Olympus C4000 Zoom manual focus

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nosredna, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. nosredna

    nosredna Guest

    After two years of enjoying the basics of my Olympus C4000 Zoom, I
    discovered the "manual focus" setting (by pressing down the OK button
    for more than one second and setting the focus distance) on page 32 of
    the manual ("Advanced Shooting"). Perhaps this feature should instead be
    called "fixed focus setting" instead of "manual focus, because there's
    also an auto focus/manual focus setting in the regular settings (Camera
    settings: Fulltime Autofocus), which I always set to "off." Even when I
    set focus in the "advanced setting" to "auto focus," the regular setting
    stays on manual. Can someone explain why there are two different
    auto/manual focus settings? It seems that the advanced one would be
    useful for blurring a background (or foreground) or, for example,
    keeping the distance constant when photographing a bunch of ebay stuff
    with a tripod or some such project. With the regular focus setting it
    seems there is much more depth of field (unless shooting in manual mode
    with a large aperture).
     
    nosredna, Dec 16, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. nosredna

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    nosredna wrote:
    > After two years of enjoying the basics of my Olympus C4000 Zoom, I
    > discovered the "manual focus" setting (by pressing down the OK button
    > for more than one second and setting the focus distance) on page 32 of
    > the manual ("Advanced Shooting"). Perhaps this feature should instead be
    > called "fixed focus setting" instead of "manual focus, because there's
    > also an auto focus/manual focus setting in the regular settings (Camera
    > settings: Fulltime Autofocus), which I always set to "off." Even when I
    > set focus in the "advanced setting" to "auto focus," the regular setting
    > stays on manual. Can someone explain why there are two different
    > auto/manual focus settings? It seems that the advanced one would be
    > useful for blurring a background (or foreground) or, for example,
    > keeping the distance constant when photographing a bunch of ebay stuff
    > with a tripod or some such project. With the regular focus setting it
    > seems there is much more depth of field (unless shooting in manual mode
    > with a large aperture).



    Hi Nosreda...

    There are two different settings, because they are
    very different :)

    The one you found when you held the ok button is indeed
    manual focus. You (should have) seen the focus scale
    on the right side of the viewfinder, the up down buttons
    will let you select the distance you like.

    The second, continuous focus, is related only to auto
    focus, of course. The camera continually focuses, rather
    than just when you half press the shutter release. Handy
    in some cases - think of a child running toward you, for
    instance. Downside is it's a little tougher on your
    battery consumption. BTW, it's automatically turned on
    for you when you select the program mode "sports". (small
    icon of a skier)

    Hope this helps.

    Ken
     
    Ken Weitzel, Dec 16, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. nosredna

    nosredna Guest

    In article <KRmwd.525435$nl.14085@pd7tw3no>,
    Ken Weitzel <> wrote:

    > nosredna wrote:
    > > After two years of enjoying the basics of my Olympus C4000 Zoom, I
    > > discovered the "manual focus" setting (by pressing down the OK button
    > > for more than one second and setting the focus distance) on page 32 of
    > > the manual ("Advanced Shooting"). Perhaps this feature should instead be
    > > called "fixed focus setting" instead of "manual focus, because there's
    > > also an auto focus/manual focus setting in the regular settings (Camera
    > > settings: Fulltime Autofocus), which I always set to "off." Even when I
    > > set focus in the "advanced setting" to "auto focus," the regular setting
    > > stays on manual. Can someone explain why there are two different
    > > auto/manual focus settings? It seems that the advanced one would be
    > > useful for blurring a background (or foreground) or, for example,
    > > keeping the distance constant when photographing a bunch of ebay stuff
    > > with a tripod or some such project. With the regular focus setting it
    > > seems there is much more depth of field (unless shooting in manual mode
    > > with a large aperture).

    >
    >
    > Hi Nosreda...
    >
    > There are two different settings, because they are
    > very different :)
    >
    > The one you found when you held the ok button is indeed
    > manual focus. You (should have) seen the focus scale
    > on the right side of the viewfinder, the up down buttons
    > will let you select the distance you like.
    >
    > The second, continuous focus, is related only to auto
    > focus, of course. The camera continually focuses, rather
    > than just when you half press the shutter release. Handy
    > in some cases - think of a child running toward you, for
    > instance. Downside is it's a little tougher on your
    > battery consumption. BTW, it's automatically turned on
    > for you when you select the program mode "sports". (small
    > icon of a skier)
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Ken
    >

