    Is a service visit called for, or can I fix it at home (with a hammer?).

    Meanwhile, back to the Brownie....

    Chris
    Chris Seal, Nov 8, 2005

  2. Chris Seal

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Chris Seal wrote:
    > Suddenly my out-of-warranty C-770 will not turn off. It stays in playback
    > mode and the lens does not retract.
    >
    > After the no activity timeout the camera does switch off but the lens
    > remains extended.
    >
    > I just noticed after leaving the camera at home when I went out that the
    > lens did retract by itself (maybe I should go out more!)
    >
    > Is a service visit called for, or can I fix it at home (with a hammer?).
    >
    > Meanwhile, back to the Brownie....
    >
    > Chris

    Hi Chris...

    Gee, another flashback! My old Brownie Hawkeye :) :)

    I'd suggest that the first and simplest test should perhaps be to
    simply remove the batteries; leave them out for 24 hours or so.

    Then re-install them and see how it goes.

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Nov 8, 2005

  3. Chris Seal

    Paul Allen Guest

    Ken Weitzel wrote:

    > Chris Seal wrote:
    >
    >> Suddenly my out-of-warranty C-770 will not turn off. It stays in playback
    >> mode and the lens does not retract.
    >>
    >> After the no activity timeout the camera does switch off but the lens
    >> remains extended.
    >>
    >> I just noticed after leaving the camera at home when I went out that the
    >> lens did retract by itself (maybe I should go out more!)
    >>
    >> Is a service visit called for, or can I fix it at home (with a hammer?).
    >>
    >> Meanwhile, back to the Brownie....
    >>
    >> Chris

    > Hi Chris...
    >
    > Gee, another flashback! My old Brownie Hawkeye :) :)

    Gee, indeed! My first camera was a Brownie Starmite. It ended
    its service life with most of its non-essential components removed
    as a payload on a kite, with a rubber band, some string, and a fuse
    to trigger the shutter. I don't recall getting anything useful from
    that experiment. :)

    > I'd suggest that the first and simplest test should perhaps be to
    > simply remove the batteries; leave them out for 24 hours or so.

    I'd suggest the same thing. If you can get Olympus to talk to you,
    they'll probably want more than the value of the camera just to
    look at the thing. It's not that big a deal if it routinely goes
    to sleep with the lens extended, is it? I mean, it's not ideal,
    but is it so bad that you'd go back to the Brownie? Will it not
    turn back on once it's got itself stuck?

    Paul Allen
    Paul Allen, Nov 8, 2005
  4. >>If you can get Olympus to talk to you,
    >>they'll probably want more than the value of the camera just to
    >>look at the thing.

    I don't know if it varies with country, but in the UK I sent my Oly back for
    a repair and I got a written estimate from Olympus and the terms were I
    could accept the fixed price repair or, if I thought it was too much, have
    them send the camera back to me, unrepaired, and all I'd lost was the
    initial postage. I thought that wasn't a bad deal.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Nov 8, 2005
  5. Chris Seal

    Shaw news Guest

    I had the same thing happened to my C-740 when I forgot to flip open the
    Olycap and the lens attempted to extend against an obstruction. It stuck
    extended. Finally fixed after pulling and pushing the lens tube while the
    camera is cranking. Perhaps the same is happening here. Good luck.

    --

    remove NOSPAM for email address

    Shaw news, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Chris Seal

    Chris Seal Guest

    You might be on to something there.

    When the camera has timed out, just touching the extended lens turns it on.

    I'll play around with that idea.

    BTW. I removed the battery for 48 hours, but it didn't reset anything.

    Chris Seal, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Chris Seal

    Chris Seal Guest

    Playing around with the lens barrel didn't change anything.

    But, here's some more information.

    Run camera, set no activity timer to 30 seconds.
    Turn off camera. Lens does not retract and camera stays on in playback mode.
    Timeout occurs. LCD shuts off but lens does not retract.
    Five hours later the lens retracts!

    No, I didn't watch over it for five hours. The camera was next to me while I
    was working.

    Incidentally, between the timeout and five hours, if any control on the
    camera is touched, the camera wakes up. After the five-hour wait, touching
    the camera's controls does not wake it up-it is truly off.

