Olympus E-500 or Sony DSC-R1?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jkdrummer@yahoo.com, Oct 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    , Oct 25, 2006

  2. bmoag Guest

    These are very different cameras.
    The Sony is an excellent camera for what it is but it has a fixed lens, EVF,
    slower handling and Sony's particular take on advanced camera controls. The
    EVF can be very frustrating to use under many circumstances but you can get
    used to it. Now that Sony has the Sonalta line I wonder if the DSC-R1 is the
    last of its breed for Sony.
    The Olympus is an excellent camera for what it is but locks you into a
    sensor and system that is less flexible and in the long run, should you
    purchase any additional lenses, more expensive than competing dSLR systems.
    There are realistic concerns about the ability of this product to compete
    with APS-c sensors, but apparently Leicasonic has now joined that group.
    If you want a smaller lighter weight dSLR look into the Pentax line,
    particularly now that antishake has been added. Amazing lens bargains abound
    in the Pentax mount.
    The Sony alpha is also relatively lighter weight, at least compared to a
    Nikon D80, and has image stabilization.
    There are many established internet/mail order vendors who are extremely
    reliable in my experience, to name just 3: Adorama, B&H, Beach Camera.

    bmoag, Oct 25, 2006

  3. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > So I've decided it's either the Sony DSC-R1:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/
    >
    > Or the Olympus Evolt 500: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/
    >
    > But the hardest decision is who I should buy it from - the good guys
    > charge more while the creepy NY dealers charge a lot less. Is there a
    > compromise with dealers?

    I'm currently using the Sony R1. While the camera is ok and the lens is
    good, the R1 is essentially unable to focus in low light. During my
    previous trip to China I had to carry two cameras in my bag: the Sony R1
    for daytime shots and an Olympus 8080 for low light and night shots (the
    8080 has a very sharp lens and focuses well even in almost total
    darkness).

    The main reason to go for an R1 is the live preview. If you don't need
    that you'll be better off with an E500 or the newer E400 which has 10MP.
    I haven't tried an E500 myself but I'm pretty sure that its autofocus is
    better than the one of the R1.

    If you don't need 10MP you could go for an Olympus E330 and have the
    best of both worlds: live preview and interchangeable lenses & good AF.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Oct 25, 2006
  4. <> wrote in message
    > So I've decided it's either the Sony DSC-R1:
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/
    >
    > Or the Olympus Evolt 500: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/
    >
    > But the hardest decision is who I should buy it from - the good guys
    > charge more while the creepy NY dealers charge a lot less. Is there a
    > compromise with dealers?
    >
    > TIA
    > JaKe
    > Seattle

    The creepy NY dealers don't charge less, you'll never get a camera for the
    very low prices they quote unless you buy a lot of over-priced accessories.
    Plus, they're probably selling grey-market cameras that carry no USA
    warranty. Try the good NY dealers like B&H or Adorama.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Oct 25, 2006