Olympus E1 samples at DPR

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Todd Walker, Aug 11, 2003.

  1. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    Todd Walker, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Todd Walker <> wrote in news:MPG.19a17a18b6ad0a798a3f5
    @news-server.jam.rr.com:

    > Those of you who have been waiting to see them can go ahead and order
    > your 10D/D100/S2 now.

    :)

    It sure looks that way - if the E1 is not defective or
    Phil has made some mistakes. Those pictures does not look
    stunning and the noise test is not good.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 11, 2003

  3. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <Xns93D4BE1AF5F9Drolandkarlssonchello@130.133.1.4>,
    says...
    > It sure looks that way - if the E1 is not defective or
    > Phil has made some mistakes. Those pictures does not look
    > stunning and the noise test is not good.
    >

    > Roland

    The results are no better than I got with my E20. I for one am glad I
    didn't wait for the E1.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 11, 2003
  4. Todd Walker

    Pat Chaney Guest

    On 11/8/03 5:41 pm, "Roland Karlsson" <>
    wrote:

    > It sure looks that way - if the E1 is not defective or
    > Phil has made some mistakes. Those pictures does not look
    > stunning and the noise test is not good.

    I'm amazed that they left the ISO 3200 mode in the E-1 design with those
    noise levels.

    Pat
    --
    Photos at:
    http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?Format=Cell&AcctID=1251

    Pat Chaney, Aug 13, 2003
  5. Todd Walker

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Mon, 11 Aug 2003
    16:00:37 GMT, Todd Walker <> wrote:

    >Here is a link to Phil Askey's E1 pictures:
    >
    >http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/olympuse1_samples1/
    >
    >Those of you who have been waiting to see them can go ahead and order
    >your 10D/D100/S2 now.

    I'd say that's jumping the gun. From
    <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse1/>:

    IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not a review - I have posted no conclusion and my
    initial findings may change for the final review. Our final review will
    include several more tests and features as well as refined comparisons.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Aug 14, 2003
  6. Pat Chaney <> wrote in news:BB6041AB.3E425%:

    > I'm amazed that they left the ISO 3200 mode in the E-1 design with those
    > noise levels.

    I am amazed that camera manufacturers don't have higher ISOs.
    It is up to the user if he can accept the disco light artefacts
    or not :) ISO 12,800 could look just amazing!

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 14, 2003
  7. John Navas <> wrote in news:8pA_a.11524$dk4.435232
    @typhoon.sonic.net:

    > I'd say that's jumping the gun.

    No - not really. Most people would only buy the E1 if it
    is superior in image quality. If it is not, most people
    will choose another camera IMHO.

    There will always be a (small?) percentage for which the
    E1 (without superior performance) is the right choice,
    technically or emotionally.

    The preview indicate quite clearly that the E1 is not
    superior. It even looks worse, but that may improve.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 14, 2003
  8. Todd Walker

    John Navas Guest

    In <Xns93D7E69AD4278rolandkarlssonchello@130.133.1.4> on 14 Aug 2003 20:40:08
    GMT, Roland Karlsson <> wrote:

    >John Navas <> wrote in news:8pA_a.11524$dk4.435232
    >@typhoon.sonic.net:
    >
    >> I'd say that's jumping the gun.

    >No - not really. Most people would only buy the E1 if it
    >is superior in image quality. If it is not, most people
    >will choose another camera IMHO.

    IMHO there's lots more to a camera system that theoretical image quality.

    >The preview indicate quite clearly that the E1 is not
    >superior. ...

    No "preview" can do that. It's called "preview" for a reason.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Aug 16, 2003
  9. Todd Walker

    Charlie Self Guest

    John Navas writes:

    >No - not really. Most people would only buy the E1 if it
    >>is superior in image quality. If it is not, most people
    >>will choose another camera IMHO.

    >IMHO there's lots more to a camera system that theoretical image quality.
    >
    >>The preview indicate quite clearly that the E1 is not
    >>superior. ...

    >No "preview" can do that. It's called "preview" for a reaso

    I'm slightly surprised that camera makers pass out pre-production samples for
    review sites and magazines. In other fields (primarily woodworking tools) I've
    worked a fair amount with pre-production equipment. It is always far worse than
    what later comes off the production lines. Problems range from weight to
    finish, and naturally operation is not up to par, either. This is not a
    once-in-awhile feature of pre-production equipment. It has, IME, been across
    the board with every such sample I've ever received.

    Charlie Self

    "A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    Dwight D. Eisenhower, Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

    Charlie Self, Aug 16, 2003
  10. leah (Charlie Self) wrote in

    > I'm slightly surprised that camera makers pass out pre-production
    > samples for review sites and magazines.

    The camera was not a pre production, it was an initial producion,
    i.e. one of the first batch that is shipped to customers.

    Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 16, 2003
  11. Todd Walker

    John Navas Guest

    In <Xns93D96FE17E547rolandkarlssonchello@130.133.1.4> on 16 Aug 2003 08:59:51
    GMT, Roland Karlsson <> wrote:

    >John Navas <> wrote in news:3Le%a.12155$dk4.449131
    >@typhoon.sonic.net:
    >
    >> IMHO there's lots more to a camera system that theoretical image quality.

    >True - but the E1 is not part of a camera system yet.
    >It is just one camera and a couple of lenses.

    That's considered a system all by itself, and Four Thirds is more than that in
    any event.

    >In order
    >to make it a camera system it must succeed first, or
    >at least survive.

    I disagree.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas

    John Navas, Aug 20, 2003
  12. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <QKz0b.13075$>, spamfilter0
    @navasgroup.com says...
    > >True - but the E1 is not part of a camera system yet.
    > >It is just one camera and a couple of lenses.

    > That's considered a system all by itself, and Four Thirds is more than that in
    > any event.

    John,

    How can you say that 4/3 is more than that when at this point, that's
    all that is available? Yes in concept it's a "standard" but it's only a
    standard if enough makers get on board and start building products to
    that standard. Any manufacturer can make a proprietary system, offer the
    specs of the system to other makers, and call it a standard. It means
    nothing until it is widely accepted by the industry and I just dont see
    that happening with 4/3...

    --
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Aug 20, 2003