    Which one is a better camera for taking traveling pictures? C-4000 has
    f2.8 constant zoom all throughout its zoom ratio of 32mm to 96mm. Is
    10 x zoom very helpful zoom during travel? With thanks.

    arfam4, Sep 16, 2003

  2. arfam4

    JK Guest

    Both have their limitations. The extreme telephoto on the C750
    might only be useful if you are using a tripod in anything but the
    brightest light though. The Sony F717 might be a good compromise
    between the two. It has a 5x zoom lens that is f2-2.4. It is a bit
    bulky though.

    JK, Sep 16, 2003

  3. arfam4

    Mike Graham Guest

    In article <>, JK wrote:

    > Both have their limitations. The extreme telephoto on the C750
    > might only be useful if you are using a tripod in anything but the
    > brightest light though.

    It's only f3.5 or something like that at extreme telephoto, so it's not
    that big a deal light-wise, though it certainly can be a bit of a prick to
    keep it steady at full zoom. Trying to shoot decent pictures from a moving
    vehicle at full zoom would probably be very difficult. If you can rest the
    camera against a tree or something then you should have no difficulty.

    mike 'at' metalmangler.com |

    <http://www.metalmangler.com/photos/photos.htm>
    <http://www.photo.net/shared/community-member?user_id=766040>

    Mike Graham, Sep 16, 2003
  4. arfam4

    Dave Oddie Guest

    On 15 Sep 2003 20:09:12 -0700, (arfam4) wrote:

    >Which one is a better camera for taking traveling pictures? C-4000 has
    >f2.8 constant zoom all throughout its zoom ratio of 32mm to 96mm. Is
    >10 x zoom very helpful zoom during travel? With thanks.

    I have always found when on my travels you need wider angle lenses rather than
    telephoto.

    For example taking a shot down a narrow street you might want to get into the
    shot than the widest angle (38mm I think) that the 750 has. It may not sound
    much a 6mm difference, but the differences in field of view are much greater at
    the wide end than the telephoto. So while you might not notice a big
    difference between a camera like a Sony V1 at full telephoto which is 136mm
    compared to a Canon G5 (140mm) you will notice the difference between the
    wide-angle performance of the 4000 and 750.

    If you are concerned about running out of telephoto you can buy an add-on
    tele-converter for the 4000. This will increase what you have to carry and
    still won't get you anywhere close to the 750 telephoto but then you really
    need a tripod for that which also means more to carry.

    Dave

    --

    Wigan Warriors RLFC - 1998 Super League Champions
    (Oh - and Grand Final winners as well)

    Dave Oddie, Sep 16, 2003
  5. For many years when I just had a film camera, I traveled with a bag full of
    lenses. After a while, I realized that the lens that I used the most was
    the 28mm. I eventually left the rest home. For most pictures when
    traveling, a wide angle (at least to me) is much more important that a
    telephoto.

    Jerry

    Gerald Reichow, Sep 16, 2003
  6. arfam4

    JK Guest

    It depends what you like to photograph. A 28mm lens on a 35mm camera
    would not be a good choice for head and shoulder portraits for example.
    An 85mm or 100mm lens would be a much better choice.The lens I used
    most with my film camera was a 50mm 1.4. If I was just taking the camera
    with one lens, it would be with that one. I guess part of the reason was that
    the lens is very fast, and able to be used in low light. If I had an 85mm f1.4
    lens, that might have been my favorite lens. A 50mm lens on a 10D
    or Digital Rebel acts like an 80mm lens, so that would be great for me,
    as fast 50mm lenses are very inexpensive.A fast 28mm lens is also quite
    useful on a 35mm camera(my 28mm f2 lens was used quite a bit), as is one around
    135mm.

    JK, Sep 16, 2003