Olympus C3000 Zoom with Windows XP ?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Martin, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    I have an Olympus C-3000 Zoom camera that I've been using (with
    Camedia Master 2.0) for the last 4-5 years on a computer running
    Windows 2K. A few days ago, I got a new computer with Windows XP and I
    can't get things set up so that pictures can be uploaded to the
    computer.

    I thought that I wouldn't even need Camedia. Doesn't WinXP have the
    ability to see a digital camera as a disc drive? (All I want to do is
    upload pictures - I use a couple of other programs for editing).

    I've Googled around but I can't find a driver specifically for the
    C-3000 with XP (it's connected via a USB cable). But I did download
    and install the one for Win2K. According to the Windows Device
    Manager, it is functioning OK but I can't see the camera as a disc
    drive and Camedia Master tells me that there's no camera attached.

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing working?

    Thanks.

    Martin, Nov 23, 2005

  2. >>I thought that I wouldn't even need Camedia. Doesn't WinXP have the
    >>ability to see a digital camera as a disc drive?

    It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
    drive for Windows to pick it up.

    You are welcome to try my application
    (http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sheppard/photoman/home.htm) which has the
    ability to connect directly to Olympus cameras. Unfortunately I suspect
    that if Camedia is reporting "no camera" then mine will too because I use
    Olympus drivers to access the camera.

    Regards

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:00:37 GMT, "Keith Sheppard"
    <> wrote:

    >>>I thought that I wouldn't even need Camedia. Doesn't WinXP have the
    >>>ability to see a digital camera as a disc drive?

    >It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
    >drive for Windows to pick it up.

    OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
    a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
    such a thing?

    In any case, it seems to me that Camedia should be able to connect to
    the camera (it had no problem in Win2K). Here again, do I need a
    new/different driver?

    Thanks for any further suggestions on this.

    Martin, Nov 23, 2005
  4. >>>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
    >>>drive for Windows to pick it up.

    >OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
    >a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
    >such a thing?

    I don't have any technical information on the C3000 but I would expect a
    camera either would present itself as a USB drive or it won't - probably
    depending upon how modern it is. If it doesn't, I don't think you can make
    it do so.

    My C2100 certainly is not accessible as an external drive and I doubt that
    any driver update would make it otherwise. The camera simply predates the
    technology and I would guess that yours does too.

    >In any case, it seems to me that Camedia should be able to connect to
    >the camera (it had no problem in Win2K). Here again, do I need a
    >new/different driver?

    It might be worth asking Olympus for a more recent version of Camedia. I
    had problems with the version supplied with my camera and Oly sent me an
    upgrade free of charge. The one they sent was version 2.5 but that was a
    while back now. There are probably newer versions than that. I am running
    Camedia 2.5 on Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2) and that works OK.

    It might be interesting also to try my PhotoMan application because that
    uses a more recent version of the Oly interface code than Camedia 2.0.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Nov 23, 2005
  5. Martin

    Paul Allen Guest

    Martin wrote:

    >>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
    >>drive for Windows to pick it up.

    > OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
    > a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
    > such a thing?

    You can't get a camera to behave like a disk drive if its firmware
    doesn't already know how to do that. But, the Oly Camedia cameras
    seem to mostly (all?) know how to look like disks, suggesting a fault
    somewhere.

    > In any case, it seems to me that Camedia should be able to connect to
    > the camera (it had no problem in Win2K). Here again, do I need a
    > new/different driver?

    That would be somewhat surprising, but have you looked on Olympus'
    web site for an updated version of the Camedia software?

    > Thanks for any further suggestions on this.

    Just get a card reader. They're cheap and all modern operating systems
    know what to do with them out of the box.

    Paul Allen

    Paul Allen, Nov 23, 2005
  6. Martin

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:09:44 -0700, Martin <>
    wrote:

    >>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
    >>drive for Windows to pick it up.

    >OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
    >a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
    >such a thing?
    >
    >In any case, it seems to me that Camedia should be able to connect to
    >the camera (it had no problem in Win2K). Here again, do I need a
    >new/different driver?
    >
    >Thanks for any further suggestions on this.

    The C3000 is not able to present itself as a drive; the way this
    camera was designed to use the USB connection is through the Camedia
    software. Period. There may be workarounds, but...
    The best way around this is to use a card reader; this will be much
    easier and faster and give you much more control over what happens to
    the image files.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Nov 23, 2005
  7. Martin

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:57:13 -0800, Paul Allen <"paul dot l dot allen
    at comcast dot net"> wrote:

    >Martin wrote:

    >>>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
    >>>drive for Windows to pick it up.

    >> OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
    >> a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
    >> such a thing?

    >You can't get a camera to behave like a disk drive if its firmware
    >doesn't already know how to do that. But, the Oly Camedia cameras
    >seem to mostly (all?) know how to look like disks, suggesting a fault
    >somewhere.

    The C4xxx series do, but I don't think the C3xxx series does. AIUI.