    Are there any camera technicians who can tell me what is happening?

    Chris Seal, Nov 11, 2005
  8. Chris Seal

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Chris Seal wrote:
    > Playing around with the lens barrel didn't change anything.
    >
    > But, here's some more information.
    >
    > Run camera, set no activity timer to 30 seconds.
    > Turn off camera. Lens does not retract and camera stays on in playback mode.
    > Timeout occurs. LCD shuts off but lens does not retract.
    > Five hours later the lens retracts!
    >
    > No, I didn't watch over it for five hours. The camera was next to me while I
    > was working.
    >
    > Incidentally, between the timeout and five hours, if any control on the
    > camera is touched, the camera wakes up. After the five-hour wait, touching
    > the camera's controls does not wake it up-it is truly off.
    >
    > Are there any camera technicians who can tell me what is happening?

    Hi Chris...

    Send me an email, please.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Nov 11, 2005
  9. Chris Seal

    ASAAR Guest

    On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 19:59:43 -0500, Chris Seal wrote:

    >> BTW. I removed the battery for 48 hours, but it didn't reset anything.

    > Run camera, set no activity timer to 30 seconds.
    > Turn off camera. Lens does not retract and camera stays on in playback mode.
    > Timeout occurs. LCD shuts off but lens does not retract.
    > Five hours later the lens retracts!
    >
    > No, I didn't watch over it for five hours. The camera was next to me while I
    > was working.
    >
    > Incidentally, between the timeout and five hours, if any control on the
    > camera is touched, the camera wakes up. After the five-hour wait, touching
    > the camera's controls does not wake it up-it is truly off.

    There's one more thing you could try, depending on what you meant
    by "but it didn't reset anything" after the battery had been removed
    for 48 hours. If you meant that the camera still didn't function
    normally but the camera's settings were lost, or its clock /
    calendar was off and had to be reset, then it needs to be repaired
    or replaced. But if the settings or clock / calendar were not
    affected, then the camera's internal computer might only need to be
    reset, and removing the battery for only 48 hours isn't long enough
    to accomplish that. Usually that would be long enough if a normal
    capacitor is used to keep the memory/clock going while the batteries
    are removed. But a few cameras use a small internal battery that
    recharges slowly from the voltage supplied by the main battery.
    Some Sony cameras do this, and their manual states that the small
    internal battery can protect the memory settings and clock /
    calendar for up to a month. If your Olympus camera is designed
    similarly and you can get by without the use of it for an extended
    period, you could see if leaving the battery out for a month or more
    will allow the camera to reset itself. It would be best, though, if
    an Olympus technician could first verify this. If the technician
    says that a reset will occur after 4 days, you wouldn't have to
    unnecessarily be without the use of the camera for nearly a month.
    On the other hand, if you were told that the main battery had to be
    removed for at least 45 days, you'd know that removing the battery
    for only 30 days would also be a fruitless waste of time, but would
    now know the correct amount of time to have the battery removed.
    ASAAR, Nov 11, 2005
  10. Chris Seal

    Chris Seal Guest

    Hi ASAAR,

    No settings were lost after 48 hr without main battery.

    I'll have to find out how long the internal battery lasts, then keep the
    main battery out for longer than that.

    Have to get another camera in the meantime - that Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
    looks good (it's only money!).

    Thanks...

    Chris Seal, Nov 12, 2005
  11. Chris Seal

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:44:28 -0500, Chris Seal wrote:

    > I'll have to find out how long the internal battery lasts, then keep the
    > main battery out for longer than that.

    Well, I just assumed it might be a battery since that's what some
    other cameras use. From what I've read though, another possibility
    is a "super capacitor", but a battery still seems more likely.

    > Have to get another camera in the meantime - that Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
    > looks good (it's only money!).

    Good choice. It'll make a fine backup camera when you get the
    Oly C-770 working again. :)

    > Thanks...

    You're welcome.
    ASAAR, Nov 12, 2005
  12. Chris Seal

    Rokker

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Did this problem ever get sorted? Did anyone find a fix? I have the same problem with my camera.
    Rokker, Jun 22, 2011