    I would highly appreciate any hints on what could be wrong here. If you
    know of any other sources of information, please let me know also.

    Thanks.

    samir, Nov 10, 2006

  2. samir

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    samir wrote:
    > I had the strangest problem last week. I took a few pictures with my
    > 4-year old Olympus D-520 camera and everything was fine.
    >
    > Then, all of a sudden, when I tried to take a picture, three small
    > firecracker-like cracks were heard from within the camera. I tried to
    > click a picture again, and the same thing happened. The picture did not
    > get shot the second time round. No cracking sounds and no pictures
    > either since then.
    >
    > Everything else seems fine - the camera lens pops in and out nicely,
    > the viewfinder screen shows the scene, the zoom mechanism works, and
    > the camera syncs with the computer just fine.
    >
    > I would highly appreciate any hints on what could be wrong here. If you
    > know of any other sources of information, please let me know also.

    Hi...

    "Firecracker-like" sounds are probably high voltage arcing...
    and a sequence of three like the pre-flash and flash

    The camera will almost certainly be not worth repair, but
    wonder if you couldn't continue to use it as an outdoor only
    point and shoot if you turned off the flash

    Just a thought...

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Nov 10, 2006

  3. samir

    Stujoe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I had the strangest problem last week. I took a few pictures with my
    > 4-year old Olympus D-520 camera and everything was fine.
    >
    > Then, all of a sudden, when I tried to take a picture, three small
    > firecracker-like cracks were heard from within the camera. I tried to
    > click a picture again, and the same thing happened. The picture did not
    > get shot the second time round. No cracking sounds and no pictures
    > either since then.
    >
    > Everything else seems fine - the camera lens pops in and out nicely,
    > the viewfinder screen shows the scene, the zoom mechanism works, and
    > the camera syncs with the computer just fine.
    >
    > I would highly appreciate any hints on what could be wrong here. If you
    > know of any other sources of information, please let me know also.

    My best guess would be that it would probably require a board
    replacement or similar internal replacement. Probably not cost effective
    considering the age of the camera unless you are of the fix it type and
    could get a brrken one off ebay or somewhere for parts at a very low
    price.

    --
    Stujoe
    http://www.DigitalPhotoPeople.com

    Stujoe, Nov 10, 2006
  4. samir

    Rich Guest

    samir wrote:
    > I had the strangest problem last week. I took a few pictures with my
    > 4-year old Olympus D-520 camera and everything was fine.
    >
    > Then, all of a sudden, when I tried to take a picture, three small
    > firecracker-like cracks were heard from within the camera. I tried to
    > click a picture again, and the same thing happened. The picture did not
    > get shot the second time round. No cracking sounds and no pictures
    > either since then.
    >
    > Everything else seems fine - the camera lens pops in and out nicely,
    > the viewfinder screen shows the scene, the zoom mechanism works, and
    > the camera syncs with the computer just fine.
    >
    > I would highly appreciate any hints on what could be wrong here. If you
    > know of any other sources of information, please let me know also.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Chances are some capacitors or diodes blew themselves up. Bye, bye
    camera.
    Olympus will probably nail you with a $200 repair bill.

    Rich, Nov 10, 2006