    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Lou

    Email:
    Lou Leciejewski, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Lou Leciejewski

    Guest

    Forget the Olympus software (and cable) method. Instead, get an
    inexpensive card reader that stays plugged into your computer all the
    time, comes with any needed software - and lets you read in all the
    photos straight from the card without having to have the digicam's
    batteries charged and the digicam on.

    , Feb 18, 2006

  3. Lou Leciejewski

    fishfry Guest

    In article <Xns976E9019FC224garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44>,
    Lou Leciejewski <> wrote:

    > I have an Olympus D-360L Digital Camera and just tried to import some new
    > pictures to my PC (Windows 98) and the software would not allow me to do
    > the task. I did an uninstall on the Camedia Olympus Software with no
    > problem. I have the original Software Installation Disk and thought I would
    > reinstall the software but when I insert the CD the automatic installation
    > wizard does not open. I then went to see what is on the CD and tried to
    > click on each of the icons to see if that would open the program and it
    > also will not work. Has anyone ever had to do a reinstall of their Olympus
    > D-360L Camedia Software? I tried the tollfree number but they are not
    > online for weekends so I will call Monday. Perhaps I need a fresh
    > installation CD?

    I second the other poster who suggested a USB or FireWire card reader.
    When you put the card in the reader, the card mounts on your desktop and
    looks like a hard drive. Then you just drag the files over onto your
    desktop or into a folder of your choice.

    Now if you're saying that you formerly used to be able to import
    directly from the camera, and now suddenly you can't, maybe the serial
    port on the camera is flaky.
    fishfry, Feb 19, 2006
  4. Lou Leciejewski

    Guest

    Fishfry wrote:
    >Now if you're saying that you formerly used to be >able to import directly from the camera, and now >suddenly you can't, maybe the serial
    >port on the camera is flaky.

    There's a much bigger problem with importing from the digicam. It's
    that many - probably most all - desktops have their ports on their
    BACK, making hooking up the cable damn inconvenient. Only for laptops
    - and even then only for infrequent use - might importing from the
    digicam make sense, but an experiment with a laptop and a PCMCIA
    adapter for a CF card showed that CF cards can much easier be read that
    way.

    , Feb 19, 2006
  5. fishfry <> wrote in

    > In article <Xns976E9019FC224garfieldanetcom@216.168.3.44>,
    > Lou Leciejewski <> wrote:
    >

    > I second the other poster who suggested a USB or FireWire card reader.
    > When you put the card in the reader, the card mounts on your desktop
    > and looks like a hard drive. Then you just drag the files over onto
    > your desktop or into a folder of your choice.
    >
    > Now if you're saying that you formerly used to be able to import
    > directly from the camera, and now suddenly you can't, maybe the serial
    > port on the camera is flaky.

    Thanks all for the advice ... I will check into the card reader after I
    call Olympus Monday and see why when I insert the Olympus software CD it
    won't reinstall on my PC. Something got corrupted in the Olympus software
    an everytime I'd want to open the software program to download pictures
    from the camera to the PC the software would lock up and I'd have to reboot
    the PC so I uninstalled the Olympus software. I think my serial port is ok
    there is something that went amiss with the Olympus software.

    Thanks

    Lou
    Lou Leciejewski, Feb 20, 2006
  6. >>Something got corrupted in the Olympus software
    >>an everytime I'd want to open the software program to download pictures
    >>from the camera to the PC the software would lock up and I'd have to
    >>reboot
    >>the PC so I uninstalled the Olympus software. I think my serial port is ok
    >>there is something that went amiss with the Olympus software.

    I have found Olympus software to be somewhat flakey. Camedia frequently
    crashes on my computer. For that reason, I added Oly camera support to my
    own application. If you want a third option you could try a free download
    of my PhotoMan application from
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sheppard/photoman/home.htm. From the File
    menu, choose Open Olympus Camera and you should get a window of thumbnails
    showing the pictures in your camera. You can then download all or selected
    images to your computer.

    The bad news is that I am reliant on the Olympus drivers to get the
    information out of the camera. Sometimes these can return an error 255 (no
    idea what it's supposed to mean) so I cannot guarantee my application will
    work where camedia is failing. It's worth a try though because it's free.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Feb 20, 2006
  7. "Keith Sheppard" <> wrote in

    >>>Something got corrupted in the Olympus software
    >>>an everytime I'd want to open the software program to download
    >>>pictures from the camera to the PC the software would lock up and I'd
    >>>have to reboot
    >>>the PC so I uninstalled the Olympus software. I think my serial port
    >>>is ok there is something that went amiss with the Olympus software.

    > I have found Olympus software to be somewhat flakey. Camedia
    > frequently crashes on my computer. For that reason, I added Oly
    > camera support to my own application. If you want a third option you
    > could try a free download of my PhotoMan application from
    > http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sheppard/photoman/home.htm. From
    > the File menu, choose Open Olympus Camera and you should get a window
    > of thumbnails showing the pictures in your camera. You can then
    > download all or selected images to your computer.
    >
    > The bad news is that I am reliant on the Olympus drivers to get the
    > information out of the camera. Sometimes these can return an error
    > 255 (no idea what it's supposed to mean) so I cannot guarantee my
    > application will work where camedia is failing. It's worth a try
    > though because it's free.
    >
    > Keith

    Thanks for the reply Keith, I will check your page out. I called olympus
    today and they sai that since I have Windows 98 they have had problems.The
    Customer Service Rep at Olympus had me install the CamMedia CD and click on
    the "SETUP" Icon ... that did nothing so he said that maybe something is
    stuck in the Register and that I should have the Register swept on my PC
    and they try and re-install the CamMedia Software CD. I have swept my PC
    for ADWARE & SPYWARE but never a Register so is there any free Register
    Sweep Software out there that I could try this? Anyone ever have to do
    this? The Olympus Rep said that if I buy a Reader Card and that my PC has
    USB ports I should be able to use the direct method by reading the card
    from the camera directly to the PC BUT... due wo Windows 98 (I have the
    first edition) it MAY not work. ANy other suggestions are welcome... any
    comments?

    Thanks

    Lou

    Email:
    Lou Leciejewski, Feb 22, 2006
  8. Try this

    http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/

    I used to use it....but the real solution is to get a card reader. There was
    an earlier version of cam2pc that did little more than download from the
    camera....that may still be available somewhere as freeware.

    --
    Thanks,
    Gene Palmiter

    Gene Palmiter, Feb 22, 2006
  9. "Gene Palmiter" <> wrote in

    > Try this
    >
    > http://www.nabocorp.com/cam2pc/
    >
    > I used to use it....but the real solution is to get a card reader.
    > There was an earlier version of cam2pc that did little more than
    > download from the camera....that may still be available somewhere as
    > freeware.

    Thanks Gene for the tip ... Yes, there is a cam2pc freeware version
    that I found and downloaded. It looks very similar to the Olympus
    Camedia Software that came with my canera. I will try it soon with the
    Olympus Camera and see what happens.

    Lou
    Lou Leciejewski, Feb 28, 2006