    where is it hiding the pictures on the card?

    FYI I am using WinXP, and I have downloaded the latest drivers and
    utilities.
    MCarter, Sep 3, 2006

  2. MCarter

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    MCarter wrote:
    > Anyone know this camera?
    >
    > I can download pictures to my computer using the serial port, but when
    > I take the card out of the camera and put it into a card reader, I
    > cannot see the pictures.
    >
    > Questions: Does the camera have internal memory of its own? If not
    > where is it hiding the pictures on the card?
    >
    > FYI I am using WinXP, and I have downloaded the latest drivers and
    > utilities.

    Hi MCarter...

    I had one, used it long ago but forgot much... sorry.

    I can tell you that it has no internal memories like the
    newer ones have... (it does naturally have a buffer, but
    no internal storage like you mean)

    The smart media card does indeed have a directory structure;
    you should find a directory named DCIM under the root,
    and under DCIM you should find 100olymp. There is where
    you'll find your pics :)

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Sep 3, 2006

  3. MCarter

    MCarter Guest

    Thanks Ken, you've saved me hours hunting through the manual for
    internal memory.

    But I can't find the directory you mention, or indeed any directory.

    The card works. I copied a sample pic to it. And under properties the
    used space is way more than the sample pic - corresponding with the
    photos that can be viewed through the camera. But I can't see them.

    It is almost as if the camera is using a patent file system. Could
    this be possible, and do you think a Linux boot would help solve the
    mystery?

    MCarter, Sep 3, 2006
  4. MCarter

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    MCarter wrote:
    > Thanks Ken, you've saved me hours hunting through the manual for
    > internal memory.
    >
    > But I can't find the directory you mention, or indeed any directory.
    >
    > The card works. I copied a sample pic to it. And under properties the
    > used space is way more than the sample pic - corresponding with the
    > photos that can be viewed through the camera. But I can't see them.
    >
    > It is almost as if the camera is using a patent file system. Could
    > this be possible, and do you think a Linux boot would help solve the
    > mystery?

    Hi...

    Got me confused, owned almost every Oly they made, many of the
    Fuji's, and all of them have the dcim under the root, with another
    under that specific to the camera maker.

    This tree is created automagically by the camera - even if you
    del the sub's, they come back next time you use it :)

    Wonder if the card reader is reading? After you copied a
    pic to the card, you definitely shouldn't be able to see it
    using the camera lcd, but could you read it back?
    Got a friend or neighbor who might let you visit and put
    your card in their machine?

    Oh, one other thought... you are aware that the max card
    size for your camera is (I forget - either 8 or 16 megs)?
    Definitely no larger. Don't know what the effect of putting
    a larger one in might be, but...

    If you are using/trying to use a larger card, might be
    interesting to see if a neighbor/friend might let you
    borrow a 2/8/16 meg smart media to see what happens.

    One more idea... we still have an old Sandisk sm reader
    connected to an old laptop. Use it for nothing other than
    mass temp storage at the lake. When that laptop was upgraded
    to xp the reader refused to even be recognized, Sandisk
    had no xp compatible driver, but the 2000 driver works fine.
    (xp got upset about the logo thing, but still works fine)

    Can't offer anything about linux; know nothing at all
    about 'nix.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Sep 3, 2006
  5. MCarter

    MCarter Guest

    Hi Ken.

    You are right. The copied pic was not visible in the camera LCD. Only
    the real photos were visible. But when I put the card (which is 16MB
    btw) back in the card reader, only the pic is visible, in the root
    directory, where I put it, and nothing else. No directories or
    anything else.

    Thanks for your help anyway.

    MC

    MCarter, Sep 3, 2006
  6. MCarter wrote:
    > Hi Ken.
    >
    > You are right. The copied pic was not visible in the camera LCD. Only
    > the real photos were visible. But when I put the card (which is 16MB
    > btw) back in the card reader, only the pic is visible, in the root
    > directory, where I put it, and nothing else. No directories or
    > anything else.
    >
    > Thanks for your help anyway.
    >
    > MC
    >
    > Ken Weitzel wrote:
    >> Hi...
    >>
    >> Got me confused, owned almost every Oly they made, many of the
    >> Fuji's, and all of them have the dcim under the root, with another
    >> under that specific to the camera maker.
    >>
    >> This tree is created automagically by the camera - even if you
    >> del the sub's, they come back next time you use it :)
    >>
    >> Wonder if the card reader is reading? After you copied a
    >> pic to the card, you definitely shouldn't be able to see it
    >> using the camera lcd, but could you read it back?
    >> Got a friend or neighbor who might let you visit and put
    >> your card in their machine?
    >>
    >> Oh, one other thought... you are aware that the max card
    >> size for your camera is (I forget - either 8 or 16 megs)?
    >> Definitely no larger. Don't know what the effect of putting
    >> a larger one in might be, but...
    >>
    >> If you are using/trying to use a larger card, might be
    >> interesting to see if a neighbor/friend might let you
    >> borrow a 2/8/16 meg smart media to see what happens.
    >>
    >> One more idea... we still have an old Sandisk sm reader
    >> connected to an old laptop. Use it for nothing other than
    >> mass temp storage at the lake. When that laptop was upgraded
    >> to xp the reader refused to even be recognized, Sandisk
    >> had no xp compatible driver, but the 2000 driver works fine.
    >> (xp got upset about the logo thing, but still works fine)
    >>
    >> Can't offer anything about linux; know nothing at all
    >> about 'nix.
    >>
    >> Take care.
    >>
    >> Ken

