    RichA Guest

    Three times I've seen E-3's with the name blacked out in TV shows and
    movies. Odd, how they wouldn't want the name out there.
    RichA, Sep 1, 2010

  2. RichA

    John A. Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 00:10:02 -0700, bobwilliams <>
    wrote:

    >RichA wrote:
    >> Three times I've seen E-3's with the name blacked out in TV shows and
    >> movies. Odd, how they wouldn't want the name out there.

    >Perhaps, the TV producer would have to pay Olympus for using their name.
    >OTOH, maybe the producer tried to get Oly to pay an advertising fee and
    >they refused.

    Generally the product maker pays the show for product placement, not
    the other way around. Shows routinely cover up or replace branding to
    maintain that potential source of revenue.

    Or, in the case of Lost, for narrative purposes.
    John A., Sep 1, 2010

  3. RichA

    Peter Guest

    "bobwilliams" <> wrote in message
    > RichA wrote:
    >> Three times I've seen E-3's with the name blacked out in TV shows and
    >> movies. Odd, how they wouldn't want the name out there.

    > Perhaps, the TV producer would have to pay Olympus for using their name.
    > OTOH, maybe the producer tried to get Oly to pay an advertising fee and
    > they refused.

    More likely, the latter. Product placement is a big business.

    --
    Peter
    Peter, Sep 2, 2010
  4. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    RichA wrote:

    > Three times I've seen E-3's with the name blacked out in TV shows and
    > movies. Odd, how they wouldn't want the name out there.

    Do you think that Olympus is a major TV sponsor, nowadays? Hell, the
    struggling outfit is just trying to >survive<!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Sep 6, 2010
  5. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:

    > In article <>, John Turco says...
    >
    > > Do you think that Olympus is a major TV sponsor, nowadays? Hell, the
    > > struggling outfit is just trying to >survive<!

    > They seem to be doing quite well, especially with their micro 4/3 line
    > of cameras...

    In the current DSLR marketplace, Olympus is far closer to Pentax, than
    it is, to either Canon or Nikon.

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>