    can avoid it.

    Any hints or ideas welcome. I suspect sending the camera in to get
    repaired would cost as much as a new camera.

    Bob, Jul 28, 2003

  2. My son got a free D-600L which would not power up with internal
    batteries. It does work fine with a 7.2 camcorder battery plugged
    into the DC port. He rigged a plug and battery holder which attaches
    to the bottom of the camera.

    Powell

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:39:20 -0400, Bob <>
    wrote:

    >My camera has been running fine for several years, still using the
    >original NiH batteries, then it seemed the batteries were not lasting
    >as long as before, cause the camera was telling me the battery
    >strength was low too often. I've been putting in regular alkaline,
    >sometimes they last for 20 or 30 shots, sometimes they die after less
    >than 10. I tried a new set of NiH, no success.
    >
    >It seems either the camera is discharging the batteries too fast, or
    >misreading the battery strength. Other than that the camera still
    >works perfectly. I don't want to replace the camera at this point if I
    >can avoid it.
    >
    >Any hints or ideas welcome. I suspect sending the camera in to get
    >repaired would cost as much as a new camera.

    Powell Hargrave, Nanaimo, B.C. Canada -
    Digital Photography Page http://members.shaw.ca/hargravep
    ****** Remove NOSPAM to Reply ******

    Powell Hargrave, Jul 28, 2003

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 16:29:56 GMT, Powell Hargrave
    <> wrote:

    >My son got a free D-600L which would not power up with internal
    >batteries. It does work fine with a 7.2 camcorder battery plugged
    >into the DC port. He rigged a plug and battery holder which attaches
    >to the bottom of the camera.

    I was thinking of that, and have been looking around for some kind of
    external battery pack at my local photo stores.

    I also spent an hour last night, testing batteries in a tester and
    then using them in the camera. All the battereies tested 100%, but
    sometimes the camera would fail to come on at all, sometimes, it came
    on with a battery low warning. I eventually found that three NiMh and
    one regular alkaline worked ok ?!?!?! Using the fourth NiMh fails, and
    it tested low.

    Later on I found I also found
    http://www.theorganizers.nl/reports/cameras.shtml

    "Digital cameras have special needs, current-wise, which is why only
    the freshest batteries will work. The batteries which test OK in a
    battery tester are OK, just not for your camera. They simply can't
    supply the high current level needed by the D600L."

    I did some further testing with a voltmeter on my recharger, and I
    suspect the recharger was not fully charging and that my camera is
    too fussy to use alkalines. I purchased a new charger an hour ago, and
    will see if that works. Otherwise, I'll try the external battery pack
    idea.

    P.S.
    I've just tried the 4th NiMh after sitting in the charger for an hour,
    and the battery now comes on with the NiMh - mayne I solved it.

    Bob, Jul 28, 2003