    Bill Funk, Nov 23, 2005
  8. Martin

    Jack Mac Guest

    wrote:

    >>>I thought that I wouldn't even need Camedia. Doesn't WinXP have the
    >>>ability to see a digital camera as a disc drive?

    >It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
    >drive for Windows to pick it up.
    >
    >You are welcome to try my application
    >(http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sheppard/photoman/home.htm) which has the
    >ability to connect directly to Olympus cameras. Unfortunately I suspect
    >that if Camedia is reporting "no camera" then mine will too because I use
    >Olympus drivers to access the camera.
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Keith

    Sounds like you need one of the inexpensive USB Card Readers.
    That way you don't have to plug your camera into the computer at all.
    Simply remove the memory card from the camera and plug it into
    the Card Reader (Fry's have some for $3.99!)
    I still have an old Olympus C-2100UZ that's never been plugged into
    a computer.

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Nov 23, 2005
  9. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thanks for all of the responses.

    Guess I'll un-install Camedia and the driver and go shopping for a
    card reader.

    Martin, Nov 23, 2005
  10. Martin

    Jack Mac Guest

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:40:31 GMT, "Keith Sheppard" <>
    wrote:

    >>OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
    >>a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
    >>such a thing?

    >I don't have any technical information on the C3000 but I would expect a
    >camera either would present itself as a USB drive or it won't - probably
    >depending upon how modern it is. If it doesn't, I don't think you can make
    >it do so.
    >
    >My C2100 certainly is not accessible as an external drive and I doubt that
    >any driver update would make it otherwise. The camera simply predates the
    >technology and I would guess that yours does too.

    Keith,
    I don't know about your C2100 but the one I have certainly is accessible
    as an external drive with the supplied USB cable. I've always used
    a Card Reader but I still have the USB cable and it's use is covered
    on page 182 of the user's manual. It IS provided with a cable for use
    with a serial port!

    Jack Mac

    Jack Mac, Nov 23, 2005
  11. Martin

    MB Guest

    Forget Camedia and try this:

    PC on, Windows on, all other programs off

    Attach USB cable to Olympus, turn camera dial to "play" (green triangle)

    Go to "My Computer"

    Click on "Olympus," or "Removable Drive"

    Allow images to transfer, then mark all images

    Right click for "copy"

    Go to the folder where you want to have the images

    Right click for "paste"

    Look at the folder to see that the images are really there. Turn camera
    dial from "play" to "off"

    Later you can remove the images from the camera, at the camera, and not
    through the PC.

    MB, Nov 24, 2005
  12. >>Sounds like you need one of the inexpensive USB Card Readers.
    >>That way you don't have to plug your camera into the computer at all.
    >>Simply remove the memory card from the camera and plug it into...

    I have always had concerns about this technique. The card is so flimsy I
    wonder how often you can remove it from the camera and replace it without
    damaging the card and/or its contacts. I feel, instinctively, it's best
    left in place and disturbed as little as possible.

    Incidentally, I once had a card quite heavily scratched after just one
    insertion into a colleague's "cheap" card reader.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Nov 24, 2005
  13. >>I don't know about your C2100 but the one I have certainly is accessible
    >>as an external drive with the supplied USB cable.

    I use the USB cable but I thought it only enabled the camera to be seen by
    Olympus software (ie. Camedia and their SDK). However I shall check this
    out and see if I can get it to appear as a drive.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Nov 24, 2005
  14. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thanks but this doesn't work.

    When I connect the camera to the PC, the "Found new hardware" wizard
    popped up and wanted to install a driver. I allowed it to do so but it
    couldn't find the necessary driver.

    FWIW, this procedure does work with my wife's Canon camera.

    Martin, Nov 24, 2005
  15. Martin

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 05:56:38 -0700, Martin <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks but this doesn't work.
    >
    >When I connect the camera to the PC, the "Found new hardware" wizard
    >popped up and wanted to install a driver. I allowed it to do so but it
    >couldn't find the necessary driver.
    >
    >FWIW, this procedure does work with my wife's Canon camera.

    As I said earlier, this is a camera that won't work this way.
    The C3xxx series of camera just can't do this.
    OTOH, your wife's camera is probably one that will work this way.
    What you need to do is either use the Camedia software, or another app
    that will access the camera, or (the better alternative) use a card
    reader.

    Bill Funk, Nov 24, 2005
  16. Martin

    Ken Bachman Guest

    I had the same problem with my c-2100 and found this solution several years
    ago on rec.photo.digital. It worked perfectly but I ended up getting a card
    reader anyway.

