    would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
    zoom? Thanks.

    Ken

    kjk, Dec 30, 2003

  2. kjk

    Pat Durkin Guest

    "kjk" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
    > would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
    > zoom? Thanks.

    I've only owned mine for about a week and haven't had too much time to use
    it or familiarize myself with all the manual controls - however I HAVE made
    a few shots at full extension on full automatic. About half were diamond
    sharp. The rest showed evidence of movement by me. So be careful. Take a
    good deep breath and steady yourself or use a tripod if it's a shot that
    matters.

    Pat

    Pat Durkin, Dec 30, 2003

  3. kjk

    Pat Durkin Guest

    "Pat Durkin" <> wrote in message

    I should have added that the lighting conditions were mostly "cloudy bright"
    or worse.

    Pat

    Pat Durkin, Dec 30, 2003
  4. kjk <> writes:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
    > would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
    > zoom? Thanks.

    The rule of thumb is 1/focal-range, or 1/380 second or faster (ie, on your
    camera, 1/500).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 30, 2003
  5. kjk

    Guest

    In message <-meissners.org>,
    Michael Meissner <> wrote:

    >kjk <> writes:
    >
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
    >> would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
    >> zoom? Thanks.

    >The rule of thumb is 1/focal-range, or 1/380 second or faster (ie, on your
    >camera, 1/500).

    That's for SLRs with mirror-slap and shutter movement, though, isn't it?
    I could handle my Sony F707 with exposures 3x to 6x the "1/fl" rule.
    Can't even come close with my 10D (without IS).
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Dec 31, 2003
  6. writes:

    > In message <-meissners.org>,
    > Michael Meissner <> wrote:
    >
    > >kjk <> writes:
    > >
    > >> Hi Folks,
    > >>
    > >> What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
    > >> would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
    > >> zoom? Thanks.

    > >The rule of thumb is 1/focal-range, or 1/380 second or faster (ie, on your
    > >camera, 1/500).

    > That's for SLRs with mirror-slap and shutter movement, though, isn't it?
    > I could handle my Sony F707 with exposures 3x to 6x the "1/fl" rule.
    > Can't even come close with my 10D (without IS).

    I dunno. I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
    when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
    up. In terms of mirror slap, I've read that generally it is exposures like
    1/30 - 2 seconds that is most affected, while for telephoto lenses, we are
    talking about trying to use a 300mm equivalent lens at 1/60 or so.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 31, 2003
  7. kjk

    Guest

    In message <-meissners.org>,
    Michael Meissner <> wrote:

    >I dunno. I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
    >when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
    >up. In terms of mirror slap, I've read that generally it is exposures like
    >1/30 - 2 seconds that is most affected, while for telephoto lenses, we are
    >talking about trying to use a 300mm equivalent lens at 1/60 or so.

    With my Sony F707, I shot at 190mm-equivalent at 1/60 consistently with
    no visible blur from the camera. 1/30 more spottily, and 1/15 on rare
    occasions. It takes no effort to press the F707 shutter button, and the
    camera has no recoil at all.

    With my 10D, I can barely break the 1/fl figure. Good thing for IS!
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jan 1, 2004
  8. kjk

    kjk Guest

    > I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
    > when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
    > up.

    I was wondering about that. I'm considering buying this camera and I
    was concerned that in Auto mode it would decrease the shutter speed as
    the zoom extended, in order to compensate for the lower level of light
    coming through the lens. That wouldn't be too good. But, in reality,
    the camera is actually smart enough to increase the shutter speed in
    relation to the amount of zoom, in order to compensate for the
    additional image movement at longer focal lengths. Do I understand
    that correctly?

    I also see that it has a camera shake warning, but I don't have any
    detailed info on that. Does it actually sense the image movement, or
    is it just related to the fact that it believes the shutter speed is
    too slow for a sharp image? Maybe you could explain a little bit
    about how that works. Thanks.

    Ken

    ---------------------------------------

    kjk, Jan 1, 2004
  9. kjk <> writes:

    > > I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
    > > when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
    > > up.

