Olympus digicam losing date/time settings again and again

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TommyC, May 31, 2004.

  1. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    My Olympus c720, a bit over a year old, works great and takes wonderful
    pictures. But I have a huge issue with the way it keeps semirandomly
    losing the date and time settings.

    I have two sets of four NiMH batteries for the camera. I get, safely,
    around 300 shots per set, if used within a month. I am guessing that
    both sets have been through about 10 charging/use cycles.

    Again and again, I'll put a fresh set into the camera, take pictures,
    then all of a sudden, flip the camera on and it's 01/01/2002 at
    midnight. The date has reset. It happened today taking pictures at a
    Memorial Day parade. 15 pictures, all fine, turned camera off, turned
    camera on a couple minutes later, and date reset. None of my other
    settings change on the camera, just the date.

    This may be related to another issue I have with the camera. Often,
    even with a freshly-charged set of batteries, it won't turn on until I
    open the battery compartment, dump the batteries out, rearrange them
    (although they were aligned right in the first place), and close it back
    up.

    In several online forums (this newsgroup, the dpreview forums, more),
    I've heard of others having this problem, not just with Olympus, and the
    supposed fix is to clean the contacts in the camera and clean the
    batteries before inserting. I've done that to the best of my ablity and
    it's not working.

    What is a recommended good and thorough way to clean the batteries and
    contacts, and how often should I do it?

    What other steps might I take to remedy this? I'd hate to be without
    the camera for as long as a servicing would take, especially since it
    seems to perform well in every other way.

    TommyC, May 31, 2004

  2. TommyC

    Pete Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 15:39:44 GMT, TommyC wrote:

    > My Olympus c720, a bit over a year old, works great and takes wonderful
    > pictures. But I have a huge issue with the way it keeps semirandomly
    > losing the date and time settings.
    >
    > I have two sets of four NiMH batteries for the camera. I get, safely,
    > around 300 shots per set, if used within a month. I am guessing that
    > both sets have been through about 10 charging/use cycles.
    >
    > Again and again, I'll put a fresh set into the camera, take pictures,
    > then all of a sudden, flip the camera on and it's 01/01/2002 at
    > midnight. The date has reset. It happened today taking pictures at a
    > Memorial Day parade. 15 pictures, all fine, turned camera off, turned
    > camera on a couple minutes later, and date reset. None of my other
    > settings change on the camera, just the date.
    >
    > This may be related to another issue I have with the camera. Often,
    > even with a freshly-charged set of batteries, it won't turn on until I
    > open the battery compartment, dump the batteries out, rearrange them
    > (although they were aligned right in the first place), and close it back
    > up.
    >
    > In several online forums (this newsgroup, the dpreview forums, more),
    > I've heard of others having this problem, not just with Olympus, and the
    > supposed fix is to clean the contacts in the camera and clean the
    > batteries before inserting. I've done that to the best of my ablity and
    > it's not working.
    >
    > What is a recommended good and thorough way to clean the batteries and
    > contacts, and how often should I do it?
    >
    > What other steps might I take to remedy this? I'd hate to be without
    > the camera for as long as a servicing would take, especially since it
    > seems to perform well in every other way.

    My C720 does exactly the same thing, as well as locking up (crashing)
    occasionally. Very annoying.

    Pete

    Pete, May 31, 2004

  3. << My Olympus c720, a bit over a year old, works great and takes wonderful
    pictures. But I have a huge issue with the way it keeps semirandomly
    losing the date and time settings. >>

    TommyC-

    The problem you describe sounds like an internal loose connection, and you are
    not likely to fix it without disassembling the camera. Even if you could, it
    might be caused by an intermittent electronic component.

    Have you wiped the camera's contacts and the battery ends? Normally spring
    pressure will enable the contacts to penetrate a thin film of skin oil. Could
    the camera's spring contacts have been compressed? Could some of your
    batteries be binding with the walls of their compartment, not allowing the
    lower contact to touch?

    Barring a simple fix like stretching the camera's spring contacts or finding
    internal loose connections in both sets of batteries (it does happen!), you
    should prepare to be without your camera for a couple of months.