    After Searching, searching and searching I have Michel Gallois from
    fr.rec.photo.numerique to thank for the solution to the "My Olympus Camera
    Doesn't work on Windows XP". After these changes your camera will work
    with the Wizards and you can drag and drop the images off the camera as if
    it were a disk drive (Shows up in My Computer as "Olympus Digital Camera"
    This worked for my C-3030Z, It should also work for these models:
    D360L ,D400Z ,D450Z ,D460Z ,D490Z ,C2000Z
    ,C2020Z,C211Z,C2500L,C3000Z,C3030Z,C2100 based the information in Microsoft
    Knowledge base articles

    Q281090 - Olympus Digital Cameras Require Olympus Camedia Utility Software
    Q293168 - Digital Cameras That Are Supported by WIA in Windows XP

    Unfortunately Microsoft had to drop native support for Olympus in Windows
    XP.
    Legal issues, was the official answer I got. I'm afraid Olympus doesn't want
    Microsoft to get our life easier.
    Anyway. I found the way to make it work.

    You have to edit the file:

    c:\windows\inf\srusbusd.inf

    You'll have to remove two semicolons.

    The section:
    [Manufacturer]
    ;%MfgNikon%=ModelsNikon
    ;%MfgEpson%=ModelsEpson
    remove this semicolon=>;%MfgOlympus%=ModelsOlympus

    Must become:
    [Manufacturer]
    ;%MfgNikon%=ModelsNikon
    ;%MfgEpson%=ModelsEpson
    %MfgOlympus%=ModelsOlympus

    And

    The section:
    [ModelsOlympus]
    remove this semicolon=>;%USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100.Device%=Olympus,
    USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100
    must become:
    [ModelsOlympus]
    %USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100.Device%=Olympus, USB\VID_07B4&PID_0100

    After this, if you have already the Olympus C-2100 in your Device Manager,
    uninstall it and run again the new hardware wizard. Let Windows XP find the
    correct driver. Windows will attempt to frighten you with a catastrophe
    prophecy. Just ignore it and go on (it works perfectly).
    You're done. Now your Windows XP will see your Olympus C-2100 Ultra Zoom
    without any additional software.

    Ken Bachman, Nov 24, 2005
  17. Martin

    Martin Guest

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:36:37 -0700, Bill Funk
    <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 05:56:38 -0700, Martin <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks but this doesn't work.
    >>
    >>When I connect the camera to the PC, the "Found new hardware" wizard
    >>popped up and wanted to install a driver. I allowed it to do so but it
    >>couldn't find the necessary driver.
    >>
    >>FWIW, this procedure does work with my wife's Canon camera.

    >As I said earlier, this is a camera that won't work this way.
    >The C3xxx series of camera just can't do this.
    >OTOH, your wife's camera is probably one that will work this way.
    >What you need to do is either use the Camedia software, or another app
    >that will access the camera, or (the better alternative) use a card
    >reader.

    Yeah, I know. I was just responding to the OP's message.

    I went to BestBuy last night and got a card reader. Got it installed
    and all is good.

    I got one of those multi-slot readers - it'll handle a bunch of
    different kinds of cards. (Maybe I'll get another gadget some time.)

    Which brings me to another question: I took the card from my wife's
    Canon camera and put it in the card reader - just to see if the card
    reader would handle it ok. It does but oddly, it allowed us to see a
    whole bunch of photos on that card which had been deleted (using the
    camera's delete function). The deleted pics were in what appeared to
    be separate folders (when looking at them in Windows Explorer). When I
    put the card back in the camera, the pics were not viewable. How can
    this be?

    Martin, Nov 24, 2005
  18. Martin

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 08:35:26 -0700, Martin <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 06:36:37 -0700, Bill Funk
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 05:56:38 -0700, Martin <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks but this doesn't work.
    >>>
    >>>When I connect the camera to the PC, the "Found new hardware" wizard
    >>>popped up and wanted to install a driver. I allowed it to do so but it
    >>>couldn't find the necessary driver.
    >>>
    >>>FWIW, this procedure does work with my wife's Canon camera.

    >>As I said earlier, this is a camera that won't work this way.
    >>The C3xxx series of camera just can't do this.
    >>OTOH, your wife's camera is probably one that will work this way.
    >>What you need to do is either use the Camedia software, or another app
    >>that will access the camera, or (the better alternative) use a card
    >>reader.

    >Yeah, I know. I was just responding to the OP's message.
    >
    >I went to BestBuy last night and got a card reader. Got it installed
    >and all is good.
    >
    >I got one of those multi-slot readers - it'll handle a bunch of
    >different kinds of cards. (Maybe I'll get another gadget some time.)
    >
    >Which brings me to another question: I took the card from my wife's
    >Canon camera and put it in the card reader - just to see if the card
    >reader would handle it ok. It does but oddly, it allowed us to see a
    >whole bunch of photos on that card which had been deleted (using the
    >camera's delete function). The deleted pics were in what appeared to
    >be separate folders (when looking at them in Windows Explorer). When I
    >put the card back in the camera, the pics were not viewable. How can
    >this be?

    I don't know what camera your wife has...
    Cameras aren't computers. That said, it's possible a camera could use
    a different method of 'deleting' files than a computer uses. I've
    never heard of what you describe though, so I can't really say.
    I'm glad you've found a way to access your images!

    Bill Funk, Nov 25, 2005