    I've got one sitting right in front of me.

    The directory structure is IM01OLYM

    I had a problem sometime back when I formatted the card, out of the
    camera, with the wrong file system. It must be formatted as FAT, not
    FAT32 or anything else.

    The card is 128Meg. Olympus did an upgrade on my camera shortly after I
    got it to allow larger than (I think) 32 Meg.

    Try this -
    Download all of the images from the camera using your serial connection
    so that they don't get lost.

    Reformat the card in the camera - Press Erase (first to right of LCD on
    top) and green LCD Monitor simultaneously with cover closed (power off).
    Press OK (shutter release) to start formatting. After complete,

    After formatting, the card reader should show only the one directory and
    it should be empty.

    Take a picture.

    Remove the card and insert it into your card reader. Make sure the
    reader can handle SmartMedia.

    Yous hould see the directory at the root and the one image file in the
    IM01OLYM directory.

    If that doesn't work, but you can still download pictures from the
    serial connection, it would suggest that the reader is is defective or
    not set up properly but I have never had to do anything with any of the
    readers that I have used.

    --
    The Frosted Flake
    +------------------------ SPAM is for eating ------------------------+
    Frosted Flake, Sep 3, 2006
  7. MCarter

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Frosted Flake wrote:
> [...]

    > so that they don't get lost.
    >
    > Reformat the card in the camera - Press Erase (first to right of LCD on
    > top) and green LCD Monitor simultaneously with cover closed (power off).
    > Press OK (shutter release) to start formatting. After complete,
    >
    > After formatting, the card reader should show only the one directory and
    > it should be empty.
    >
    > Take a picture.
    >
    > Remove the card and insert it into your card reader. Make sure the
    > reader can handle SmartMedia.
    >
    > Yous hould see the directory at the root and the one image file in the
    > IM01OLYM directory.
    >
    > If that doesn't work, but you can still download pictures from the
    > serial connection, it would suggest that the reader is is defective or
    > not set up properly but I have never had to do anything with any of the

    Hi Frosted...

    Think perhaps we're talking about different models here...
    that camera was sold with a max card size of 8 megs, with
    a factory upgrade (for a large fee) to 16 megs...

    Be that as it may, wonder if M's isn't one of the ones that
    was upgraded, and somehow inadvertently ended up with the
    directories being hidden?

    Suggest an experiment, M. Do the same thing any one of
    several different ways...

    Put it in your reader, and do a dir/ah to see what shows up.

    Put it in your reader and do an attrib -r -h -s *.* and see
    what happens.

    Or, from dos just try a cd to both the dir name that
    Frosted suggests, and try a cd to dcim. See what shows up.
    (if dcim shows up, from there try cd 100olymp)

    Just some more thoughts.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Sep 4, 2006
  8. MCarter

    MCarter Guest

    Many thanks Frosted. That was the answer. I saved the photos and
    reformatted the card in the camera as you suggested, and lo and behold
    there was the IM01OLYM directory. I took a couple of pics, and there
    they were in the directory.

    Thanks again Ken for your input. I'll keep the commands in your last
    post on file on file.

    Michael

    MCarter, Sep 4, 2006
  9. Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > Frosted Flake wrote:
    >> MCarter wrote:
    >>> Hi Ken.
    >>>
    >>> You are right. The copied pic was not visible in the camera LCD. Only
    >>> the real photos were visible. But when I put the card (which is 16MB
    >>> btw) back in the card reader, only the pic is visible, in the root
    >>> directory, where I put it, and nothing else. No directories or
    >>> anything else.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help anyway.
    >>>
    >>> MC

