    Any shared experience will be appreciated.
    Gen

    , Jan 21, 2005

  2. S Lee Guest

    choreographed a chorus line of high-kicking electrons
    to spell out:

    > Hi guys!
    > I own Olympus D-340R 1.3 Mpx for over 2 years now. Was always happy
    > with it untill recently made a mistake inserting fresh batteries-put
    > them in a wrong way, with wrong polarity... discovered mistake
    > immediately (Yeh, cam did not go "click" as usual...) camera is dead
    > since... Does anyone know if there is any RESET button or combination
    > of buttons that will revive camera?
    > I have my doubts that Oly could not foresee such possibility and create
    > a fuse or some safety point.
    > Tech support suggested that I pack it and send to them for diagnostics
    > and repairs quote, which, I suspect, will be substantial.
    > Any shared experience will be appreciated.

    I'd say you were lucky... back in 2000 I had a fairly new C-2000Z in
    which I reversed the batteries (these were NiMHs) when loading them in a
    hurry. Things got very hot and the battery door came off; there was much
    cursing and some smoke. I lucked out when Oly repaired the camera under
    warranty.
    Don't know any button-resets for the 340; it's quite possible that
    there's physical damage in there though. I'm not sure I've ever seen a
    digicam repair quote that was much under $150, which is the bad news...

    --
    __ A L L D O N E! B Y E B Y E!
    (__ * _ _ _ _

    S Lee, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Frank Vuotto Guest

    >> I have my doubts that Oly could not foresee such possibility and create
    >> a fuse or some safety point.

    The prophylactic would cost them maybe $.001.

    Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
    @/

    Frank Vuotto, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Steve Wolfe Guest

    > >> I have my doubts that Oly could not foresee such possibility and create
    > >> a fuse or some safety point.

    > The prophylactic would cost them maybe $.001.

    The "prophylactic" in this case would be a simple diode, and the downside
    of a diode is that there is a forward voltage drop of about 0.1 volt. It
    doesn't sound like much, but when you're dealing with NiCads, where a pair
    of them will be as low as 1.6 volts combined when nearly empty (and less
    when under heavy draw, like a flash charging), every tenth of a volt counts,
    and counts a LOT.

    Of course, that being said, there's no reason for them not to put the
    diode in there anyway. As for the cost, I can't imagine a suitable diode
    costing more than a dime each when purchased in mass - probably a nickel or
    less.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Jan 21, 2005
  5. On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 00:25:52 -0700, Steve Wolfe wrote:

    >> The prophylactic would cost them maybe $.001.

    > The "prophylactic" in this case would be a simple diode, and the downside
    > of a diode is that there is a forward voltage drop of about 0.1 volt. It
    > doesn't sound like much, but when you're dealing with NiCads, where a pair
    > of them will be as low as 1.6 volts combined when nearly empty (and less
    > when under heavy draw, like a flash charging), every tenth of a volt counts,
    > and counts a LOT.
    >
    > Of course, that being said, there's no reason for them not to put the
    > diode in there anyway. As for the cost, I can't imagine a suitable diode
    > costing more than a dime each when purchased in mass - probably a nickel or
    > less.

    Well, there probably _is_ a diode there. The design I speak of uses
    a diode installed _backwards_ across the battery. Then, when the
    batteries (or mis-selected wall wart) are connected wrong-way 'round,
    the diode presents a short and takes out an in-line fuse -- or, if
    they were really cheap, it burns open the printed circuit trace
    back to the battery connections.

    But, of course, this means a costly -- and often times, problematic --
    trip to a "repair center" by the camera.

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Jan 22, 2005