd say the marketing department screwed up this one.
    this old user, Jun 29, 2004
  13. David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote in news:-b.net:

    > Well...what other brands can you buy just now?

    I don't really know - Pentax I think I have read somewhere.

    But that was not my point. My point was (maybe faulty in this case
    I must admit) that too many think that if you have old lenses of
    brand X, then it is very interesting to get a modern camera of
    brand X that takes the old lenses, even though the mounts are
    totally different. It would probably work just as well with a
    camera of brand Y.

    > I do understand the
    > plan/theory, and approve it cautiously (it'll depend on how it's
    > implemented really, like most plans).

    Same here.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jun 29, 2004
  14. "this old user" <> wrote in

    > I'm with you. Everything I've read in magazine reviews or
    > advertisements I can remember said you have to use their new lenses.
    > So last year when I made my lists of possibilities for my first DSLR
    > purchase I ruled out Olympus due to the fact I couldn't buy used glass
    > (new stuff being out of my immediate reach). I'd say the marketing
    > department screwed up this one.

    It is a matter what you mean by "using the old lenses". What kind
    of functions do you get with the adapter?

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Jun 29, 2004
  15. sci fi

    Lourens Smak Guest

    In article <RVgEc.19549$>,
    "this old user" <> wrote:

    > "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > > (sci fi) wrote in
    > >
    > > > Any one have any experience with the new E1 and old OM lenses. I'm
    > > > still thinking of the E1.

    > > Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
    > > suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
    > > will be an adapter.
    > >
    > > Have you seen anything about that?

    > I'm with you. Everything I've read in magazine reviews or advertisements I
    > can remember said you have to use their new lenses. So last year when I made
    > my lists of possibilities for my first DSLR purchase I ruled out Olympus due
    > to the fact I couldn't buy used glass (new stuff being out of my immediate
    > reach). I'd say the marketing department screwed up this one.

    I doubt if the marketing-department cares much about people who buy only
    used equipment...
    ;-)
    Lourens
    Lourens Smak, Jun 29, 2004
  16. "Lourens Smak" <> wrote in message
    > In article <RVgEc.19549$>,
    > "this old user" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message
    > > > (sci fi) wrote in

    > > > Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
    > > > suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
    > > > will be an adapter.
    > > >
    > > > Have you seen anything about that?

    > > I'm with you. Everything I've read in magazine reviews or advertisements

    > > can remember said you have to use their new lenses. So last year when I

    made
    > > my lists of possibilities for my first DSLR purchase I ruled out Olympus

    due
    > > to the fact I couldn't buy used glass (new stuff being out of my

    immediate
    > > reach). I'd say the marketing department screwed up this one.

    > I doubt if the marketing-department cares much about people who buy only
    > used equipment...

    I can tell you one big reason I went the Canon route was because they said
    their DSLR's were 'compatible with over 50 EF lenses'. From the Oly reviews
    I saw you had a choice like five compatible lenses. It didn't take me very
    long to browse ebay for these so-called EF lenses and figure out this would
    be a good way to go. I bought my first, a 70-200mm f/4 L off Ebay for $500.
    I looked at the prices on BH Photo for the Oly lenses and said no effing
    way. And the Canon had the better sensor, so said all the reviews.
    this old user, Jun 29, 2004
  17. sci fi

    sci fi Guest

    Have a 8 OM lenses and Macrophoto group. Mostly interested in using
    it with the macrophoto group.

    sci fi, Jun 30, 2004
  18. sci fi

    Ton Maas Guest

    this old user <> wrote:

    > > Not that I've been looking for it, I haven't seen anything that
    > > suggests OM lenses will fit the 4/3 mount on the E1, or that there
    > > will be an adapter.
    > >
    > > Have you seen anything about that?

    > I'm with you. Everything I've read in magazine reviews or advertisements I
    > can remember said you have to use their new lenses. So last year when I made
    > my lists of possibilities for my first DSLR purchase I ruled out Olympus due
    > to the fact I couldn't buy used glass (new stuff being out of my immediate
    > reach). I'd say the marketing department screwed up this one.

    It seems Olympus has maneuvred themselves in some sort of double bind
    here. Since they want to present the E-1 (Four Thirds format) as a
    totally new concept which requires "telecentric" lens designs, they
    can't very well publicly state that the older OM-glass can be used with
    great results as well. OTOH many devoted OM-users instist on having an
    adapter to fit their glass on the new E-1. Instead of publicizing its
    existence - and offering it for sale - they are now handing out those
    adapters "under the counter". Seems a little strange, maybe, but it's
    all part of their marketing strategy somehow :)

    Ton
    Ton Maas, Jun 30, 2004
  19. sci fi

    Clyde Guest

    this old user wrote:

    > "Lourens Smak" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <RVgEc.19549$>,
    >> "this old user" <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Bert Hyman" <> wrote in message

    >>>I'm with you. Everything I've read in magazine reviews or advertisements

    >>>can remember said you have to use their new lenses. So last year when I

    > made
    >
    >>>my lists of possibilities for my first DSLR purchase I ruled out Olympus

    > due
    >
    >>>to the fact I couldn't buy used glass (new stuff being out of my

    > immediate
    >
    >>>reach). I'd say the marketing department screwed up this one.

    >>I doubt if the marketing-department cares much about people who buy only
    >>used equipment...

    > I can tell you one big reason I went the Canon route was because they said
    > their DSLR's were 'compatible with over 50 EF lenses'. From the Oly reviews
    > I saw you had a choice like five compatible lenses. It didn't take me very
    > long to browse ebay for these so-called EF lenses and figure out this would
    > be a good way to go. I bought my first, a 70-200mm f/4 L off Ebay for $500.
    > I looked at the prices on BH Photo for the Oly lenses and said no effing
    > way. And the Canon had the better sensor, so said all the reviews.

    And how many of those 50 lens do you use? How many do you really need?
    How many are you planning to buy?

    I used Canon for almost 30 years with that argument being an important
    one. However, I never had more than 4 Canon lens. Once I figured out
    what kind of photography I like and was good at, I had a very narrow
    list of lenses that I needed.

    That's why the current E-1 lenses are more than enough for me. I haven't
    bought yet, but will start out with the 11-54. The 50-200 is longer than
    I really need, but will probably be my only other lens. If they come out
    with a ultra-wide prime, I might be able to use it, but that 11-22 might
    be nice.

    Clyde
    Clyde, Jun 30, 2004
  20. sci fi

    Tom Scales Guest

    There is no bigger owner of OM glass (and bodies) around and I couldn't live
    with stop down metering. I found the E-1 to be limiting and am the happy
    owner of a Nikon D70 and D100 and appropriate glass.

    The 11-54 wasn't quite wide enough for me (22 equivalent). The Nikon 12-24
    is (18 equivalent).
    <snip>

    Tom Scales, Jun 30, 2004