    cover off and look under it?

    TIA,
    Ron
    Ron, May 16, 2006

  2. Ron

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > I got an old Olympus Camedia D-150 P&S at a yard sale. It seems to work
    > fine but it has a big problem. The lens is supposed to come out
    > automatically and the flash is supposed to pop up when you slide the
    > front cover back; that's "shooting mode." The lens only comes out after
    > many attempts (30-40?) at pulling the cover back and replacing it. The
    > flash pops up a little more often. The lower edge of the cover is
    > cracked. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Perhaps a way to pull the
    > cover off and look under it?
    >
    > TIA,

    Hi Ron...

    Dunno how much help it might be; but about a gazillion years
    ago had a D-220 that did the same thing... but eventually
    reached a point where it wouldn't turn on at all. (it didn't
    have the pop up flash feature)

    Quickly found that repair cost would cost more than it was
    worth, so had a go at it.

    Found that by putting the cover in about the middle of its
    travel, I could work a very small (jewellers) screwdriver
    in the slot at the *bottom* of the cover, and work the
    bottom lip out of its track. From there it was easy to
    completely remove it. Careful, there's a couple of very
    tiny fragile wires in there, so separate the cover and body
    slowly and gently.

    Suggest putting a light towel on the kitchen table, lots of
    light, kids in bed before you start. I vaguely remember a
    ball bearing and a small spring that were anxious to escape :)

    Once apart and in your hand, it should be (was to me) obvious
    how a small lever switch on the body, and a couple of plastic
    tabs on the cover interact, and hopefully how to cure it.

    Good luck, and take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, May 16, 2006

  3. Ron

    Ron Guest

    Ken Weitzel <> wrote:

    > Ron wrote:
    > > I got an old Olympus Camedia D-150 P&S at a yard sale. It seems to work
    > > fine but it has a big problem. The lens is supposed to come out
    > > automatically and the flash is supposed to pop up when you slide the
    > > front cover back; that's "shooting mode." The lens only comes out after
    > > many attempts (30-40?) at pulling the cover back and replacing it. The
    > > flash pops up a little more often. The lower edge of the cover is
    > > cracked. Anyone know of a way to fix this? Perhaps a way to pull the
    > > cover off and look under it?
    > >
    > > TIA,

    > Hi Ron...
    >
    > Dunno how much help it might be; but about a gazillion years
    > ago had a D-220 that did the same thing... but eventually
    > reached a point where it wouldn't turn on at all. (it didn't
    > have the pop up flash feature)
    >
    > Quickly found that repair cost would cost more than it was
    > worth, so had a go at it.
    >
    > Found that by putting the cover in about the middle of its
    > travel, I could work a very small (jewellers) screwdriver
    > in the slot at the *bottom* of the cover, and work the
    > bottom lip out of its track. From there it was easy to
    > completely remove it. Careful, there's a couple of very
    > tiny fragile wires in there, so separate the cover and body
    > slowly and gently.
    >
    > Suggest putting a light towel on the kitchen table, lots of
    > light, kids in bed before you start. I vaguely remember a
    > ball bearing and a small spring that were anxious to escape :)
    >
    > Once apart and in your hand, it should be (was to me) obvious
    > how a small lever switch on the body, and a couple of plastic
    > tabs on the cover interact, and hopefully how to cure it.
    >
    > Good luck, and take care.
    >
    > Ken

    Ken,

    Thanks for the info. I got lucky. The sliding lens cover had a crack. I
    put scotch tape on the crack and now the lens pops out almost every time
    I open the cover.

    Cheers,
    Ron
    Ron, May 20, 2006