    It helps, but I'm still a bit confused. By "continuous focus," I assume
    you refer to the setting for Mode Menu/Camera/AF (off/on). I always have
    this OFF, because I like to focus manually (and I understand how
    AutoFocus would be good for sports, etc.). It's my understanding that
    the Mode Menu focus setting is the one to use for a range of "normal"
    conditions, and the "advanced" focus is useful for shooting several
    shots that are the same distance away, or when you want to focus on a
    specific area of the scene and control the depth of field (using it in
    conjunction with Aperture-preferred mode setting). At least I wouldn't
    want to set distance for each shot when I'm doing casual photography.
    least I don't want to set the distance before each shutter action.
    Re: your comment about sports mode setting focus to auto, when I look at
    the setting in the Mode Menu after setting the Sports mode, AutoFocus is
    OFF. But I guess that doesn't matter--shooting in a Programmed mode
    overrides what's set in the Mode Menu?
     
    nosredna, Dec 17, 2004
    #3
  4. nosredna

    TRR Guest

    My C755 doesn't even mention Manual Focus in the book. Nice to know now
    thanks to you...... TRR

    nosredna wrote:
     
    TRR, Dec 17, 2004
    #4
  5. nosredna

    nosredna Guest

    In article <WHIwd.2045$>,
    TRR <> wrote:

    > My C755 doesn't even mention Manual Focus in the book. Nice to know now
    > thanks to you...... TRR
    >

    When I first got the camera, I skimmed through the paper manual (two
    thirds of which is in a foreign language) and got very overwhelmed,
    thinking I would sit down with it eventually and really learn what the
    camera is capable of. I only dug it out the other day when I noticed a
    red "MF" on the bottom right-hand corner of the LCD that I hadn't
    noticed before. I found nothing in the manual about such initials
    appearing on the LCD, but the section on manual focus rang a bell. I
    suspect there's a more thorough explanation in the pdf manual on the CD
    that came with the camera. When I read that, I'm sure I'll find out more
    neat things about this great little camera. Last night I discovered how
    to do selective focusing (hold the shutter down to focus on a point,
    keep it held down, move the camera to frame the shot, and then release
    the shutter).
     
    nosredna, Dec 17, 2004
    #5
  6. nosredna

    Matti Vuori Guest

    nosredna <> wrote in
    news::
    > It helps, but I'm still a bit confused. By "continuous focus," I
    > assume you refer to the setting for Mode Menu/Camera/AF (off/on). I
    > always have this OFF, because I like to focus manually (and I
    > understand how AutoFocus would be good for sports, etc.). It's my
    > understanding that the Mode Menu focus setting is the one to use for a
    > range of "normal" conditions, and the "advanced" focus is useful for
    > shooting several shots that are the same distance away, or when you
    > want to focus on a specific area of the scene and control the depth of
    > field (using it in conjunction with Aperture-preferred mode setting).


    You are wrong. The idea in Fulltime AF is simply to make the camera respond
    faster. If just makes the autofocus more responsive. The downsize of using
    it is more wear to the lens, more battery consumption and more noise.

    --
    Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>
     
    Matti Vuori, Dec 18, 2004
    #6
  7. nosredna

    nosredna Guest

    In article <Xns95C397D526702mvuorikotisoonfi@193.229.0.31>,
    Matti Vuori <> wrote:

    > nosredna <> wrote in
    > news::
    > > It helps, but I'm still a bit confused. By "continuous focus," I
    > > assume you refer to the setting for Mode Menu/Camera/AF (off/on). I
    > > always have this OFF, because I like to focus manually (and I
    > > understand how AutoFocus would be good for sports, etc.). It's my
    > > understanding that the Mode Menu focus setting is the one to use for a
    > > range of "normal" conditions, and the "advanced" focus is useful for
    > > shooting several shots that are the same distance away, or when you
    > > want to focus on a specific area of the scene and control the depth of
    > > field (using it in conjunction with Aperture-preferred mode setting).

    >
    > You are wrong. The idea in Fulltime AF is simply to make the camera respond
    > faster. If just makes the autofocus more responsive. The downsize of using
    > it is more wear to the lens, more battery consumption and more noise.


    When I say "AutoFocus" I don't mean "fulltime AF." There are two
    settings in AutoFocus--fulltime (always on) and regular (you have to
    push the shutter down half way to focus). My point originally is that in
    most cases I would want to push the shutter down rather than go into the
    Manual Focus screen and set the distance. To me, setting the distance
    would be less accurate than the AutoFocus. Do any digital cameras have
    the old-fashioned kind of focusing (focus ring right on the lens)? I
    really miss that about 35mm SLR photography.
     
    nosredna, Dec 19, 2004
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Marc

    Canon S45 vs Olympus C4000

    Marc, Jul 29, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    329
  2. Laddy

    Canon G5 versus Olympus c4000

    Laddy, Nov 1, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    36
    Views:
    868
  3. Catherine Jo Morgan

    any manual focus cameras easy to focus?

    Catherine Jo Morgan, Nov 4, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    443
    Samuel Paik
    Nov 5, 2003
  4. anc

    Dead pixels on Olympus C4000

    anc, Dec 2, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,310
  5. Replies:
    8
    Views:
    1,909
    Mark Sieving
    Aug 17, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page