    > I was wondering about that. I'm considering buying this camera and I
    > was concerned that in Auto mode it would decrease the shutter speed as
    > the zoom extended, in order to compensate for the lower level of light
    > coming through the lens. That wouldn't be too good. But, in reality,
    > the camera is actually smart enough to increase the shutter speed in
    > relation to the amount of zoom, in order to compensate for the
    > additional image movement at longer focal lengths. Do I understand
    > that correctly?

    Yep. It does this on my C-2100UZ, even though it has image stabalization, and
    could compensate for 1-2 f/stops. I suspect they just reuse a common firmware
    between models.

    The other Olympus quirk I've noticed is as you get more into low light
    situations, the shutter speed will drop down to 1/30 second (for wide angle
    shots) even if the flash is enabled, and then as the light goes even lower, it
    gives up and sets the speed to 1/125. Obviously it is trying to use ambient
    light over the flash, but I would argue that 1/30 is too slow to stop normal
    human motion (at least when I learned photography on a rangefinder, 1/60 was
    the desired minimum speed).

    > I also see that it has a camera shake warning, but I don't have any
    > detailed info on that. Does it actually sense the image movement, or
    > is it just related to the fact that it believes the shutter speed is
    > too slow for a sharp image? Maybe you could explain a little bit
    > about how that works. Thanks.

    I believe it just uses the 1/focal-length rule of thumb (ie, if the shutter
    speed is too slow for the focal length, it puts up the warning light).

    Obviously the camera also doesn't know about any telephoto lenses on the
    camera.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jan 1, 2004
  10. kjk

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    Michael Meissner wrote:
    > kjk <> writes:
    >

    >>>I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
    >>>when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
    >>>up.

    >>I was wondering about that. I'm considering buying this camera and I
    >>was concerned that in Auto mode it would decrease the shutter speed as
    >>the zoom extended, in order to compensate for the lower level of light
    >>coming through the lens. That wouldn't be too good. But, in reality,
    >>the camera is actually smart enough to increase the shutter speed in
    >>relation to the amount of zoom, in order to compensate for the
    >>additional image movement at longer focal lengths. Do I understand
    >>that correctly?

    > Yep. It does this on my C-2100UZ, even though it has image stabalization, and
    > could compensate for 1-2 f/stops. I suspect they just reuse a common firmware
    > between models.
    >
    > The other Olympus quirk I've noticed is as you get more into low light
    > situations, the shutter speed will drop down to 1/30 second (for wide angle
    > shots) even if the flash is enabled, and then as the light goes even lower, it
    > gives up and sets the speed to 1/125. Obviously it is trying to use ambient
    > light over the flash, but I would argue that 1/30 is too slow to stop normal
    > human motion (at least when I learned photography on a rangefinder, 1/60 was
    > the desired minimum speed).
    >

    >>I also see that it has a camera shake warning, but I don't have any
    >>detailed info on that. Does it actually sense the image movement, or
    >>is it just related to the fact that it believes the shutter speed is
    >>too slow for a sharp image? Maybe you could explain a little bit
    >>about how that works. Thanks.

    > I believe it just uses the 1/focal-length rule of thumb (ie, if the shutter
    > speed is too slow for the focal length, it puts up the warning light).
    >
    > Obviously the camera also doesn't know about any telephoto lenses on the
    > camera.

    The camera does indeed know what the zoom is doing :)

    In the fully manual mode, you can force the aperture down
    to 2.8 while zoomed out; as you zoom in the lowest that you
    can select goes up :)

    As for the shake warning, you're right. Just tried it,
    in the dining room. Held the camera in my shaky old hands
    with ambient room lighting, the shake warning appeared.
    Then set it firmly on the table, it did the same :)

    Take care.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Jan 1, 2004
  11. Ken Weitzel <> writes:

    > Michael Meissner wrote:
    > > I believe it just uses the 1/focal-length rule of thumb (ie, if the shutter
    > > speed is too slow for the focal length, it puts up the warning light).
    > > Obviously the camera also doesn't know about any telephoto lenses on the
    > > camera.
    > >

    > The camera does indeed know what the zoom is doing :)

    Maybe I wasn't clear. I meant the camera doesn't know if you use any screw on
    tele-extender lenses, like the TCON-17/WCON-7/B-macro for instance, that
    changes the effective focal length of the lens. It obviously knows about the
    characteristics of the builtin zoom lens.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Jan 1, 2004