    >> I've got one sitting right in front of me.
    >>
    >> The directory structure is IM01OLYM
    >>
    >> I had a problem sometime back when I formatted the card, out of the
    >> camera, with the wrong file system. It must be formatted as FAT, not
    >> FAT32 or anything else.
    >>
    >> The card is 128Meg. Olympus did an upgrade on my camera shortly after
    >> I got it to allow larger than (I think) 32 Meg.
    >>
    >> Try this -
    >> Download all of the images from the camera using your serial
    >> connection so that they don't get lost.
    >>
    >> Reformat the card in the camera - Press Erase (first to right of LCD
    >> on top) and green LCD Monitor simultaneously with cover closed (power
    >> off). Press OK (shutter release) to start formatting. After complete,
    >>
    >> After formatting, the card reader should show only the one directory
    >> and it should be empty.
    >>
    >> Take a picture.
    >>
    >> Remove the card and insert it into your card reader. Make sure the
    >> reader can handle SmartMedia.
    >>
    >> Yous hould see the directory at the root and the one image file in the
    >> IM01OLYM directory.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work, but you can still download pictures from the
    >> serial connection, it would suggest that the reader is is defective or
    >> not set up properly but I have never had to do anything with any of
    >> the readers that I have used.

    > Hi Frosted...
    >
    > Think perhaps we're talking about different models here...
    > that camera was sold with a max card size of 8 megs, with
    > a factory upgrade (for a large fee) to 16 megs...
    >
    > Be that as it may, wonder if M's isn't one of the ones that
    > was upgraded, and somehow inadvertently ended up with the
    > directories being hidden?
    >
    > Suggest an experiment, M. Do the same thing any one of
    > several different ways...
    >
    > Put it in your reader, and do a dir/ah to see what shows up.
    >
    > Put it in your reader and do an attrib -r -h -s *.* and see
    > what happens.
    >
    > Or, from dos just try a cd to both the dir name that
    > Frosted suggests, and try a cd to dcim. See what shows up.
    > (if dcim shows up, from there try cd 100olymp)
    >
    > Just some more thoughts.
    >
    > Take care.
    >
    > Ken

    I don't know - clearly printed on the front of the camera it says
    'D-340R" and on the bottom it says "Model No. D-340R", so I would guess
    that what I have is a D-340R as the o/p was referring to.

    I did send the camera back to Olympus for the memory card upgrade but it
    didn't cost anything (maybe shipping but I really don't think so).

    The original cards were 8 meg (I still have one) but the card currently
    installed is 128 Meg (that's what it says on the card).

    --
    The Frosted Flake
    +------------------------ SPAM is for eating ------------------------+
    Frosted Flake, Sep 4, 2006
  10. MCarter wrote:
    > Many thanks Frosted. That was the answer. I saved the photos and
    > reformatted the card in the camera as you suggested, and lo and behold
    > there was the IM01OLYM directory. I took a couple of pics, and there
    > they were in the directory.
    >
    > Thanks again Ken for your input. I'll keep the commands in your last
    > post on file on file.
    >
    > Michael
    >
    > Frosted Flake wrote:
    >
    >> I've got one sitting right in front of me.
    >>
    >> The directory structure is IM01OLYM
    >>
    >> I had a problem sometime back when I formatted the card, out of the
    >> camera, with the wrong file system. It must be formatted as FAT, not
    >> FAT32 or anything else.
    >>
    >> The card is 128Meg. Olympus did an upgrade on my camera shortly after I
    >> got it to allow larger than (I think) 32 Meg.
    >>
    >> Try this -
    >> Download all of the images from the camera using your serial connection
    >> so that they don't get lost.
    >>
    >> Reformat the card in the camera - Press Erase (first to right of LCD on
    >> top) and green LCD Monitor simultaneously with cover closed (power off).
    >> Press OK (shutter release) to start formatting. After complete,
    >>
    >> After formatting, the card reader should show only the one directory and
    >> it should be empty.
    >>
    >> Take a picture.
    >>
    >> Remove the card and insert it into your card reader. Make sure the
    >> reader can handle SmartMedia.
    >>
    >> Yous hould see the directory at the root and the one image file in the
    >> IM01OLYM directory.
    >>
    >> If that doesn't work, but you can still download pictures from the
    >> serial connection, it would suggest that the reader is is defective or
    >> not set up properly but I have never had to do anything with any of the
    >> readers that I have used.
    >>

    >> --
    >> The Frosted Flake
    >> +------------------------ SPAM is for eating ------------------------+

    Glad I could help.

    With Windows XP, there are two formatting choices for the SmartMedia
    reader - FAT and FAT32. FAT32 allows storage of more, larger files but
    FAT is what the D-340R uses.

    If I format in the reader, I make sure it's FAT.

    If I have problems after that, I format in the camera.

    If that doesn't work, buy new media (if you can find it).

    If that doesn't work, it's a good excuse to buy a different camera (just
    make sure you get one that uses standard AA's - no proprietary
    batteries, if you please).

    --
    The Frosted Flake
    Frosted Flake, Sep 4, 2006