    Since it is just out of warranty, you might contact Olympus and see if they
    would be receptive to a compromise where you could trade your camera for a good
    price on a reconditioned C720.

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, May 31, 2004
  4. TommyC

    Bill Crocker Guest

    Not sure about the Olympus, but some cameras, in addition to the regular
    batteries that power the camera, have a small button cell, to maintain
    settings.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, May 31, 2004
  5. TommyC

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Bill Crocker wrote:

    > Not sure about the Olympus, but some cameras, in addition to the regular
    > batteries that power the camera, have a small button cell, to maintain
    > settings.
    >
    > Bill Crocker

    Hi...

    Not Oly's; they'll hold their setting for about
    a half hour without batteries installed.

    I'd suggest gently rubbing the battery contacts in
    the camera with the eraser end of a new pencil...

    Once in a while do the same with the batteries
    themselves.

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, May 31, 2004
  6. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    In article <1hKuc.634164$Ig.370173@pd7tw2no>,
    Ken Weitzel <> wrote:

    > Bill Crocker wrote:
    >
    > > Not sure about the Olympus, but some cameras, in addition to the regular
    > > batteries that power the camera, have a small button cell, to maintain
    > > settings.
    > >
    > > Bill Crocker
    > >

    > Hi...
    >
    > Not Oly's; they'll hold their setting for about
    > a half hour without batteries installed.
    >
    > I'd suggest gently rubbing the battery contacts in
    > the camera with the eraser end of a new pencil...
    >
    > Once in a while do the same with the batteries
    > themselves.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    I gave the contacts and the battery ends a good rubbing. Since the
    problem has never appeared predictably, it will be a challenge to figure
    out when it will next occur. I guess if I can go a couple of months
    okay, I'm set.

    Am I supposed to do the pencil rubbing of the contacts every time I
    change the batteries?

    TommyC, May 31, 2004
  7. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    In article <>,
    (Fred McKenzie) wrote:

    > << My Olympus c720, a bit over a year old, works great and takes wonderful
    > pictures. But I have a huge issue with the way it keeps semirandomly
    > losing the date and time settings. >>
    >
    > TommyC-
    >

    > Barring a simple fix like stretching the camera's spring contacts or finding
    > internal loose connections in both sets of batteries (it does happen!), you
    > should prepare to be without your camera for a couple of months.

    The spring contacts within the battery compartment are deep within the
    camera - well, as deep as the length of a battery is anyway. So I'm not
    sure how to stretch them without doing unwanted damage to the camera.

    TommyC, May 31, 2004
  8. TommyC

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    TommyC wrote:
    > In article <1hKuc.634164$Ig.370173@pd7tw2no>,
    > Ken Weitzel <> wrote:
    >

    >>Bill Crocker wrote:
    >>

    >>>Not sure about the Olympus, but some cameras, in addition to the regular
    >>>batteries that power the camera, have a small button cell, to maintain
    >>>settings.
    >>>
    >>>Bill Crocker
    >>>

    >>Hi...
    >>
    >>Not Oly's; they'll hold their setting for about
    >>a half hour without batteries installed.
    >>
    >>I'd suggest gently rubbing the battery contacts in
    >>the camera with the eraser end of a new pencil...
    >>
    >>Once in a while do the same with the batteries
    >>themselves.
    >>
    >>Take care.
    >>
    >>Ken
    >>

    > I gave the contacts and the battery ends a good rubbing. Since the
    > problem has never appeared predictably, it will be a challenge to figure
    > out when it will next occur. I guess if I can go a couple of months
    > okay, I'm set.
    >
    > Am I supposed to do the pencil rubbing of the contacts every time I
    > change the batteries?

    Hi...

    Nope, the contacts inside the camera should remain good
    for a long time... they're pretty well left untouched.

    It's kinda gotten to be a habit with me to gently swipe
    the ends of the batteries themselves on my pants leg or
    cuff of my sleeve once in a while when they're being
    changed, though :)

    Hope it works for you, good luck

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, May 31, 2004