    Cannon are likely to be superior. Is this true?

    I'm not sure what to expect from a digital camera in comparison to 35
    mil but if I have a priority it is landscape/lowlight work.

    ooctober4004, Nov 8, 2003

  2. ooctober4004

    Giorgis Guest

    I have and use the 5050. I love it. But I don't know how much help I am
    because I have not used the G5.

    I could point you to

    www.dpreview.com for reviews of said cameras

    and to http://www.molon.de/5050.html

    as well as

    http://www.cliffshade.com/dpfwiw/index.htm
    http://www.naturephotographers.net/dw0502-1.html
    http://wrotniak.com/photo/c5050/index.html
    http://5050.peteryiu.com/
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/c5050.html

    That's enough to keep you researching. If I could advise you of one
    thing, don't spend too much time researching, they are both great from
    what I understand.

    Giorgis

    Giorgis, Nov 9, 2003

  3. "ooctober4004" <> wrote in message
    > I am new to digital photography and have decided to make the jump
    > following the death of my 1960's Minolta rangefinder (Its lens is
    > currently presumed to be focusing on the bottom of a peat bog in North
    > Wales).

    I have never used a Canon but I have the 5050 and it is by far the most
    powerful camera I have ever used. The picture quality is awesome.
    It does everything I want to do (and loads more).

    Axel Van Kampen, Nov 9, 2003
  4. > I have handled both and the Olympus has a better feel to it but I have
    > heard/read comments to the effect that end results obtained from the
    > Cannon are likely to be superior. Is this true?

    Hi, just started to read this group for finding information about 5060..
    Here is couple of points for you choice of camera:

    - 5050 is just being depraceted by 5060, which among other features
    offers 27mm wide angle, although slower (F2.8-4.5) than 5050's or G5's
    lens. Other major claims for 5060 is less chromatic abberation, less
    noise, faster startup and autofocus, lion battery etc.

    - Image quality is quite different; Oly has tighter noise pattern, which
    is stronger but looks like film-grain. At first look Canon seems to have
    less noise, but i prefer the sharper and more film-like look of olympus
    images (Olympus has more sharpening on by default, actual resolution
    difference is probably very small).

    - Olympus seems to have higher build quality than canon. It also has
    direct 40.5 filter thread in the lens, while with Canon, if i'v
    understood correctly, you need to use adapter tube, which costs extra
    and increases size.

    - Most of other major features between 5060 and G5 are quite similar.
    Better check detailed specs yourself if there is anything particular you
    need.

    - 5050 (and hopefully 5060) is usable for infrared photography, while G5
    is not supposed to be very good for this.

    - Some olympus 5060 samples are available at
    http://olympus-imaging.jp/lineup/digicamera/c5060wz/sample/index.html.
    Net is full of Canon samples as it's been around for a while, so i won't
    list them here.

    Hope this helps,

    --
    Henkka Karapuu
    http://www.iki.fi/hkarapuu

    Henkka Karapuu, Nov 9, 2003
  5. ooctober4004

    PhotoMan Guest

    > I am new to digital photography and have decided to make the jump
    > following the death of my 1960's Minolta rangefinder (Its lens is
    > currently presumed to be focusing on the bottom of a peat bog in North
    > Wales).
    >
    > Having (sort of) narrowed the field down to the above models I would
    > be interested in any opinions on their relative merits.
    >
    > I have handled both and the Olympus has a better feel to it but I have
    > heard/read comments to the effect that end results obtained from the
    > Cannon are likely to be superior. Is this true?
    >
    > I'm not sure what to expect from a digital camera in comparison to 35
    > mil but if I have a priority it is landscape/lowlight work.

    Them cannons is bitchin loud when fired!

    PhotoMan, Nov 9, 2003