Olympus E-520 autofocus problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Parker, Jul 16, 2008.

  1. Bob Parker

    Bob Parker Guest

    Hi everyone,
    I've never visited this group before but it seemed like a good place
    to find another E-520 owner.
    I had my E-520 for less than a week before I discovered a problem
    with the autofocus when using the 13-42mm kit lens.
    I've taken it to the local Olympus office, and this is the fault
    description I gave them:

    After turning the camera on, it functions quite normally. At
    maximum zoom and in the Single Autofocus mode, it will autofocus on
    anything without a problem.
    However with the 14-42mm lens at maximum zoom, if you attempt to
    autofocus on the sky (not the sun) or something else it can't autofocus
    on and it goes through a full autofocus hunting cycle, from then on at
    maximum zoom it will no longer focus on anything at a distance of more
    than about 100 metres. That distance increases as you reduce the zoom
    level and vice versa.
    Turning the camera off and back on again clears the problem until
    the next time this happens. It makes no difference if the Lens Reset to
    infinity focus at switch-on option is enabled or not.

    After checking it, Olympus agrees that the camera has a problem. My
    suspicion is that it's a firmware issue. If someone else with the same
    camera and lens can tell me if theirs is doing it too, then I'll know
    one way or the other.

    Thanks
    Bob

    Bob Parker, Jul 16, 2008

  2. Bob Parker

    Bob Parker Guest

    On 16/07/2008 17:26 Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article <487d5c2c$0$29832$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    > 01.iinet.net.au>, Bob Parker says...
    >
    >> I've never visited this group before but it seemed like a good place
    >> to find another E-520 owner.

    > You can also try the MyOlympus Yahoo forum (address below).

    Thank you Alfred. I've posted my message there (with a few
    corrections to my original typos).

    Bob

    Bob Parker, Jul 16, 2008

  3. Bob Parker

    Steven Wandy Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:03:03 +1000, Bob Parker
    <> wrote:

    >On 16/07/2008 17:26 Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> In article <487d5c2c$0$29832$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
    >> 01.iinet.net.au>, Bob Parker says...
    >>
    >>> I've never visited this group before but it seemed like a good place
    >>> to find another E-520 owner.

    >> You can also try the MyOlympus Yahoo forum (address below).

    > Thank you Alfred. I've posted my message there (with a few
    >corrections to my original typos).
    >
    >Bob

    There is a "pretty friendly" forum for Olympus DSLRs at
    www.dpreview.com.

    Also try www.fourthirdsphoto.com. VERY friendly forum there.
    Steve

    Steven Wandy, Jul 16, 2008
  4. Bob Parker

    Bob Parker Guest

    On 17/07/2008 00:02 Steven Wandy wrote:

    > There is a "pretty friendly" forum for Olympus DSLRs at
    > www.dpreview.com.
    >
    > Also try www.fourthirdsphoto.com. VERY friendly forum there.
    > Steve

    Thanks a lot Steve. I'll give those forums a try if no-one here can
    let me know if their E-520 does the same thing with the same lens. :)

    Cheers
    Bob

    Bob Parker, Jul 16, 2008
  5. Bob Parker

    Steven Wandy Guest

    BTW - What lens???

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:55:52 +1000, Bob Parker
    <> wrote:

    >On 17/07/2008 00:02 Steven Wandy wrote:
    >>
    >> There is a "pretty friendly" forum for Olympus DSLRs at
    >> www.dpreview.com.
    >>
    >> Also try www.fourthirdsphoto.com. VERY friendly forum there.
    >> Steve

    > Thanks a lot Steve. I'll give those forums a try if no-one here can
    >let me know if their E-520 does the same thing with the same lens. :)
    >
    >Cheers
    >Bob

    Hi Bob,
    I missed the beginning of the thread. What lens and what is the
    problem? (Just asking because I have the E510 and probably picking up
    the E520 this weekend.)
    Steve

    Steven Wandy, Jul 16, 2008
  6. Bob Parker

    Bob Parker Guest

    Re: BTW - What lens???

    On 17/07/2008 06:56 Steven Wandy wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:55:52 +1000, Bob Parker
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 17/07/2008 00:02 Steven Wandy wrote:
    >>> There is a "pretty friendly" forum for Olympus DSLRs at
    >>> www.dpreview.com.
    >>>
    >>> Also try www.fourthirdsphoto.com. VERY friendly forum there.
    >>> Steve

    >> Thanks a lot Steve. I'll give those forums a try if no-one here can
    >> let me know if their E-520 does the same thing with the same lens. :)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Bob

    > Hi Bob,
    > I missed the beginning of the thread. What lens and what is the
    > problem? (Just asking because I have the E510 and probably picking up
    > the E520 this weekend.)
    > Steve

    Hi Steve,
    It's the standard 14-42mm kit lens which most people get. Someone on
    the Yahoo MyOlympus forum has tried to duplicate the problem I've been
    having, and it didn't happen.
    It's looking like I've been 'lucky' and got either a defective lens
    or E-520 body.
    Apart from this minor issue with mine, the E-520 is a very nice
    camera. :)

    Bob

    Bob Parker, Jul 17, 2008